American Hornbeam Forest

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hello, starting a new thread on the journey for this 25+ tree American hornbeam forest. It’s in leftover pumice , lava , akadama , top soil and peat moss , no wire just picked them all in tightly , wired and top dressed w sphagnum and moss. 2-4 years it will be ready for a pot . Gonna just feed the hell out of it for this year , and let roots escape into ground , cut back branches ever so often eventually
I have a long Nao forest pot for it already
0819D24F-185D-443A-9E79-391DC66645AE.png26332859-25AC-41D2-B585-DBDC374484F8.jpeg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Terrible pictures ugh, I feel my 95 year old grandma w my phone sometimes lol
75D4129B-CE3D-4F02-9C06-DFD582302247.jpeg

Attachments

• 9882360D-F797-4B87-9434-B772B8E72FF5.jpeg
    9882360D-F797-4B87-9434-B772B8E72FF5.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 6

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
3EC1DA28-422A-4267-A0D7-7349D6FF198F.jpeg
Most of these are opening or about to open it’s so big I can’t even use my foam board back drop .. but it will be great forest one day.. 🤞

oh yeah and this 5 tree forest I put together last year.
EEDB90AB-DD2D-42AE-98F0-C51AF546D5EA.jpeg
These will sit on the ground on top of pea gravel. What happens is the roots escape from the bottom , and it will help with the tree growth but also root cohesion.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Trimmed this back a couple weeks ago to get light on interior trees. Last prune of the year. It’s on the ground and some roots have started to escape .. this is what I want because I would really love to have this as a forest in a couple years and I need the roots to mesh together 53EFDB2C-1689-4E56-B17E-7ED761AA64FD.jpeg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
IMG_4344.jpeg
My secret sauce of soil seems to be doing the trick.. I got roots meshed together in a matter of one growing season, roots are escaped all over. And back budding galore.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
img_4967-jpeg.520583

One more growing season before it goes into this..
IMG_4971.png

but I think I need to find a principle tree unless I just grow the tallest out more

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I love that pot. That's a perfect match for the bark and foliage color, especially the fall bronze,

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm a huge fan of American hornbeams and I'm a huge fan of your forest. If it looks that good for 1 years growth you are well on your way!

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
Honestly you need to let a few of those grow in the ground, chop, grow, chop and so forth. They are all basically a bunch of saplings in a tub. You really should consider a pot at this point as it's not ready really. you need some really thick trunks mixed with thin to create a dynamic forest. If it was me I would ground grow a bunch of those to thicken them up.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Honestly you need to let a few of those grow in the ground, chop, grow, chop and so forth. They are all basically a bunch of saplings in a tub. You really should consider a pot at this point as it's not ready really. you need some really thick trunks mixed with thin to create a dynamic forest. If it was me I would ground grow a bunch of those to thicken them up.
I have it growing on an Anderson flat so roots escape really easy without losing the shallow roots in container , and also allowing the roots to commingle together. I picked the pot out already because I wanted an American hornbeam forest. And no I’m not cutting back and chopping as this Is a Hornbeam forest and not a Japanese maple

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Love the pot choice! American hornbeam is one of my favorite species. Looking forward to the development on this one.

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
I have it growing on an Anderson flat so roots escape really easy without losing the shallow roots in container , and also allowing the roots to commingle together. I picked the pot out already because I wanted an American hornbeam forest. And no I’m not cutting back and chopping as this Is a Hornbeam forest and not a Japanese maple
What I meant is some of them need thickness to create a sense age and depth - all the trunks are very thin and to similar. I didn't meant creating super fat trunk but creating a few with depth, sorry if I was unclear. Also many tree's use trunk chop technique to create taper - not just J. maples. Either way it will look nice in that pot.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What I meant is some of them need thickness to create a sense age and depth - all the trunks are very thin and to similar. I didn't meant creating super fat trunk but creating a few with depth, sorry if I was unclear. Also many tree's use trunk chop technique to create taper - not just J. maples. Either way it will look nice in that pot.
Yes I will be able to develop different trunk thickness in the Anderson flat

Top Bottom