Anyone use "The Bonsai Supply" soil?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
At ant rate The Bonsai Supply are now also selling their soil mixes through The Home Depot, etsy, eBay, and Amazon. They also appear to have moved from Ft Lauderdale to somewhere in Georgia so I assume they shut down their bonsai garden operation there in favor of just concentrating on their soil mixes. It probably is a low overhead operation. All you need is a small warehouse area for storage, mixing, bagging, and shipping. They are hoping to eventually get product placement in Home Depot stores as well as other direct sales outlets.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
At ant rate The Bonsai Supply are now also selling their soil mixes through The Home Depot, etsy, eBay, and Amazon. They also appear to have moved from Ft Lauderdale to somewhere in Georgia so I assume they shut down their bonsai garden operation there in favor of just concentrating on their soil mixes. It probably is a low overhead operation. All you need is a small warehouse area for storage, mixing, bagging, and shipping. They are hoping to eventually get product placement in Home Depot stores as well as other direct sales outlets.
brilliant.

more along the lines of reasonable dialogue i was expecting; some business talk

good for them, smart too. hope they succeed (the time is now, trending hobby i bet $$$)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I believe Jerome is trying to make it easier accessible. *Marketing strategy. He does classes and is still quite busy in the community for bonsai. He has a Facebook group and still sells. Just relocated. I know Ben Agresta got a nice $$$ specimen tree from him this year.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Still selling trees it appears.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yea I saw those. He usually does a YouTube video then sells the tree in an auction. However there is nothing else for sale on his website besides the soils and components. Most of the trees they have for sale on ebay look to me like stuff you could find in a nursery, not really even prebonsai. Not the same operation as when he had the Florida setup.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yea I saw those. He usually does a YouTube video then sells the tree in an auction. However there is nothing else for sale on his website besides the soils and components. Most of the trees they have for sale on ebay look to me like stuff you could find in a nursery, not really even prebonsai. Not the same operation as when he had the Florida setup.
Not familiar with his business when he was there. I only came to really know of him once he moved. The one Ben bought...is no nursery find. But with any bonsai nursery...you have to have all avenues of material. For beginners and such.

jeffapana

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Besides, oil dry IS calcinated clay and many use it in their mixes including myself. I'm offended that you associate such a negative connotation on a legitimate source for that substrate. But I won't call you names over it.
Pretty sure they are not the same. Oil-Dri is just dried ("a superior moisture extraction process" according to manufacturer) whereas calcined clay is baked to at least 1500F which changes it's properties. And I believe the clay sources have different mineral properties.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Pretty sure they are not the same. Oil-Dri is just dried ("a superior moisture extraction process" according to manufacturer) whereas calcined clay is baked to at least 1500F which changes it's properties. And I believe the clay sources have different mineral properties.
sounds valid, but the fact that oildri type products work so well almost nullifies the need for the manufacturing specs laid out

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Are you claiming they are using oil spill in their mix? Because Jerome is quite reputable in his business. Your comment is insane.

I can handle ones calling me different things. But Jerome is so respected...he has amazing trees as well. Which show his substrate works. You are some fly by night troll to discredit one you know nothing about. I can't stand when ones try and discredit one who is respected in their field.
You are just crazy.... he's obviously talking about the various brands of absorbent material marketed for absorbing spilled oil or other liquids.
Oh, ignoring content by this user from now on. Worthless.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You are just crazy.... he's obviously talking about the various brands of absorbent material marketed for absorbing spilled oil or other liquids.
Oh, ignoring content by this user from now on. Worthless.
20210902_144652.jpg

High lighted area... really? That is pretty black and white.

Ignore is there for ones to use. 😉 pretty sure I didn't invent it. 🙃 Greg did. 😁

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
My post was about soil mix and entrepreneurial, I wasn't assuming or accusing anyone. I think being creative, selling a good product/service and being smart about it is impressive and achieved by the seller brought up. Was also wondering if the forum thought it'd be profitable or legal to use a mix w say 30% name brand clay as part of soil lol

I didn't mind the lady either. Found her comments uncalled for but w.e. Miscommunication perhaps and moving on

Ipheek

Seedling
Reaction score
Anyone know what the particle size is? I sift my stuff at 3-6mm and 6-9mm anything bigger I use for larger stuff. 2mm I use for cuttings or my cactus!

Top Bottom