Anyone South of NY successful with common juniper?

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am unsure you guys are all talking about the same plant . Juniperus communis or common juniper is the most widespread plant on the planet I live Ontario Canada. Range in eastern USA is New England to Pennsylvania and North Carolina It is a sharp needle juniper not a scale foilage plant like Chinese. It’s everywhere here normally a multi stem spreading ground cover that has long branches before any foliage in the wild covers rock outcrops it is not very common in nurseries as most people prefer soft scale tule foliage junipers ie Chinese juniper. The prize common juniper is the rare upright trunk plant that is hard to find in the wild and makes great bonsai especially with deadwood some people collect it for the deadwood and age then graft Chinese soft foil age to it . I know where there is one upright growing out solid rock edge of a small island on a lake tortured by winter wind it’s 1/2 natural deadwood thinking of air layer in the wild as its non collectable in solid rock personally I like the sharp needle foliage. Has a rugged look unlike the masterpiece. Bonsai you see collected from mountains in orient with soft foliage that in my opinion are all the same foliage pads only interesting part is the dramatic ancient deadwood that is different on every one every bonsai book or show flyer has one
I am unsure you guys are all talking about the same plant . Juniperus communis or common juniper is the most widespread plant on the planet I live Ontario Canada. Range in eastern USA is New England to Pennsylvania and North Carolina It is a sharp needle juniper not a scale foilage plant like Chinese. It’s everywhere here normally a multi stem spreading ground cover that has long branches before any foliage in the wild covers rock outcrops it is not very common in nurseries as most people prefer soft scale tule foliage junipers ie Chinese juniper. The prize common juniper is the rare upright trunk plant that is hard to find in the wild and makes great bonsai especially with deadwood some people collect it for the deadwood and age then graft Chinese soft foil age to it . I know where there is one upright growing out solid rock edge of a small island on a lake tortured by winter wind it’s 1/2 natural deadwood thinking of air layer in the wild as its non collectable in solid rock personally I like the sharp needle foliage. Has a rugged look unlike the masterpiece. Bonsai you see collected from mountains in orient with soft foliage that in my opinion are all the same foliage pads only interesting part is the dramatic ancient deadwood that is different on every one every bonsai book or show flyer has one
Juniperus Virginiana Common name eastern red cedar is only other native juniper to eastern USA it’s a upright pyramidal tree sparse scale foliage all of USA to the Rockies the Acadian people that were pioneers in eastern Canada from France and moved to southern USA after English took over Canada were shocked to find the plant there so they named a city after it Batten Rouge. French for red stick

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Acadian people that were pioneers in eastern Canada from France and moved to southern USA after English took over Canada
That's rough...

But One set of Pioneers being displaced by another... is SORT of... "Easy come, easy go" ;)

Although...Cajuns are some of my favorite people.. The first Chef I trained under was a lil' wiry Cajun dude... taught me a lot about Soul Food, actually. And about using Grape/Orange Soda whilst making Barbecue Sauce!

I see Communis.. in the GROUND.. alot more than I see them successfully summered/wintered in pots...

I think we are speaking of native ranges, and habitats... when we SHOULD be discovering WHERE they have been successfully kept in CONTAINERS.. for 3 + Seasons..

The communis around HERE.. (Got that NASTY direct Great lakes wind) largely "purple Themselves" here.. and it makes Spring collection painful..and serves as a deterrant.

I saved one.. once.. in High summer after a tourist plucked it from a dune... It woke up the following year to die shortly after....

I have yet to try again... but probably will..

🤓

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
is a sharp needle juniper not a scale foilage plant like Chinese
Yes, a lot of people wrongly call common juniper species like Juniperus pfitzeriana because they are the most easy to find conifers in nurserys, true common juniper its a needle only species. I have this cheap young common juniper I recently repoted

20220226_130442_HDR.jpg
20220226_130537_HDR~2.jpg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's rough...

But One set of Pioneers being displaced by another... is SORT of... "Easy come, easy go" ;)

Although...Cajuns are some of my favorite people.. The first Chef I trained under was a lil' wiry Cajun dude... taught me a lot about Soul Food, actually. And about using Grape/Orange Soda whilst making Barbecue Sauce!

I see Communis.. in the GROUND.. alot more than I see them successfully summered/wintered in pots...

I think we are speaking of native ranges, and habitats... when we SHOULD be discovering WHERE they have been successfully kept in CONTAINERS.. for 3 + Seasons..

The communis around HERE.. (Got that NASTY direct Great lakes wind) largely "purple Themselves" here.. and it makes Spring collection painful..and serves as a deterrant.

I saved one.. once.. in High summer after a tourist plucked it from a dune... It woke up the following year to die shortly after....

I have yet to try again... but probably will..

🤓
Yes I’m interested in anything anyone has to say about successful collection I have not tried basically have not found1 worth collecting . My understanding is very tough plant in the wild but difficult to establish in captivity . As per Lenz and others the difficulty is getting roots established very good draining soil almost completely in organic or pure inorganic keep as much foliage as possible cur it back as little as you can need the solar Panels to grow roots ambient moisture helps walk a fine line between sunlight needs light to establish but can’t dry out the plant added to the difficulty is roots need to be fairly dry to grow and search out moisture once you have established roots you have the battle won full sun fairly dry roots tough plant fights off bugs and desease will if healthy wet lack of sun weakens plant My fight starts this spring Canada zone 4 tree is on edge of small island on a lake rare upright form of the tree 1/2 tree is deadwood from winter wind solid cemented in a rock can not be collected conventional. Going to try and air layer it at the rock level Trying to cone up with a moisture wick desighn to the air layer the lake is only 3.5 feet away Have 1 summer as I see it. Cut the air layer in fall and pot it going to go with bottom heat and prayer 🙏 to see if it survives winter that or try the idea on another tree first the lake one has a lot of potential make me cry 😭 if I kill it ps found it fishing never stop looking for material

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For my taste the tough masculine sharp needles on this plant . Are much better suited to a tree with a lot of deadwood . I’m not in the norm as a lot of people graft Chinese juniper to collected common junipers . For me the Master piece junipers from Japan with amazing twisted tortured deadwood trunks look completely out of place with immaculate sculpted pads of fine textured lush dense scale style Chinese juniper foliage but to each there own

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes I’m interested in anything anyone has to say about successful collection I have not tried basically have not found1 worth collecting . My understanding is very tough plant in the wild but difficult to establish in captivity . As per Lenz and others the difficulty is getting roots established very good draining soil almost completely in organic or pure inorganic keep as much foliage as possible cur it back as little as you can need the solar Panels to grow roots ambient moisture helps walk a fine line between sunlight needs light to establish but can’t dry out the plant added to the difficulty is roots need to be fairly dry to grow and search out moisture once you have established roots you have the battle won full sun fairly dry roots tough plant fights off bugs and desease will if healthy wet lack of sun weakens plant My fight starts this spring Canada zone 4 tree is on edge of small island on a lake rare upright form of the tree 1/2 tree is deadwood from winter wind solid cemented in a rock can not be collected conventional. Going to try and air layer it at the rock level Trying to cone up with a moisture wick desighn to the air layer the lake is only 3.5 feet away Have 1 summer as I see it. Cut the air layer in fall and pot it going to go with bottom heat and prayer 🙏 to see if it survives winter that or try the idea on another tree first the lake one has a lot of potential make me cry 😭 if I kill it ps found it fishing never stop looking for material
Agreed.. but I did two years of.. "OOOH look at that! and pulling EVERY damn little tree I laid my eyes on."

And killed many.. my understanding of collection is now better..

The tree HAS to have movement, interest, or a trunk at LEAST 1.5" in diameter for me to collect it..

Oh.. it also has to "wiggle", also..

So I still "tree hunt", I'm out in the woods almost daily, normally 🤓.. I just save my chops for the "Outstanding" specimens.. and there are FAR fewer of those.

I like your style..

One of the handful of people on here colder than I.

🤓

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agreed.. but I did two years of.. "OOOH look at that! and pulling EVERY damn little tree I laid my eyes on."

And killed many.. my understanding of collection is now better..

The tree HAS to have movement, interest, or a trunk at LEAST 1.5" in diameter for me to collect it..

Oh.. it also has to "wiggle", also..

So I still "tree hunt", I'm out in the woods almost daily, normally 🤓.. I just save my chops for the "Outstanding" specimens.. and there are FAR fewer of those.

I like your style..

One of the handful of people on here colder than I.

🤓
Thank you noticed we are not that far apart as the crow flies . I live just south of Ottawa So we most likely are talking the same wild trees . And yes I’m not that young 57 . And get to attached yo trees . Took a 10 year break from bonsai gave my trees away after killing a amazing hemlock . My interest in collecting is only quality trees . Everything else I grow from seed for fun and the joy of it plus complete control . Some interest in nursery stuff but have not done any since returning I think the bonsai world is to pre occupied with what has been done in Japan . You have to consider they. Have had hundreds of years and have amazing generation trees hundreds of years old from seed and or collection . Today most experts corectly agree the best collected trees have not been found the southwest mountains of the USA and the Alps in Europe are prime but the vast forests of the northern hemisphere have great trees keep in mind the art has always been performed on trees the grower had access to around the world

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thank you noticed we are not that far apart as the crow flies . I live just south of Ottawa So we most likely are talking the same wild trees . And yes I’m not that young 57 . And get to attached yo trees . Took a 10 year break from bonsai gave my trees away after killing a amazing hemlock . My interest in collecting is only quality trees . Everything else I grow from seed for fun and the joy of it plus complete control . Some interest in nursery stuff but have not done any since returning I think the bonsai world is to pre occupied with what has been done in Japan . You have to consider they. Have had hundreds of years and have amazing generation trees hundreds of years old from seed and or collection . Today most experts corectly agree the best collected trees have not been found the southwest mountains of the USA and the Alps in Europe are prime but the vast forests of the northern hemisphere have great trees keep in mind the art has always been performed on trees the grower had access to around the world
I'm glad to (seemingly) see someone else around here that is interested in defining the parameters of "North American Miniaturized Trees"

We'll get along juuuuuust fine.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm glad to (seemingly) see someone else around here that is interested in defining the parameters of "North American Miniaturized Trees"

We'll get along juuuuuust fine.
👍👍. Where in WI do you live spent a far bit of time there in my youth racing snowmobiles

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
👍👍. Where in WI do you live spent a far bit of time there in my youth racing snowmobiles
Algoma, Wi... about 17-20 miles East of the start of "Green Bay Land"... Directly on Lake Michigan, exactly 4 miles south of the Door County Line...30 miles North of Steven Avery's family Junk Yard.

We frequent the woods, rocky bluffs, caves ect.. of Door County, hike, often, the altering geography (largely deeper wood) of Ahnapee Trails, And the public wetlands and marshes.

Life around here REVOLVES around "The Lake"... and we spend MUCH time exploring dune environments and creating beach dwellings at strategic beach locations..intersections of the inland rivers.

My parents are summer living, Up in Crivitz area (Probably way more familiar to you) So we frequent those areas, as well.

:)

(We also hit some public lands and parks spanning Norway (MI) to Marquette.

🤓

Last edited:
Top Bottom