Annual Middle School Bonsai Seminar

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the fourth year that we've offered a two day bonsai seminar at the middle school where I teach on the Central Coast of CA. I provide a short history of bonsai and present different styles of trees. We discuss potting and training process. On day two George Muranaka of Muranaka Bonsai nursery brings some staked procumbens and the students plant and wire their own tree. George does a great job working with young people. He promises that if they keep their tree alive for one year, if they come to the nursery, he'll give them another tree. The photos show some of the students (and a staff member) as they work with George, along with the finished product.

Attachments

• bonsai-seminar-167.jpg
    bonsai-seminar-167.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 52
  • bonsai-seminar-159.jpg
    bonsai-seminar-159.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 54
  • bonsai-seminar-171.jpg
    bonsai-seminar-171.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 53
  • bonsai-seminar-178.jpg
    bonsai-seminar-178.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 59
  • bonsai-seminar-181.jpg
    bonsai-seminar-181.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 54

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a great idea. Glad to see young people being introduced to bonsai.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
WOW!!! Now this is beauty in action. So many levels move me here. First, the connection of the generations is so needed in our culture. Next, bonsai only stands to gain from the increased numbers and a new generation. The younger kids will have energy and creativity and bring new blood. Not to mention I would have given anything to start learning at that age. I might actually have some trees by now. Just so many observations from this.

This should be duplicated everywhere possible.

Top Bottom