Anything you want me to ask Boon?

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With a vigorous 9 year old Yatsubusa pine in a 2 gal. Nursery pot, would he just repot(downsize) this year, or also trim candles? It is a very strong grower. Thanks!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Next question, for a Kotobuki in good health 1 gal. Container, how much would he reduce the root mass?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Next question, for a Kotobuki in good health 1 gal. Container, how much would he reduce the root mass?
The answer to both these questions is “it depends”.

What stages of development are these trees in?

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The answer to both these questions is “it depends”.

What stages of development are these trees in?
The yatsubusa and kotobuki are ready to have the root mass reduced, I am happy with their trunk size. Neither have ever been decandled. I was just curious if there are exceptions as to how much root mass I can remove. Thanks!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are they in basic nursery soil? Or bonsai mix?

If nursery soil, about half.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m going to Boon’s tomorrow, and spend the week there. I’ll be repotting, and missing trees, and doing whatever needs to be done for the Bay Island Bonsai Show. @markyscott will be there, too! (This will be Scott’s first BIB show. We’ll see how well he holds up!)

So, post up your questions here, and when we get a break in the action, I’ll try to get Boon to answer them.
Ask him where to find a good restaurant.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Was boon checking your wiring today? ;)
I have not done any wiring! :eek:

Repotting and show prep: mossing, cleaning deadwood, lime sulfuring, selecting pots for trees, etc.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ask him why he doesn't defoliate. :)
Because the little weak interior buds often don’t bud out again after a defoliation. You’re more likely to get multiple budding out at the tips. It’s very important to keep interior buds alive and healthy so that you will have interior branches to cut back to when the tree gets older. Boon prefers to let the tree grow, get strong, and then cut back.

Top Bottom