Anyone recognize the genus of this Acer Palmatum?

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
@SeanS/@Tums Just pulled the plant out of the pot this morning to check the root bulb and also attempt to aerate the dirt a bit. The soil and root bulb was definitely wet, but not soupy, and the soil did not clump in my hands at all. I'm so confused and sad 😭 I'm still thinking it was likely overwatering, since the neighbor in the other pot is fine with the slower drip rate. The weather is back down to 77F high today, so it's cool again. I should also note that the neither plants have scorched tips, so I'm not suspecting sunlight/heat as much.

I tried my best to fan the roots out as I replaced the dirt and will pray that the plant hasn't caught any fungus/mold. Any chance you guys think it'll bounce back?

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@SeanS/@Tums Just pulled the plant out of the pot this morning to check the root bulb and also attempt to aerate the dirt a bit. The soil and root bulb was definitely wet, but not soupy, and the soil did not clump in my hands at all. I'm so confused and sad 😭 I'm still thinking it was likely overwatering, since the neighbor in the other pot is fine with the slower drip rate. The weather is back down to 77F high today, so it's cool again. I should also note that the neither plants have scorched tips, so I'm not suspecting sunlight/heat as much.

I tried my best to fan the roots out as I replaced the dirt and will pray that the plant hasn't caught any fungus/mold. Any chance you guys think it'll bounce back?
Honestly i think you need to take a deep breath and stop fussing with it. If the roots weren't obviously dead and the soil is moist but not soaking then I'm not sure what else you can do. It's also stressful for the plant if you yank it out of the ground and it has to regrow all its fine water-absorbing roots.

Last summer here on the east coast was super hot and some of my plants would wilt in the heat of the day but perk up again at night until I moved them into more shade. What kind of light are your trees getting?

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Honestly i think you need to take a deep breath and stop fussing with it. If the roots weren't obviously dead and the soil is moist but not soaking then I'm not sure what else you can do. It's also stressful for the plant if you yank it out of the ground and it has to regrow all its fine water-absorbing roots.

Last summer here on the east coast was super hot and some of my plants would wilt in the heat of the day but perk up again at night until I moved them into more shade. What kind of light are your trees getting?
Yea good point, I'm definitely new and panicking 😅

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Just wanted to give an update, the leaves dried to a crisp and the main leader appears to be losing its color. Dead right? 😭

Attachments

• IMG_4025.jpg
    IMG_4025.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 15

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It may not be totally dead yet.
Some trees have the ability to sacrifice leaves and even parts of the trunk when conditions are bad but they retain some life in the main trunk and roots in case things get better.
Losing leaves if it is too dry is common but provided they get water soon will often sprout new leaves in a few weeks. Still not sure if the problem here is under watering, over watering or repot at the wrong time so very hard to predict if it might recover.
I would continue care for another couple of months before giving it the last rites.

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It may not be totally dead yet.
Some trees have the ability to sacrifice leaves and even parts of the trunk when conditions are bad but they retain some life in the main trunk and roots in case things get better.
Losing leaves if it is too dry is common but provided they get water soon will often sprout new leaves in a few weeks. Still not sure if the problem here is under watering, over watering or repot at the wrong time so very hard to predict if it might recover.
I would continue care for another couple of months before giving it the last rites.
Thank you, I appreciate the kind words of hope! 🙏

Top Bottom