Amount of water for indoor tree

robin99

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi there,
So I recently got a small ficus and have it setup in my little indoor greenhouse. The humidity is sitting around 70-80% and the plant is in a Napa 8822, perlite, and pine bark equal parts mixture. It’s the second day of the tree being in the new pot and I’m wondering how much water should it get as the soil doesn’t seem to dry up as quick as it does with my outdoor trees. Also as this is my first tree in a proper bonsai soil mixture is there an easy way to tell when the soil needs water as i find it harder to tell than regular garden soil. Like will the small particles become lighter in color because they are dry? Thanks for any help on these two issues.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
The colour will maybe go lighter, it will definitely be lighter in weight.
You can stick a wooden chopstick or skewer into the soil to check how far down is dry until you get a better idea of frequency based on looks or feel

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi there,
So I recently got a small ficus and have it setup in my little indoor greenhouse. The humidity is sitting around 70-80% and the plant is in a Napa 8822, perlite, and pine bark equal parts mixture. It’s the second day of the tree being in the new pot and I’m wondering how much water should it get as the soil doesn’t seem to dry up as quick as it does with my outdoor trees. Also as this is my first tree in a proper bonsai soil mixture is there an easy way to tell when the soil needs water as i find it harder to tell than regular garden soil. Like will the small particles become lighter in color because they are dry? Thanks for any help on these two issues.
i ran with watering 1 a week, strictly, last offseason, including for a ficus, and it did the trick and got everything through
(not hoyas but they arent easy at all)
this was in a south window and a 10" diameter pot.
i think 2 a week now, until winter, could be okay. the heat system can dry them out inside but i still didnt lose a lot of plants
with 1 a week, saturdays i did

soil mix sounds good, and good luck

robin99

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
i ran with watering 1 a week, strictly, last offseason, including for a ficus, and it did the trick and got everything through
(not hoyas but they arent easy at all)
this was in a south window and a 10" diameter pot.
i think 2 a week now, until winter, could be okay. the heat system can dry them out inside but i still didnt lose a lot of plants
with 1 a week, saturdays i did

soil mix sounds good, and good luck
Okay that makes me feel a little better. I’ll just keep an eye on it and try watering once a week during the fall and winter unless it needs more.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Okay that makes me feel a little better. I’ll just keep an eye on it and try watering once a week during the fall and winter unless it needs more.

I recommend watering when it needs it rather than on a strict schedule.

Stick a wooden chopstick or piece of dowel into the soil and leave it there. Check it every day and water just as it starts to get dry. Don't wait until it is dry.

When you do water, give enough water to thoroughly wet the entire soil mass so all the roots get water. We generally water enough to let it run out the holes on the bottom

The timing of watering can and will most likely change from season to season

Over time you'll learn to recognize when the tree needs water based on the look and feel of the soil.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a few plants that I water on a strict schedule. They are orchids and they are in a relatively static environment. The local climate for them changes hardly at all throughout the seasons. Their water needs still change throughout the season but the water retention of the soil they are in compensates for the range adequately. These plants are an exception...

Any plant I have near a window or outside...or outside ever...or even under lights but not in as tightly controlled micro-climate: a watering schedule is asking for problems!

What people don't realize sometimes is that the plants need for water changes during the course of the year. A great watering schedule in spring falls apart in summer when it's warmer and the plant is actively growing and using up more moisture. Then winter comes and the plant slows down/goes dormant and now you're overwatering...

One of the best techniques you can learn is this: when the soil is dry...pick up the plant. Water thoroughly...pick up the plant. Learn the difference in the weight of the plant. I find this better than chopsticks because the hole the chopstick gets reinserted into can eventually crust and block moisture giving a false reading. I find it harder to misread the weight of the plant. My personal opinion anyway.

But do keep in mind that if you're sticking to a schedule, that schedule needs to change over time or you're just asking for trouble :(

Top Bottom