Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is my first ever forest planting. I ordered these off eBay and was worried because it took 8 days to arrive. They came to me bare-rooted wrapped in damp paper towels in plastic bags. Surprisingly all were still moist and all of them just pushing buds. This is certainly my last repot of the season for anything not tropical.

It took me awhile to figure out how I wanted them arranged and still not fully sure I did the best job, but I think for my first forest planting I’m satisfied.

Here’s the planting:
E8AED41A-FBD8-4448-9906-F1BCF20924D1.jpeg
Video:

Thoughts on how I did and ways to improve?

I’ll be topping to sphagnum moss and just let it do it’s thing for the next year.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This is my first ever forest planting. I ordered these off eBay and was worried because it took 8 days to arrive. They came to me bare-rooted wrapped in damp paper towels in plastic bags. Surprisingly all were still moist and all of them just pushing buds. This is certainly my last repot of the season for anything not tropical.

It took me awhile to figure out how I wanted them arranged and still not fully sure I did the best job, but I think for my first forest planting I’m satisfied.

Here’s the planting:
View attachment 536663
Video:

Thoughts on how I did and ways to improve?

I’ll be topping to sphagnum moss and just let it do it’s thing for the next year.
Looks good to me. If it were mine I would chop the tree on the far right of the picture to the first branch from the top.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Looks good!

Since there isn’t a tree in the center portion of the pot, you’ve made two separate sections. I would tweak a bit to keep them separate. Also pruning to shape as two clumps- the one at right being dominant with a lower left canopy

Pull over-orange arrows
Cut back at purple.
I like it.

IMG_0749.jpeg

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looks good!

Since there isn’t a tree in the center portion of the pot, you’ve made two separate sections. I would tweak a bit to keep them separate. Also pruning to shape as two clumps- the one at right being dominant with a lower left canopy

Pull over-orange arrows
Cut back at purple.
I like it.

View attachment 536685
Re-looking at it, I’m almost wondering if I should move one of the middle back trees in to make it a bit more cohesive of a planting. I’m really happy with the right side. Left I’m not sure I’m sold on.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Re-looking at it, I’m almost wondering if I should move one of the middle back trees in to make it a bit more cohesive of a planting. I’m really happy with the right side. Left I’m not sure I’m sold on.

My instinct would be to add in a handful of smaller seedlings. Maybe I'm way off, but it's probably worth considering the option.

Eventually, you'll be moving it to a pot or slab, at which point there should be more room on the sides for a handful of smaller trees.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I agree with @Gabler in that you could definitely add some small ones around the outside perimeter, minus the direct front.

To illustrate kind of a divided forest:
You can see how a trail through for your eye adds depth and interest. IMG_0749.jpeg

Top Bottom