Amur Maple design

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Purchased Amur Maple. Trimmed due to it being a bit out of control and to learn how the tree reacts. Now starting to ponder design longer-term. May put in the ground for root health, may just go up to a larger pot next spring.

Either way, I'm still inexperienced from a design perspective and would love to hear some thoughts from folks on where to go. I like the push up and to the right; apex was chopped as you can see and plenty of dead there on the trunk up high.

For what it's worth, my styling drawing sucks scale-wise, but you get the idea.

Appreciate any feedback you may have!

Attachments

• Amur design option1.jpg
    Amur design option1.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 70

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Its an older Amur Maple that has been chopped and is now showing new growth, you could possibly start some Carving to show off the Trunk...otherwise just let it grow to see what kind of branching develope's….where purchased and how much $$$$...a good looking Amur with potential with that trunk....its gonna take some work.....

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think it belongs in a growing container with soil higher to encourage more roots all around. Once I get roots, I'd cut back the big ones late in spring. The surface roots as it is now is crappy.

I'd keep lateral branches but encourage a leader to grow strong and manage those scars. Tree could be a nice clump design.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you both!

Agree, don’t love the lonely side large root. There are also plenty of cuts that have been made/ugly chop scars around the back. Here’s a pic a week or two ago after I bought it. Healthy for sure but I like the grow container approach. Next spring then and get a look at the root structure below.

Purchased at Meijer Gardens - Michigan bonsai state show along with a larger/more lovely dawn redwood and crabapple for fun. $80 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• D60F1F97-D6E9-4A85-B906-AAC057A70417.jpeg
    D60F1F97-D6E9-4A85-B906-AAC057A70417.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 87

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow, that’s a steal in my opinion! I like this material a lot.

Wish I knew where to get a similar maple for $80....

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’d do a bit of structural wiring now to put some movement in the branches while you still can. It might already be too late for some of them; hard to tell exactly how thick they are from a photo.

You could also do some trunk carving (can do that anytime really since you’re removing material that is already dead, but it is more convenient to do it when the tree is not all bushy with foliage getting in the way of seeing what you’re doing).

I wouldn’t do much pruning at this point, just enough to avoid future inverse taper problems by reducing to only 2 branches at each node. Mostly, I’d want to let it grow, grow, grow for now.

Did you get the tree from Kurt? It looks like one of his.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Spot on, yes, Kurt / Flower Market.

May attempt some wiring - this weekend is fertilizer and mugo first attempt styling so I’ll throw in wiring a bit, why not.

My Dawn from Kurt is kicking butt by the way. My precious. 😂

Attachments

• F3A4998F-3C80-49DC-80CA-5C341591B994.jpeg
    F3A4998F-3C80-49DC-80CA-5C341591B994.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 7D6FAACF-78D8-4459-A502-F9C25B0EE357.jpeg
    7D6FAACF-78D8-4459-A502-F9C25B0EE357.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 57
  • AAC88754-CA04-4A6E-B1BA-FF7269718D10.jpeg
    AAC88754-CA04-4A6E-B1BA-FF7269718D10.jpeg
    349.8 KB · Views: 52

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I also vote for putting it in a big grow box or in the ground. These will take off when allowed more room for the roots to grow and this will help with healing those cut branches once cleaned up.

Honestly, after carving the dead from the base and cleaning up the other cuts you may find that you want to completely regrow the top, and if it's in a good grow box or ground, this will be very easy to do.

I left one of mine in its winter quarters and let it escape its pot a year and a half ago, it's at least 12' tall and thickening really well at the base.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I also vote for putting it in a big grow box or in the ground. These will take off when allowed more room for the roots to grow and this will help with healing those cut branches once cleaned up.

Honestly, after carving the dead from the base and cleaning up the other cuts you may find that you want to completely regrow the top, and if it's in a good grow box or ground, this will be very easy to do.

I left one of mine in its winter quarters and let it escape its pot a year and a half ago, it's at least 12' tall and thickening really well.

Great to know, gives me hope that we can expand and heal. I have a dremel tool kit I invested in over the winter. Best carving time would be same as other main work = spring while still dormant/bud push?

The top above that awkward 'apex' shoot is quite dead, all the way down to that shoot. might be a good call.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm not saying for you to do this but if it was mine, I'd Dremel/clean the dead and cuts up (and seal), prune, and repot now or at least in the next month; all assuming it's in good health.

These are one of the toughest plants you'll find.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Here is a similar Amur Maple that I have been working on....also purchased from Kurt Smith at The Flower Market...

dP6237676.JPGP6237678.JPGP6237678.JPG

Top Bottom