Anyone with Boston Ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata) experience...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So I'm still pot hunting...got two amazing Pots...a Tokoname and a Bigei...love the pots. Maybe one day they too might have something in them. Until then...shelf sitting they will do.

Got a pot for the goji...not the Sonny Bogs which I picked up. Being told one previously I had...works better. Pot hunting is fun...love my pots.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have really defoliated this guy...removed some more mature vines...getting a feel for a direction. One branch up top looks like it had die back...but I totally question its "Mame" classification. From top of soil to top of tree...is just shy of 6"...I like the tendrils...one needs to allow things to grow out. But...I'm questioning if I can keep it at Mame size. The actual structure of the tree qualifies...but if I let it grow out (tendrils)...it slips into another classification.

Myself I would clear out the base, measure the very lowest portion with that micrometer and look at the proportion to width of the pot. Any plant including these can be kept Mame - just takes a bit of time

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So I'm still pot hunting...got two amazing Pots...a Tokoname and a Bigei...love the pots. Maybe one day they too might have something in them. Until then...shelf sitting they will do.

Got a pot for the goji...not the Sonny Bogs which I picked up. Being told one previously I had...works better. Pot hunting is fun...love my pots.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Will have to see if I can pick their brain...sorry to hear of your woes...with losing your material. That is very odd...I tried to figure it out in google search. But no luck.
I read that new leaves burned easily so now I'm pretty sure that's what it was. I have to remember that even though I live in a mild climate it does get hot in the rain shelter/ greenhouse thing. I'll have to hang some shade cloth up for the maples..and Parthenocissus.

Attachments

• P1020422.jpeg
    P1020422.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 21

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Myself I would clear out the base, measure the very lowest portion with that micrometer and look at the proportion to width of the pot. Any plant including these can be kept Mame - just takes a bit of time

Grimmy
Only think I worry about with that...is that if its like the Virginia creeper it likes its water. And such a shallow pot concerns me.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Only think I worry about with that...is that if its like the Virginia creeper it likes its water. And such a shallow pot concerns me.

Sometimes heavy fine milled organics are your friend. For example I cannot grow many things like a lot of accent plants inorganic - many just need far to much moisture for even the best inorganics in a tiny space... Would take far to much watering, close to hourly if small enough. Vines in particular grow nicely in heavy loam so it takes a lot of the complexity out of the project.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sometimes heavy fine milled organics are your friend. For example I cannot grow many things like a lot of accent plants inorganic - many just need far to much moisture for even the best inorganics in a tiny space... Would take far to much watering, close to hourly if small enough. Vines in particular grow nicely in heavy loam so it takes a lot of the complexity out of the project.

Grimmy
I'm pondering a cascade...if that the case...it will be in a semi cascade pot. So would have to be thicker than the trunk per say. I see me removing all vines other than one which starts high and comes down low. (I've unearthed while slightly defoliating) It is the only one which draws my attention. The rest are limp straight vines once untangled. I keep looking at Mr. Pall's Boston Ivy in early spring as it just starts to wake up...I do like the simplicity of it in is bones. It's not confusing...ones mind can rest upon it and admire without chaos. Curious if I can obtain something even remotely similar with my bones totally different. But...find that simplicity within...

Mr Walter Pall's tree...

image.jpg

Hard to believe something so...tightly put together can have such an amazing canopy of girth and fullness.

Different pot same tree.
image.jpg

I found this photo on a bill V's blog of one in the Kokufu...but, I think I'm more drawn to the simplicity in pose of Mr. Pall's.
image.jpg

Reactions: ATM

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I must have found every Boston Ivy plant within a twenty foot radius of me since you started with this BI!

There's one growing up out of a concrete pad by one of my baseball fishing spots...

But I recently found one in my yard!

I'll probly diggy diggo !

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I must have found every Boston Ivy plant within a twenty foot radius of me since you started with this BI!

There's one growing up out of a concrete pad by one of my baseball fishing spots...

But I recently found one in my yard!

I'll probly diggy diggo !

Sorce
Good for you...I would have to say, it was meant for you since you keep finding them.

Sort of like the ginkgo...seems like many members fell in love with ginkgo when I got mine. We all are a happy bunch. They grow easily the Boston Ivy. So...one you will enjoy playing around with for sure. Early spring then fall colors are the best.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome home!

Grimmy
Thanks Grimmy! It's crazy being back. The trees all are thriving and have grown well. I went with better over watered with good draining soil...than under watering. They were happy. Need to toss on a triple action treatment and put them all back where they belong. They still are residing on the back patio while I play catchup with everything needing done.

This Boston...I'm beginning to love. I hope I can still say that when its winter and I clean up the mess under the foliage better. But baby steps...I have a feeling this one will be more of a joy to mess with than the creeper I have. Just for the smaller foliage alone.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hint of fall coming... Love this little tree way more than my Virginia Creeper. Mentioned I could easily part ways with the Creeper now that I have this Boston Ivy. My husband's response...he can't believe he is going to say it. He likes the creeper with its weeping form. And just because one has a favorite pair of jeans you don't give away the rest of your clothes.

image.jpg

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's a mad weed...I was recently told only to cut back hard in spring. Mid summer only a trim...

I planted six tiny ones at the old house at the base of the main fireplace chimney in 2010. I showed Crystal on the way home Saturday they have since covered the entire chimney and are proceeding further up - almost to the top of the attic windows. It is a 2 1/2 story 18 inch thick stonewall building for perspective.
I have four sprigs of the Baltic variety in a hanging basket here that I cut back anytime it grows two feet or so - probably five times this year... It does not care and grows back stronger and faster.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The more I look at this alien looking 3 1/2" tall naked tree. (Dormant just about.) I get excited to take it to the next level! So glad I researched the species...they look so different out of leaf. Not the traditional bonsai bones underneath. But...I don't hate it. I can actually see a direction with it. Removed a lot of junk I won't keep...it was one huge mess.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's looking really nice, I need to find one of these. I pulled some common ivy that I found growing in the yard, but the trunk at 1/4" caliper didn't grow at all even after putting out 4-6 feet of growth. So, my guess is that I'll need to dig something more established, that maybe has grown up a tall tree and has some caliper to it. Reminds me of porcelain berries - I dug some a couple of years ago, and even with extensions of a good 20-40 feet (these were growing across a fence, storage shed, other shrubs, etc.), the trunks were only about an inch and a half caliper.

This might be a little off topic, but over the weekend I was flipping through "Four Seasons of Bonsai" by Kyuzo Murata. It's a really great book with pictures of close to 200 trees/vines/grasses/ornamentals from his garden. In a day when collected Rocky Mountain trees that are hundreds of years old are all the rage, it was a good reminder that "bonsai" can mean lots of different things, and that one can have an equally nice collection using a variety of native plants of varying sizes and in different compositions.

Top Bottom