All aboard the Mugo train!

That's not what Brian said, you can make that argument and you are probably right but I have had so many loaded questions coming from this direction I felt the need to ask what kind of Pine was it. This is what Brian wrote: Repotted a pine on Father's Day in San Antonio and it was dead in 4 weeks. What do you make of it Vance?
The posts were back to back. Maybe I was wrong to assume you read them both. But I see this as a lost opportunity in your quest to prove mugo can grow anywhere south of the moon, or perhaps it's another indication that they can't.

I sure don't see them around here. Wish I did, but I've had better luck sticking with what grows well here. Like mugos do for you up there. Maybe for fun, you could sell me one and I'll grow it here in Bama and we can see how it goes. At least that experiment would eliminate the newbie factor. Got one you want to sell?

I have had so many loaded questions coming from this direction

Repotted a pine on Father's Day in San Antonio and it was dead in 4 weeks. What do you make of it Vance?
I'll tell you what I make of it. Father's day in the south is the wrong time to repot a mugo pine. The growing season starts earlier there. It should have been done earlier. After the shoots extended but before they hardened off. The Father's day repotting time is for Vance's climate. For me it's later. Like July 4 it starts. To take father's day as repotting time for mugo pines all across the country would be ludicrous. Vance tells people they might have to adjust for their climate. Most only see Father's day as the time. It isn't Vance's fault people can't think for themselves.
And you know that.

I'll tell you what I make of it. Father's day in the south is the wrong time to repot a mugo pine. The growing season starts earlier there. It should have been done earlier. After the shoots extended but before they hardened off. The Father's day repotting time is for Vance's climate. For me it's later. Like July 4 it starts. To take father's day as repotting time for mugo pines all across the country would be ludicrous. Vance tells people they might have to adjust for their climate. Most only see Father's day as the time. It isn't Vance's fault people can't think for themselves.
And you know that.
Thanks for the support. It may be true that Mugos wont grow that far South, but I am currently working on a mutual project with someone in basically the same climate. I know Brian has offered to buy one and send to Bama for him to work on. The fact does not hide itself, Brian has never been a fan of mine and has proven over the years he seeks any opportunity to prove me wrong or discredit my efforts. He seems to comb every thread I post on looking for errors so that he can point them out. To think that I might look at this request as anything but disingenuous would be a serious error on my part, right or wrong. He has not proven that he is an individual I can or should trust.

He has not proven that he is an individual I can or should trust.

I think you should send him one free...
This way people also understand how giving broke folks are too!

Plus...taking out the newbie factor, I think it could work...

Brian....don't kill it on purpose!
And be nice to Vance for God same!
I hate when you 2 go at it!

Sorce

The new buds will start to form and appear about two weeks after the shoots have been cut. If you have fertilized your tree or the tree is healthy that will happen. If it is not happening fertilze further and in August there is one last attempt at making new buds for next year. You want those buds to form this year to gain strength. The growth you will get from next spring based on the buds forming in the spring can be weak and hard to deal with.

Actually you are right (duh! Of course you are!): one of my mugo already has some little buds popping up :)
I don't remember they did that last year after I bought them, cut 1/3rd of the root ball, re-poted them and did the 1st structural pruning.
May be I forgot or is it normal that they don't bud back within the same growing season of their 1st year?

That's not what Brian said, you can make that argument and you are probably right but I have had so many loaded questions coming from this direction I felt the need to ask what kind of Pine was it. This is what Brian wrote: Repotted a pine on Father's Day in San Antonio and it was dead in 4 weeks. What do you make of it Vance?

Hey, don't shoot the messenger......
I'm not the one fighting you here.

I know what Brian wrote, but think about it for a second. Brian is in Alabama so I know did not repot a pine in San Antonio on father's day. Rick, who is in San Antonio just had a pine die. Perhaps Brian should have been clearer. I'm with sorce, I wish you two would get along. I like both of you and appreciate the help you guys give to others.

Another note: I agree with Mike that you can not blame yourself for someone else's mugo not making it.
I agree with you that the transfer to Texas from Michigan plus the repotting probably stressed it out too much. All in all, it was a good test though.

@RickMartin, you shouldn't be hard on yourself either. You tried something, it didn't work but it taught you something too. Also shit happens. If/when you get back to a better climate, try again.

Last edited:
It may be true that Mugos wont grow that far South, but I am currently working on a mutual project with someone in basically the same climate.

My Wife is growing a Banana tree up here... Given the proper attention the reverse is possible with Mugo being a bit tougher then most other Pines and given that should be able to grow. Hell, I just took receipt for bougainvillea that came from Alabama and have Serissa from there... They will grow and in some cases better then local plants if the Summer is excessively hot...

Grimmy

I just made alot of mistakes

Rick
I kill mugo pines and scots pines and jack pines on a scale much larger than you Rick. And that's up here where they thrive.
I make mistakes all of the time too.
Who cares?
You do finally have a pine that does like you though. So all isn't lost.

Thanks for the support. It may be true that Mugos wont grow that far South, but I am currently working on a mutual project with someone in basically the same climate. I know Brian has offered to buy one and send to Bama for him to work on. The fact does not hide itself, Brian has never been a fan of mine and has proven over the years he seeks any opportunity to prove me wrong or discredit my efforts. He seems to comb every thread I post on looking for errors so that he can point them out. To think that I might look at this request as anything but disingenuous would be a serious error on my part, right or wrong. He has not proven that he is an individual I can or should trust.
You can address me directly, @Vance Wood , as I will address you. You are correct, I'm not a Vance Wood fanboy, but I don't seek any opportunities to prove you wrong or discredit your efforts. In fact, I rarely seek you out at all. However, people do follow your work and contributions, and so when I read something inconsistent with my reasoning (from you or anyone), I question it and look for an answer that makes sense. Clearly you aren't willing to engage in a challenging conversation, so you resort to this nonsense. I need this arguement like I need a mugo pine in Alabama; you can keep both for yourself.

I would engage in a conversation with you if you had ever given me the evidence that you were able and willing to have any kind of respectful conversation with me. You may or may not have noticed I never go searching out your posts and the only time I see them is when they seem to cross with my own. It is usually after some sort of acerbic comment that would raise the hackles on a dead rooster, as those that started this exchange, where you start up a conversation of sorts.

Well this just threw a monkey wrench into the fire. A couple from my club have been growing a few for 3 years and they are thriving. The club is having tour of houses by membere and theirs is on the list so when this happens i will take pics and post them.

Rick

Well this just threw a monkey wrench into the fire. A couple from my club have been growing a few for 3 years and they are thriving. The club is having tour of houses by membere and theirs is on the list so when this happens i will take pics and post them.

Rick

Then it would be worth getting one locally to you and trying again. At least we would hope that it should be better acclimated to your climate instead of Michigan.

I think it is important that the tree be given a year/season or two to acclimate itself before any serious work is done to it. I believe the entire kerfuffle was over why the tree did not survive a summer repotting. We live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom