And now for something completely different...

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Im interested to know if Adair would continue to grow the tree in this image. you have enough Pines Adair, you dont need a deciduous one too:)
any drastic shaping plans or just going with the flow?

Hope you dont mind Adair, just having a play. probably what i would be tempted to do, its not a suggestion!

20201216_124946.jpg

its just that, that right branch is at such a downward angle that it would be difficult to pull this off without leaning the tree considerably to the left which negates the left side nebari. just a crude virt. i would want that branch more upright, or to grow a new shoot off it.

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since you’ve never heard of it, you don’t know that the flaky bark is one of the defining characteristics of this cultivar. And removing the old bark would absolutely ruin this tree!
Guy I should have added ;) to my post...

I did not know the cultivar, but I DID read your post ;)

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
These deciduous trees that come out of Japan that are styled in this way. its extremely difficult to buy one and restyle it without cutting off all the branches and redoing the tree. i get that they want the tree to look like a pine, or an 'older' tree with sweeping down branches, but even if they simply styled the branches to rise up at the base and then do the sweep, there would be far more flexibility in re creating an image to different tastes.

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since you’ve never heard of it, you don’t know that the flaky bark is one of the defining characteristics of this cultivar. And removing the old bark would absolutely ruin this tree!
As long as I know, flaky bark is a characteristic of a really old trident, not exclusively of this particular cultivar, and may be removed in the cleaning routine as they do in the junipers. But if you like as It is, no problem, enjoy your tree!.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These deciduous trees that come out of Japan that are styled in this way. its extremely difficult to buy one and restyle it without cutting off all the branches and redoing the tree. i get that they want the tree to look like a pine, or an 'older' tree with sweeping down branches, but even if they simply styled the branches to rise up at the base and then do the sweep, there would be far more flexibility in re creating an image to different tastes.
Guys, your comments about how this tree “looks like a pine” are misplaced. THIS CULTIVAR has a weeping growth habit. It’s not like regular tridents.

That’s why it’s “something different”.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As long as I know, flaky bark is a characteristic of a really old trident, not exclusively of this particular cultivar, and may be removed in the cleaning routine as they do in the junipers. But if you like as It is, no problem, enjoy your tree!.
True, old tridents get flaky bark, but this cultivar develops knobs, and bulges, and flaky bark more so than other tridents.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I think the shape is lovely. Not sure the issue. Only thing for me is the left branches are thinner then the right branches. I am a maple lover and you are right this is an odd cultivar. The leaves just hang straight down. Reminds me of the Tesla logo.

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
True, old tridents get flaky bark, but this cultivar develops knobs, and bulges, and flaky bark more so than other tridents.
Thanks for the information. It would be great to see the development of a cutting of this cultivar and a "normal" trident, to see the differences along the time... ;)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like a deciduous pine tree with bar branches:). I hope it didn't cost much??
But wait!!! There’s more!!!

You forgot to mention the knobs, the bulges on the trunk, areas of reverse taper, exfoliating bark, the lack of twinging! And it’s a graft!!!

Oh! This tree is terrible!!! Every bonsai dealer in the country has dozens of them they just can’t sell for any price!

I guess I made a mistake. I should have made the seller pay to take it away!

johng

Omono
Reaction score

You forgot to mention the knobs, the bulges on the trunk, areas of reverse taper, exfoliating bark, the lack of twinging! And it’s a graft!!!

Oh! This tree is terrible!!! Every bonsai dealer in the country has dozens of them they just can’t sell for any price!

Amen brother...seems like 50 years of growing bonsai would have helped you avoid crappy purchases like this... btw...this tree doesn't have any weeping characteristics...and the ramification is amazing for a mere 75 years. Seriously, I understand the attraction to odd cultivars but really if you are going to get into maples you should look for some with the potential to be as good as your pines.

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you send it to me to Spain I can take care of that ugly thing, FOR FREE! and you can use your space for a better tree, but don't throw it to the fire, It has some potential🥳🥳

P.S. Just kidding, IMHO is an outstanding tree, despite all of his "faults"

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here’s a bit of info about the cultivar:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the information. It would be great to see the development of a cutting of this cultivar and a "normal" trident, to see the differences along the time... ;)
They don’t really grow from cuttings. I think you will have to get a graft.

Google them.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Why would you buy a tree that was styled like this if you dont like it?
there are plenty of ”naturalistic” ones in japan too if you prefer that style.
the common way to style deciduous trees in japan is exactly how you say, initial movement of the branch is up.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Because i might like the trunk.

Piglet is one of a few ive seen thats styled in the naturalistic image. if you have some to share, we would love to see. Think Leatherback just started another thread.
actually Walter has a few Tridents where the initial branch movement is up. those can be restyled more easily.

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Amen brother...seems like 50 years of growing bonsai would have helped you avoid crappy purchases like this... btw...this tree doesn't have any weeping characteristics...and the ramification is amazing for a mere 75 years. Seriously, I understand the attraction to odd cultivars but really if you are going to get into maples you should look for some with the potential to be as good as your pines.
John, as you know, I really prefer pines. I’m really not looking to get into “maples” as such. At this point of my bonsai career, I’m into unique specimens. As long as they are suitable for my climate.

Yeah, this tree is pretty unique. I’ve only seen two others as bonsai. One was briefly at Boon’s, Johnny Uchita of Grove Way bonsai had the other. I don’t know of any others.

In leaf, you don’t see the structure. There are so many leaves, each bud seems to make a spray of leaves, and the leaves are long and pendulous. And, they have long petioles. The tree looks more like a weeping willow than a maple.

In the fall, the leaves turn into a spectacular display of scarlet reds, golds, oranges, and yellow.

Contrary to most maples, it looks its worst in winter! I know, bare maples with all their tiny twigs make for a beautiful winter show. This maple doesn’t make little twigs. It tends to act more like a ginkgo. It does have the exfoliating bark to provide winter interest. It’s taken me a while to learn to appreciate the knobs it makes. In fact, I have pruned some of them off. But they’re like the chi-chi that some ginkgo get. Part of it’s character.

It’s too bad the NC Expo dates have changed to become a summer rather than fall show. You would have enjoyed seeing the colors.

Here is an old picture of it in leaf:

00567AF9-F2E3-4DF3-AF76-4136BB7DE764.jpeg

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Guys, your comments about how this tree “looks like a pine” are misplaced. THIS CULTIVAR has a weeping growth habit. It’s not like regular tridents.

That’s why it’s “something different”.
Yeah ive been reading all the comments about the pine shape, dont really understand the negativity towards it. It's a beautiful trunk, just waiting for the branches to progress. As it sits, its more than possible to grow it into an old deciduous silhouette. Haters, I say.

Although, considering the age of the tree and that its been container grown for so long, I do find it odd that the branches aren't further along than they are. But as you said, this cultivar is unique and that may well be why.

Top Bottom