American Hornbeam forest

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Once the new soil was put into the cavity the forest was placed on top and tied in. Even though I use a chopstick to help place soil from the sides, I've found a hose jet can float soil into all the nooks and crannies. With the soil in place I pack chopped orchid moss around the perimeter to hold the soil in and keep the edge of the root ball moist. The holes have filled with soil.

IMG_1030.jpegIMG_1031.jpegIMG_1032.jpeg

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great update, love the slab. Thanks for sharing your process of how to repot a forest as well and the challenges that come up with the merged root system. Hoping to collect more hornbeams this spring to create something similar someday.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have never showed a photo of this as it emerged in spring. Moss has filled in nicely and a dwarf viola is starting to bloom. The right side of the forest has a large patch but hasn't started blooming yet. They bloom for a large part of the spring and summer.

IMG_4773.JPGIMG_2004.jpeg

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That dwarf violet is amazing. Is it a particular cultivar, or did you win the weed lottery around your house?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That dwarf violet is amazing. Is it a particular cultivar, or did you win the weed lottery around your house?
I got it at Wildwood Gardens in Ohio maybe 8 years ago and its just now getting established. I'm very bad with names anymore so I can't identify it. I'm not sure the grower had a name on it either.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The forest looks amazing in a short time. I like it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you can get this species or similar stuff at most decent garden centers. I've seen it at Merrifield in their trough garden/garden railroad section. Some of these can be invasive and overrun your lawn if you don't keep an eye on them

Top Bottom