Anyone familiar with bonsai import Co.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The tree I just received is far beyond my expectations, easily one of the better trees I've ever seen in person. This place is the real deal. If I were asked to put a price on the tree I just got, I'd price it above what they listed it for. I know they will be putting up new trees in the spring. I'll be watching! Not everything on that site is 24,000... And they drove the tree to me (at a fair cost) as the shipping on it was astronomical to freight. Saved me a bunch of cash, and allowed me to afford the purchase honestly.

Oh, and although some or most of the trees come from Kennet, I do believe the BIC is a wholly separate company, that is probably why they don't call themselves by the name. I did mention to the guy that brought the tree, that they might do well to at least put the name on the site as an affiliation, so the trust factor is there.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Even better than the "Kennet" name on the sale site, but a link from the Kennet site to BIC would do a lot to make things seem less sketchy.

ChuckP

Seedling
Reaction score
I just bought a large JBP from BIC. They are legit. They showed me current photos of the tree I was interested in before I bought it. The tree took 5 days to get here in Florida. It was well packaged, and the tree arrived healthy and appeared to have been well cared for. Unfortunately, the pot was broken and fell apart on arrival, so I had to run out and get new 22" pot for the tree that day. I would buy from them again.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just bought a large JBP from BIC. They are legit. They showed me current photos of the tree I was interested in before I bought it. The tree took 5 days to get here in Florida. It was well packaged, and the tree arrived healthy and appeared to have been well cared for. Unfortunately, the pot was broken and fell apart on arrival, so I had to run out and get new 22" pot for the tree that day. I would buy from them again.

I would love to see a photo, I only have younger JBP. Enjoy your new purchase!

ChuckP

Seedling
Reaction score
28" tall. It's the first one on the BIC website. Here it is right after the emergency repotting. I left the root ball entirely intact, and filled in with mostly lava, as that was all I had on hand. I'll do a more thorough repotting in Dec with akadama, lava and a bit of fir bark, and see how it goes.IMG_0570.jpg

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
28" tall. It's the first one on the BIC website. Here it is right after the emergency repotting. I left the root ball entirely intact, and filled in with mostly lava, as that was all I had on hand. I'll do a more thorough repotting in Dec with akadama, lava and a bit of fir bark, and see how it goes.View attachment 212445

AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
28" tall. It's the first one on the BIC website. Here it is right after the emergency repotting. I left the root ball entirely intact, and filled in with mostly lava, as that was all I had on hand. I'll do a more thorough repotting in Dec with akadama, lava and a bit of fir bark, and see how it goes.View attachment 212445
Sweet tree. Noticed no new ones listed in awhile there for sale. But, was curious why it needed an emergency repot?

ChuckP

Seedling
Reaction score
BIC told me that they would be getting some new trees in a few months. The pot for the JBP I posted was broken on arrival and fell to pieces when I unpacked it, so I had to put the tree in a new pot the same day. Otherwise, the experience with BIC was good.

glacon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
They have 5 day shipping. I am in Los Angeles. Makes me very nervous with a Black Pine. What are people's thoughts about shipping something expensive like this?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
They have 5 day shipping. I am in Los Angeles. Makes me very nervous with a Black Pine. What are people's thoughts about shipping something expensive like this?
I wouldn’t hesitate. I shipped a Shimpaku from LA to AL in July a couple years ago. No issues.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BIC told me that they would be getting some new trees in a few months. The pot for the JBP I posted was broken on arrival and fell to pieces when I unpacked it, so I had to put the tree in a new pot the same day. Otherwise, the experience with BIC was good.

....just sayin'......anything can happen.....certainly not exclusive to BIC.....you need to worry about the shipper.....

If your covered top-to-bottom insurance-wise, why not?

But would be less than stellar if the $5,000 looks a little closer to $3,000 once it's physically in front of you.

...........buy it.gif......the plant addict in me says "do it, brah!!".....

glacon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The tree I just received is far beyond my expectations, easily one of the better trees I've ever seen in person. This place is the real deal. If I were asked to put a price on the tree I just got, I'd price it above what they listed it for. I know they will be putting up new trees in the spring. I'll be watching! Not everything on that site is 24,000... And they drove the tree to me (at a fair cost) as the shipping on it was astronomical to freight. Saved me a bunch of cash, and allowed me to afford the purchase honestly.

Oh, and although some or most of the trees come from Kennet, I do believe the BIC is a wholly separate company, that is probably why they don't call themselves by the name. I did mention to the guy that brought the tree, that they might do well to at least put the name on the site as an affiliation, so the trust factor is there.
I wanted to follow up on your experience. Do you continue to have a good experience with the tree you bought from them?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How is the process for bringing in plant material to CA.? Surely BIC has that covered, but I would still be a little leery of it getting "held up" in-transit.

I'm sure the material is in fine health, etc....

.......but don't buy anything I'm eyeing!!!!!;)😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
amazing trees on that site!!!

When the Kennett had their big sale several years ago, Michael Levin from Bonsai West went down with a U-Haul trailer. I happened to be there when he came back. The trees were awesome, but wow, the pots!! One guy remarked that while he had concerns about damaged branches, he would have been devastated to lose the pot. BIC trees this same caliber. Not sure about the containers but they still look great.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I just want to figure out how to get notified when new stuff goes up, some folks got some nice shohin tridents

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just want to figure out how to get notified when new stuff goes up, some folks got some nice shohin tridents
you just have to look at the site every week... You can contact the thru the website, but sometimes they don't really communicate all that well unless you are actually purchasing something.

Top Bottom