Aphids! Won't go away.

Bryan Ruznik

Sapling
Reaction score
Defoliating and squishing will help and MAY even handle it but it's almost impossible to get every single bug/ egg/ larva etc.... I have used this combo before with a 100% success rate for aphids twice and spider mites twice. My only caution is too make sure the first soak you give to the plants is a thrurough one so you dont have to do a second. a second soak has shown slight damage to the foliage..... So what I do is mix two products together. One is neem oil. Safe and found at any nursery or amazon or wherever. The second is a product found at this link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035H0RA8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Here's a link to neem oil too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QAWGIO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Just mix about an ounce of each with about 16 oz or more of water and put in a spray bottle. I try to keep the liquid from getting into my soil so I put a plastic bag over the surface. Then hit it hard making sure to get the top and bottom of every leaf and remember they use the trunk to travel so hit that too. I guarantee they are gone by the next day with little to no damage to the plant. You'll notice a sheen on the leaves with little black dots from all the dead aphids. Just lean it over and give a little shake and there you have it. Also you should inspect your plants regularly. That photo of the stem didn't happen overnight. Thats pretty intense. Good luck!!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bravo!

I really never expected this to make it!

You snapped!

Sorce

Occams Hacksaw

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I know you have already recovered (nice!), but I'm a fan of predators and ladybugs are my go-to for aphids. I've seen ladybugs knock out entire armies of them in a matter of days. I use green lacewings if the weather is too hot for ladybugs.

Insecticidal soap would be 2nd on my list, but things like this work by interrupting their reproductive cycle and takes time.

Neem oil 2x a week is a really good preventative, too, but most people dislike the odor. I've grown to enjoy it.

Bryan Ruznik

Sapling
Reaction score
Wow I did not think full defoliation of a Fukien Tea was a good idea but wow!! Thats awesome! How much time from defoliation to this picture exactly?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What I do to get rid of aphids is the following...

1. When it's time to water the plant (I water daily), wrap the pot and soil in Saran Wrap.
2. Add rubber bands so the wrap stays tight around the pot.
3. Fill a bucket large enough to hold the tree, with tepid water (not too cold, not too hot), then add a tablespoon of dish detergent, mix gently and try not to make too many bubbles.
4. Lower the tree, upside down into the pot until all of the foliage and branches are under water and lightly move the tree around in the water.
5. Take the tree completely out of the soap solution for a few seconds, then repeat.
6. Place the tree somewhere to "dry" for a few minutes.
7. Unwrap the pot and water the tree and foliage thoroughly to remove the soap and dead aphids. Don't forget the undersides of the leaves. You can even do a second bucket of just tepid water for rinsing the foliage.
8. Repeat the process in 1 week, for 2 weeks (3 treatments in 3 weeks).
9. Enjoy your aphid free trees.

This is a bit tedious, but not as tedious as removing all of the aphid-damaged yellow leaves from your trees everyday.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We had an aphid infestation in our plant lab at school. Released a tub of lady bugs and they had it under control in about a week. Left the door open to the outside many lady bugs exited. Some decided to stick around. Kids loved to tour the lab when we released the lady bugs.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We had an aphid infestation in our plant lab at school. Released a tub of lady bugs and they had it under control in about a week. Left the door open to the outside many lady bugs exited. Some decided to stick around. Kids loved to tour the lab when we released the lady bugs.

Where does one acquire a "tub of ladybugs" lol

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I haven't visited bonsainut in a bit. This is my only surviving bonsai, and it's the Fukien Tea. 2.5 years after the aphid infestation and complete defoliation, here she is. I have had no aphids since.View attachment 255226

I'd cut that long shoot back and you'll get more growth closer to the trunk.

Glad to hear your aphid problem is gone now!!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I thought briefly about doing something crazy with it, or maybe a cascade. I'll probably trim it though.

It's all in what you are trying to do with the tree that matters, don't let me stray you from that.

Fukien Tea's are one of my favorites because I love how they look and it's the species that got me back into bonsai after so many years...

Culper Woodhull

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It's all in what you are trying to do with the tree that matters, don't let me stray you from that.

Fukien Tea's are one of my favorites because I love how they look and it's the species that got me back into bonsai after so many years...
Definitely, and an easy tree to maintain as well.

Top Bottom