All my trident maple seedlings have wilty tops. Too much sun?

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd bet fungal instead of heat. I would make sure these stay in lots of sun with adequate water and ventilation and they'll push new growth shortly.
Thanks. I thought tridents were just fine in full sun, so this was confusing.

They are however, clumped closely together with lots of other stuff. I'll space out and see what happens.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
We are in a drought here and I noticed my tridents that are in my growing ground were wilted like that. So I gave them a good soak with a hose and they perked right up so don’t underestimate water stress. These are in part shade under some tall tulip poplars.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'd also say fungal or insect damage.
To me 'wilted' means the soft stems are bending down - extra water will usually help and the tips stand up within minutes.
This looks more like the new leaves are not opening out fully - deformed leaves rather than what I understand as wilted but that's just terminology.

Symptoms like this are usually transient here and later leaves open normal so you may choose to treat or just hold off and see what happens. Spacing the plants should allow more air and may solve the problem too.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like deformed leaves to me and not normal wilting. A better photo would help.
Aphids can cause this so a soap treatment might do the trick.

Top Bottom