All aboard the Mugo train!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Set this guy aside first day on th job. about a 2" trunk with tons of movement. Hopefully I can find a good pot for it by june. . .
Oh yeah! You started working at a nursery. How do you like it? More work than you thought huh? Lots to do at those places but when I worked at one I enjoyed it.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
What variety is it? All of the ones I seem to find are basically pin cushions.

This one was without the label but all the rest in the nursery were pumilios. In the test half are pumilio and other half mughus

And here is the one for junior team, pumilio for sure.

mugo junior 003.jpg

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
Oh yeah! You started working at a nursery. How do you like it? More work than you thought huh? Lots to do at those places but when I worked at one I enjoyed it.

I love it. Ive always been one who cant handle being at a desk. Its probably the best job I've ever had truth be told. And it's definitely more work than I imagined.

An average day involves 3-4hrs of watering every morning. then its moving around product, repotting shrubs and trees, maybe some sales here and there. I think I may have found my niche. I'm never going to stop bonsai, but I would rather own a generic nursery who also caters to bonsai artists, instead of working towards owning or starting my own bonsai garden.(the PAC NW is already saturated with gardens and pro artists) I really enjoy propagating so maybe being a producer of high quality prebonsai is in my stars. . . who knows.

What kind of nursery did you work at?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love it. Ive always been one who cant handle being at a desk. Its probably the best job I've ever had truth be told. And it's definitely more work than I imagined.

An average day involves 3-4hrs of watering every morning. then its moving around product, repotting shrubs and trees, maybe some sales here and there. I think I may have found my niche. I'm never going to stop bonsai, but I would rather own a generic nursery who also caters to bonsai artists, instead of working towards owning or starting my own bonsai garden.(the PAC NW is already saturated with gardens and pro artists) I really enjoy propagating so maybe being a producer of high quality prebonsai is in my stars. . . who knows.

What kind of nursery did you work at?
It was a landscape nursery. They had 40 acres of spruces and pines in the ground. I dug the large ones out with a tree spade and dug all of the smaller ones out by hand. I delivered and planted trees. I also potted bare root fruit tree stock when it came in every spring. I manicured Christmas trees with a machete and lots more.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
oh jeez that's a lot. I've been a little hesitant to mention it on here. . . . but I'm crazy good at topiary apparently. I'll snap some pictures tomorrow. But I can do spirals, levels, little puff balls, I haven't tried a dog or giraffe yet but i'm pretty sure I could nail it. lol

I haven't gotten to go out to it yet but the bosses(he has a masters in hort. his wife a masters in bio both of them easily in their 60's) have a 25acre farm with five 100'x60' green houses and tons of stuff growing in the ground. He said hes going to take me out there one of these days so I can rummage through the old stock they have.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vance:
When can I cut the 2 inch stubs I leave after trimming? Any thoughts on further action on any of these trees? Or this one? Thanks Joedes
index.php

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Beautiful tree Joedes...that's a very nice find and I look forward to future progressions.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How long ago did you cut the branches off. I left my stubs on a year to be sure.
Vance will be off the grid for a while. Left the reservation. His two week stint in the haha hotel has come around again this year. He'll be back all fresh and full of piss and vinegar.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Take them off if you don't plan using them for a jin. They have served their purpose. The trees look a lot nicer without the unsightly things but are a necessary evil for a year.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's another! I got this a week or so ago. Regular Mugo. All of these Mugos are going down to see Vance with me. I know what I want to do with them but he will be the guy to tell me if I'm right. Plus I can say I have trees that Vance Wood himself worked on.2015-04-30 09.43.09.jpg

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That looks like a fun tree Mike...I'll be interested to see what you and Vance come up with.

Top Bottom