Airlayering a juniper - Step by Step

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Graydon,

That's weird and too bad. I wonder what the cause was:confused:.........I really hope the air-layer didn't cause it.:(

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I looked at them both today, one was more dead than the other. I am guessing at this but potentially to much water. They were both in akadama, pumice and lava and it was free draining but perhaps not free draining enough with water 2 times daily. I also fed everything pretty heavily recently based on my "no time" schedule.

I will say the root pad development was real nice on the layer just before it died. I kept it and will post photos as soon as I can.

Anyhow i think I will try this again if I ever find some nice material.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I looked at them both today, one was more dead than the other. I am guessing at this but potentially to much water. They were both in akadama, pumice and lava and it was free draining but perhaps not free draining enough with water 2 times daily. I also fed everything pretty heavily recently based on my "no time" schedule.

I will say the root pad development was real nice on the layer just before it died. I kept it and will post photos as soon as I can.

Anyhow i think I will try this again if I ever find some nice material.

Being that I know close to nothing about junipers, this is good info and warning to the wise! Thanks. I would be interested to see the pics too....

We could have a moment of silence while viewing them :D

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well This juni bit the dust. It was attacked by scale....I sprayed malathion (did that do it?) and it is gone now.

Good thing is...I'm an optimist...which means I now have a chance to try a tanuki!:D

Now if I can only find a long flexible shimpaku whip........

Edit: Forgot to mention that I checked the place where I cut and it didn't push anything root like. In fact all made was calluses. I thought I cut it pretty deep too. I've done close to five air layers (on other species) prior to this one and it is the first to fail. *sigh* Oh well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom