Anyone want to guess the species of this oak?

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dug this tree out of the ground this morning. I'm not sure what type of oak it is; the leaves look like a live oak and the trunk looks more deciduous. I bought this from George Muranaka who said that he didn't know what it was and that he bought the seedlings from some kids that had gathered them on their street. I may see if he remembers the name of the street and go look myself.

Oak-in-ground.jpgoak-in-hand_edited-1.jpgOak3web.jpg

I have some suspicions what type of oak this is, but I'm trying not to prejudice others guesses.

My guess is holly oak.

Looks like a southern live oak to me. George had some of them several years back if I remember right.

Very nice tree. Looks like a live oak to me, the bark will change as it ages.

I am a bit worried about how you anchored your tree to the pot. You might want to remove/relocate the wires around the trunk.

As for species I would say Quercus. :) I do not know the actual specific as I have never seen an Oak that has leaves like that one. The Live Oak here in Florida has a more elongated leaf. The leaves on that look almost like some sort of holly. I am hooked now and will watch this thread until a definite answer comes up. Good luck.

ed

I am a bit worried about how you anchored your tree to the pot. You might want to remove/relocate the wires around the trunk.

Are you thinking that it will bite into the trunk?

Given his location, and that its obviously evergreen, and it looks like one....
I would say coast live oak, Q. agrifolia: Coast Live Oak

Last edited:
Given his location, and that its obviously evergreen, and it looks like one....
I would say coast live oak, Q. agrifolia: Coast Live Oak

That is a reasonable guess but I have my doubts for two reasons:
1) Coast live oak is so common, I think the nursery owner would quickly identify as such
2) The shape of the leaf is more holly-like with sharp point and greater indention between points.

Are you thinking that it will bite into the trunk?
Yes, eventually.

That is a reasonable guess but I have my doubts for two reasons:
1) Coast live oak is so common, I think the nursery owner would quickly identify as such
2) The shape of the leaf is more holly-like with sharp point and greater indention between points.
I've read that they cross-breed and you get all these (leaf) variations as a result. Here in TX, I am just now noticing how diverse the "Live Oak" leaves are. Some very tiny, some much larger. Some have smooth edge, some wavy and even spiky. Until when do they stay as "Live Oak"? I do not know.

Yes, eventually.

I really wire trees hard into the pot for the first six months in order to let the minute roots develop without being disturbed and/or broken by the wind or any other jarring movement. I then start removing the wires one wire per week. So far I haven't had any unintentional scarring. Well, almost none... there are a few branaches that got away from me but no trunks.

I really wire trees hard into the pot for the first six months in order to let the minute roots develop without being disturbed and/or broken by the wind or any other jarring movement. I then start removing the wires one wire per week. So far I haven't had any unintentional scarring. Well, almost none... there are a few branaches that got away from me but no trunks.

It doesn't have the crenelated bark that I see on live oak saplings of that size down here in florida. But the leave do somewhat resemble live oak

It doesn't have the crenelated bark that I see on live oak saplings of that size down here in florida. But the leave do somewhat resemble live oak

It looks like it is about to (if you check where the branches meet the trunk). Younger trees usually have that smooth gray bark then crack once they grow faster. I am afraid the transplanting will make it longer for it to come now.

You got it covered then. Good luck!

Nice little tree Jeff! I think it's Coastal Live Oak even though the leaves look a bit differnt than usual. I've seen alot of slight variation in the look of these trees leaves and bark depending on where they are growing, I believe it is considered semi-deciduous

Last edited:
Looks like a coast live oak to me too.

- Scott

Looks like Island Oak, Quercus tomentella, which only occur naturally on Channel Islands but are grown by nurseries too. Of course it could be one of the may oak hybrids that are possible.
tomentella.jpg
tomentella 2.jpg
tomentella 3.jpg

I have a scrub oak from EG that has similar leaves and a similar smooth look to the trunk. Mines younger (or smaller.)
Ian

I bought this from George Muranaka who said that he didn't know what it was and that he bought the seedlings from some kids that had gathered them on their street.

I think this is the most telling bit of information. The most likely live oak being used as a street tree there will be Q. agr. But who knows, maybe someone planted a holly oak in their yard?

Back
Top Bottom