Akadama in Los Angeles

Breeze46

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Do any of our friends on the left coast know of a source of Akadama in Los Angeles? I will be there the first of next month and have some time on my hands. Something near LAX would be perfect, buy not required. Finding it here in northwest florida is near impossible.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know you want to use kakadama in the humid land of Florida.

And if it is successful....

Are you going to be able to go back to LA to get more?

I would be looking for a local source for something else....

If you get used to it.....and can't get more when you find a beast of a tree to dig and pot......you will have to use something else.....
It's better to put that prize in something you can always get, and are familiar with.

Just a thought.

Sorce

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Akadama is so 2015 ^^ I use cat litter clay, but you need to test it first and only works with the right clay type.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do any of our friends on the left coast know of a source of Akadama in Los Angeles? I will be there the first of next month and have some time on my hands. Something near LAX would be perfect, buy not required. Finding it here in northwest florida is near impossible.

Try David Nguy. While you're there, have a look at his impressive selection of collected California juniper. I don't think any are planted in kitty litter, but perhaps he hasn't yet heard how inferior pumice/lava/akadama is yet.

http://www.bonsaijidai.com/contactus.html

Scott

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I've seen people using Akadama in Florida and all over the US with great success. I think House of Bonsai in Lakewood(30 min-ish) from LAX has it, I would give them a call first.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Works for me in Houston and our climate is very similar to yours. Wherever you choose to go, inquire about bulk shipments. Some of these places may be willing to sell you a pallet at significant cost savings.

Scott

Reaction score
Do all the posts with the magic word Akadama take these courses? Its rather funny tho.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then you must read the bag.....Japanese.

Or take the word of a man selling things....
sometimes referred to as Greek, but really boils down to your "want" for something.

And if you are traveling across country for said product....meet me up by the Golden Gate....I'll make you a deal!

A good salesman will sell that "want" dogshit, thats how it works....
I'm just pointing it out so you remove the "want" and dont get hosed.

And because.....8822 is the best soil!
But I have a secret love affair with NASCAR.

People should just disclose THEIR love affair
with "NASCAR", and help you pick the right bag!

Redline to Redline?

Or mushy for your tushy?

Sorce

Breeze46

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I don't know you want to use kakadama in the humid land of Florida.

And if it is successful....

Are you going to be able to go back to LA to get more?

I would be looking for a local source for something else....

If you get used to it.....and can't get more when you find a beast of a tree to dig and pot......you will have to use something else.....
It's better to put that prize in something you can always get, and are familiar with.

Just a thought.

Sorce

Good point on humidity, but I am in Pensacola and it is only 50 miles from Mobile. Our climate is not the same as Orlando or points south. As far as getting to LA, we have a son and granddaughter in LA so between trips out and their trips here I can manage to get some. I am familiar with Turface, and do have a source for it. I have just started using pumice and lava as a mix, and thought I would add a little Akadama to some of the trees. Thinking more for the deciduous trees, maples for example. Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Gary Ishii's place is only 15 minutes from LAX Chikugo-en Bonsai 18110 S. Western Ave. GArdena, CA 310 323-4011
My nursery is about 35-45 minutes north of the airport if you wanted to come see us.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
work Akadama

Work Akadama...definition....

1. To be busy all fall thru spring, cleaning mud from the bottom of your pot....

2. To fight courageously in pixel battles for soil supremacy.....

3. Studying Japanese to understand what you are buying......

4. The type of Akadama Dav4 used, exclusively in the "bonsai at work" thread.

5. The soil one sells, but does not use.

For real....I hardly know BP....
But I would Probly trust him to remain my hookup.... I'd take the 45min!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For real....I hardly know BP....
But I would Probly trust him to remain my hookup.... I'd take the 45min!

Why?

Because he comes here and invites us...
And we are brutal in the reviews threads.

BP knows this....yet he invites....sounds a man with nothing to hide. And quality to sell you.

Sorce

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
House of Bonsai in Lakewood sells it. Also San Gabriel Nursery had a large order in a few months ago--not sure if they still have any more but is still a nice nursery to check out. Also the places mentioned by bonsaibp should have it too.

Top Bottom