All aboard the Mugo train!

Toot Toot Toot. It's good to see so many Mugos. I have seen Mike's I wish we had had more time to spend on it this weekend. I spent a good deal more time with other people than was my intent at the clubs request.

I had a great time. I also have all kinds of pictures to share too.

Sorry we were not able to make the Pinch a Juni movie. I had no idea I was going to get as busy as I got and I really appreciate you comming to help me pick up the slack at my vendors table.

I had trees for sale on there too Vance.
Did I win that Demo tree?

My Mugo Go-Go...My Mugo Go.

You can see the short last years needles.
This springs gangly needles.
And the midsummer new growth I been getting.20150811_063618.jpg

This is the last branch in the inside of the trunk curve I'm not trying to utilize. The last one will likely go to.

More On Pugo Mine.

Sorce

Yes you did have some trees for sale and no you did not win the Demo tree, Jimmy Whitely did, sorry, I didn't win the loto either. I do appreciate you being there and next year if you are coming down please bring more Jack Pines, those are special. I can't wait to see what I can do with the one you gave me.

What's that growing in? Doesn't look very porous.

My Mugo Go-Go...My Mugo Go.

You can see the short last years needles.
This springs gangly needles.
And the midsummer new growth I been getting.View attachment 79689

This is the last branch in the inside of the trunk curve I'm not trying to utilize. The last one will likely go to.

More On Pugo Mine.

Sorce
I think you are making decent progress with your Mugo. What are the lighting conditions you have this tree in? It looks to me like it might not be getting quite enough light.

What's that growing in? Doesn't look very porous.

Nursery soil still. It dries It up in 2 days or less at the 85's.

What are the lighting conditions you have this tree in

It gets full sun from noon till about 8. Its the one on the back porch were it gets floodlight all night.

I thought the too long needles may be too much fert.

If we get tree specific. We can Go to Pugo Mine.

Thanks a ton!

Sorce

Take a look at the previous growth. This is something like it should be but the weather has not been as hot in this part of the country as normal and the needles seem to be getrting really long. What you need to do is remove the new growth down to where it started in the spring. Obviously you have a good deal of energy pushing this tree so the results should be memorable. Check out the video I did last year about shoot removal.

Have we ever discussed the soil issue with this tree, and the kind of container you have it growing in? I'm sorry if we have but as of now I have so many people talking to me about their Mugo Pines I forget who has what and why.

Have we ever discussed the soil issue with this tree, and the kind of container you have it growing in? I'm sorry if we have but as of now I have so many people talking to me about their Mugo Pines I forget who has what and why.

Briefly maybe.

I was thinking about cutting back, or slipping it in a depot basket.

I couldn't make up my mind so I kind of said forget it till next year. But I do want to move it along.

I'm dreading the roots cuz they circle bad, I was thinking of just cutting them where it stands, and leaving a repot for next year. This would keep me from gnawing them all off in a furious repot. I get like that.

I do have roots growing out the bottom finally.
If this vigor is good for a repot now. I may want to take advantage, cuz it seems the top growth won't get away from me for a while. And I knocked out a lot of the knuckle branches.20150811_175250.jpg

I have a lil oil dry and perlite on hand.
God those circling roots.! Gast.

Sorce

Because there are a lot of passengers on this locomotive barreling down the tracks!
And you led almost everyone to their seats by letting everyone in on your techniques for these trees.
Thank you Vance.

Vance:
When an why do you cut off this years growth?
Joedes3

Mine DIED. Too much work I am guessing, followed by a very hot summer. Close to 50-60 days over 90 already and August just started...

View attachment 79697
God those circling roots.! Gast.

Aside from the fact that they tend to do poorly in zones 9 and 10, those roots and the large number of branches all up and down the trunk are why I don't care for this species. How do you go from this to something attractive when you have that many stubs to deal with? Do you just prune them all back with concave cutters and wait years and years for all of them to callous over?.

Aside from the fact that they tend to do poorly in zones 9 and 10, those roots and the large number of branches all up and down the trunk are why I don't care for this species. How do you go from this to something attractive when you have that many stubs to deal with? Do you just prune them all back with concave cutters and wait years and years for all of them to callous over?.

Yes I do intend to do just that.

I don't mean to attack you here Michael, but doesn't this thing take years and years?

Seems like in general, the fear of time is gonna make for no good bonsai.

Sorce

Vance:
When an why do you cut off this years growth?
Joedes3
That way you get a lot of new buds that are substantially smaller meaning a lot of growth that has smaller needles.

once the stubs dry out you can jin them or cut them back all the way to the trunk. If you cut back too early the scar will be huge and ugly, if you wait till the raw stub dries out the scar will be small.

Back
Top Bottom