Apple tree needs styling idea

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, I can see from this plant :)

I am also thinking about a SABAMIKI
Cool. I didn’t know that had a name. I always just called it a hollow trunk. Or more fashionably said…..Wow! That’s a cool trunk.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Whilst I think this tree will benefit greatly from some carving, I would advise; proceed with caution. I would create a series of smaller hollows rather than gutting the entire interior of the tree like your sketch virt. I think the secret is to create layers of depth of deadwood, achieved by differing depths of deadwood, hollowing bits out but still leaving some wood out front - easier said than done!

I went in all guns blazing on this privet and have regretted it ever since! I think I forgot that I couldn't 'add' wood back and it ends up looking grotesque!

IMG_4921.JPEG

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I imagine it will be a very interesting day when in the future, once the trees continues healthy growth and foliage multiplies, when you uncover the roots. Seeing the root growth will help set-up options for tree tilting in a number of ways. And then when an angle of planting is determined you get to open up to new possibilities such as the hollow trunk idea. I think that I would work with the deadwood as it is right now and possibly, possibly maybe, carve a hollow in the future. Personally I like to work with deadwood areas for the natural beauty before digging in further. Once healthy and growing, angles of planting can be executed. The angles may suggest a different carving direction, if any. Perhaps a more subtle carving approach at first. I’m a little unsure about carving hollows right away. I would live with the tree I carved for awhile and see what’s needed in a future season. As @AshleyMammal says, once carved the wood cannot be reattached. I tend to study a tree over time to explore my own feelings on what would look really good. I don’t hurry carving. I find that once wood is exposed that nature begins to suggest proper directions for a natural beauty.

I think that you’ll fine out in time that the deadwood you have is beautiful and just needs some “enhancements “ put in place. Perhaps some age lines appear as the deadwood grays and you see a new option unfold. Once the deadwood turns a weathered gray color a new beauty may appear.

I also think that an angle of planting change suggested earlier by @AshleyMammal mighty drastically change a carving desire. I liked the angle change as it focused on the tree growing. The massive hollow just shouts hollow and the tree growth and survival takes a backseat and is forgotten.

Just my line of thinking.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Whilst I think this tree will benefit greatly from some carving, I would advise; proceed with caution. I would create a series of smaller hollows rather than gutting the entire interior of the tree like your sketch virt. I think the secret is to create layers of depth of deadwood, achieved by differing depths of deadwood, hollowing bits out but still leaving some wood out front - easier said than done!

I went in all guns blazing on this privet and have regretted it ever since! I think I forgot that I couldn't 'add' wood back and it ends up looking grotesque!

View attachment 503376
I completely understand your feelings. Well….I think I do anyway. While the tree is beautiful, it just becomes a carving. The actual tree is somewhat forgotten.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking good! Lots of worldly character.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The tree has lived in the world for a long time. A survivor really. And over that time has picked up creases, cracks, blemishes and numerous flaws. The tree as a result has a great deal of character…..worldly character. I suppose I could have said Earthy Character. But I just chose worldly at the time. That’s how I describe the tree.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
The tree has lived in the world for a long time. A survivor really. And over that time has picked up creases, cracks, blemishes and numerous flaws. The tree as a result has a great deal of character…..worldly character. I suppose I could have said Earthy Character. But I just chose worldly at the time. That’s how I describe the tree.
Wow, you just gave a very nice description of the plant, I am touched...
Thank you very much.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You’re welcome. Thanks for the opportunity to explain my comment.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
The wood is getting older and nicer, and is time to prune, but I have no idea on how to shape this tree.
Suggestions ?

20231215_105156.jpg20231215_105220.jpg20231215_105226.jpg20231215_105233.jpg20231215_105237.jpg20231215_105301.jpg20231215_105311.jpg20231215_105349.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First picture looked best. Tree had great possibility for Cascade. Added fiddling messed up look badly🧐. Will take many years weathering to look halfway decent again!

Top Bottom