Any cyclists here?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kinda' true.....but the rake of the forks determines your turning quickness. But in the saddle, a longer stem will get your weight further back, that should "calm" the steering a bit.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
1WLWCb.jpg

Not sure where the proper starting point of measuring should be, but here's a quick pic of what I have going on.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When we are referring to stem length, we are referring to the middle point of the headset to the middle point of the handlebar. The shorter that distance, the more your weight will be towards the rear of the bike, particularly if you also shift your seat back.

stem.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is that a fox or coyote?

It's a grey fox. :) I see them every now and then when I bike first thing in the morning, though normally they don't hang around long enough for me to snap a picture. I actually even saw a red fox here in the Santa Anas - which for Southern California is a big deal and worth a call in to the ranger. Until recently they weren't known south of Yosemite... but they have been expanding down the coast.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Rode yesterday morning in the mountains. No pictures - cold and rainy. Waiting for the first big rain of the season for us - but in the interim we are getting a lot of cold drizzle.

Better than 106 degrees I guess :) (our weather two weeks ago)

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I must be a machoist because every time I go home I bike straight uphill to the mountains.

Passed a guy on my route today and he caught up and told me, "this is my 4th time doing this climb today, you can't give up now." He rightly called me out and motivated me to break my PR again!

Happy that in my year and a half of "serious" cycling my climb time was halved! Gotta start training harder.

Also Happy Veteran's Day! One of my old neighbors when I lived near the bay area was a Vietnam war vet. I was only 4 or 5 at that time but still have clear memories of him. I'd pick him dandelions and he'd put it in his shirt pocket and pick me up. His name was Tom and probably was well loved by the community.

It's been a long time and given his health last I saw him he very well may be passed now. But he'll always be amongst the earliest memories I have.

20171111_144327.jpg

Screenshot_20171111-171230.png

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hauling ass @bleumeon !!!!
Good work. I’m very envious as my lack of consistency has proven me slower this year.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Brutal ride last Sunday. 34 miles, 5800 feet.

Tomorrow will be an "easy" day with about half those numbers.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Those are some nasty numbers. Sounds like a tough climb. You needa post pictures.

6:00 AM at the bottom of Trabuco Canyon, watching the sun rise:

ride1.jpg

Up and over Santiago Canyon Road and Modjeska Grade. Here I am looking at the trail head for Santiago Truck Trail... which I will leave far below and behind :)

ride2.jpg

Starting my climb up Harding Truck Trail. Tough climb with a 550 foot gain in the first mile :) Was joined for the first three miles by a local resident and we chatted through the tough parts :)

ride3.jpg

Clouds slowly floated in, and it was mostly overcast for the remainder of the ride. Once you get about 5 miles up Harding Truck Trail you have the world to yourself :)

ride4.jpg

Harding Truck Trail ends after 9 miles at a spot called "Four Corners" where four major trails meet up. Three go down... only one goes up - towards Modjeska Peak. Taking this trail is pretty challenging because it is a steep climb over mostly loose cobble. At the Modjeska radar towers I stop to chat with one other lone biker...

ride5.jpg

I continue onwards, the last three miles to Santiago Peak. Views from the peak are always awesome.

ride6.jpg

From the peak it was down and out via Main Divide, Lower Holy Jim, and Trabuco Canyon road. Speed only limited by the flowy single track and branches that had not been pruned in a bit. Passed a bunch of vehicles on the 4WD road out... and even some other mountain bikers! And then I was back in my car for a well-deserved Mountain Dew.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sort of funny... but I am a member of a small group of cyclists who have started a tradition of riding up the mountains at night to toast the changing of the seasons at the solstices and the equinoxes. Fall equinox ride it was 100 degrees :) Winter solstice ride on Thursday night it was cooooold... and windy. One of my friends posted a short video of what it was like up on the ridge with howling winds and 37 degree temps :) That is me at the beginning of the video saying "this is nuts!" :)

Last edited:

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Haven't been riding much recently. I got hit by a car a few weeks ago AGAIN, 2nd time now but both pretty minor. Driver cut into the bike lane without checking her mirror to pick someone up. She stopped but not after I hit and broke her side view mirror. Thankfully all the impact went to the mirror and I came out unscathed.

I'll do group rides with my university club but have been lacking the motivation for solo training in my not super bike friendly area.

Started to mix in running as a partial replacement and I've hit the trail for 3 days in a row so far. I do an intense up hill route to the top of the local mountain. Getting faster for sure.

20180305_144715.jpg

At the top with my friend, an international student from Japan. He's on a trialation team so good motivation for me to push harder.

20180306_154818.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's a grey fox. :) I see them every now and then when I bike first thing in the morning, though normally they don't hang around long enough for me to snap a picture. I actually even saw a red fox here in the Santa Anas - which for Southern California is a big deal and worth a call in to the ranger. Until recently they weren't known south of Yosemite... but they have been expanding down the coast.
Fun to read this post from six and a half years ago. I now live in red fox paradise - we have a red fox den on our property and the same vixen returns every year to have her litter here. A pic from earlier this week:

foxes.jpg

cmu268

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Fun to read this post from six and a half years ago. I now live in red fox paradise - we have a red fox den on our property and the same vixen returns every year to have her litter here. A pic from earlier this week:
Nice shot! What kind of camera set up do you have out there?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I bought this game cam:

And they currently offer a 50% off coupon!!

It takes pretty good pics, all things considered. Bluetooth connection that is pretty solid to about 50' away. Decent night vision, and weatherproof. The photos are quite crisp unless the camera is close to the ground (like where I have this one) in which case you need to wipe the lens after every rain or dust/backsplash will cause you to lose clarity. A little Costco rotisserie chicken and leftover Korean BBQ and the foxes will pose quite nicely :)

night-fox.jpg

clean-fox.jpg

Top Bottom