Arakawa Japanese Maple

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LOL oh come on now David I may be stupid but not insane! Very doubtful I'll ever sell this one. Good and old Arakawas are as common as sasquatch having a picnic in your backyard. Did not get to shoot this one in time. Missed my window sadly.

Here is a winter update. The tree today. Almost wire free. I have comissioned the talented @NaoTK to make a pot for this tree for this coming spring. I love the current Koyo it's in but feel is has become too small for it. The new pot will also be rectangular but larger with softer corners.

View attachment 523771

View attachment 523772

View attachment 523773

View attachment 523774

View attachment 523775

View attachment 523777
Thanks for the update, I look forward to see the repottng proocess if you have the time to take photos in the middle of the mess. ;)

As momma said "stupid is as stupid does", IMHO you look a smart guy, but perhaps someone one day will do to you an offer than can't be refuse :cool:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, I look forward to see the repottng proocess if you have the time to take photos in the middle of the mess. ;)

As momma said "stupid is as stupid does", IMHO you look a smart guy, but perhaps someone one day will do to you an offer than can't be refuse :cool:

Sure, I will try my best to take photos when I repot it.

Well that is true. I guess never say never! But definitely not a tree I am even remotely thinking about letting go.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
At the moment I have my name on the waiting list to exhibit this year. But not sure if I will get in. If I do, I was not thinking of showing this tree yet but certainly a possibility 🙂
I haven't sent my pictures in yet this year, but if you promise to show this tree, I will not send pictures and give up my spot. I know this trees history and you acquired it in NC, so it would be good to see it back here.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I haven't sent my pictures in yet this year, but if you promise to show this tree, I will not send pictures and give up my spot. I know this trees history and you acquired it in NC, so it would be good to see it back here.

Thank you for the offer, that is awfully kind of you my friend. I will have to kindly decline. I cannot allow you to do that since just like anyone else I have to wait my turn. Please keep yourself on the list. Everyone deserves their chance.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you for the offer, that is awfully kind of you my friend. I will have to kindly decline. I cannot allow you to do that since just like anyone else I have to wait my turn. Please keep yourself on the list. Everyone deserves their chance.
I have already told the powers that be that you have my spot, all you need to do is send in your pictures before the end of next month. Besides I would like to see a maple win best in show and I believe that you and your Arakawa can make that happen

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Promised @Davidlpf I would try and take some pics of the repotting. Hard to do in the heat of battle but here are a few. Did not have my trusty assistant with me that day (@Tidal Bonsai) so had to manage remembering taking some pics while doing it.

Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 7.30.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 7.30.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 7.30.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 7.29.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 7.30.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 7.29.19 AM.png

And here it is with the repotting done. Many thanks to @NaoTK for the masterful pot! He replicated a famous glaze by Heian Tofukuji. The glaze has great depth with many subtle variations of blues and turquoise along with a crackle effect that adds so much character. Nao's craftsmanship in my opinion is second to none.

IMG_5476 copy.jpg

IMG_5480 copy.jpg

IMG_5482 copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5476 copy.jpg
    IMG_5476 copy.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 43

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
wow o_O :eek:😍

Did you and @NaoTK record the conversations when coming to this pot design? I would have listened to that as a podcast

Haha! Derek I wish I could make an interesting story about this! But really there is not much behind it. I simply went to his site and picked out a design that I thought would work well. I did say to him that my preference for the glaze would be somewhat like the famous turquoise glaze from Koyo. Nao then proceeded to do several pots with different glaze variations for me... roughly 6 or 7 if I remember correctly. I then picked my favorite and went with it. He is a remarkable ceramist!

BTW I'll be in Montreal this weekend. Will you be able to make it?

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
oh wow! Well there's certainly experience and sophistication in how easy that process was!

BTW I'll be in Montreal this weekend. Will you be able to make it?

I'll write to you privately :)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
BTW I could have gone a size bigger with the pot. I think ok for now but I may have to get another one like it only a bit bigger in the future.

EDIT: Looks larger in person.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Promised @Davidlpf I would try and take some pics of the repotting. Hard to do in the heat of battle but here are a few. Did not have my trusty assistant with me that day (@Tidal Bonsai) so had to manage remembering taking some pics while doing it.

View attachment 535386

View attachment 535387

View attachment 535388

View attachment 535389

View attachment 535390

View attachment 535391

And here it is with the repotting done. Many thanks to @NaoTK for the masterful pot! He replicated a famous glaze by Heian Tofukuji. The glaze has great depth with many subtle variations of blues and turquoise along with a crackle effect that adds so much character. Nao's craftsmanship in my opinion is second to none.

View attachment 535403

View attachment 535395

View attachment 535396
Great work. I like the color of the pot. Hats off for taking pictures daring the repotting. You should think about fixing camera on tripod and make a video instead 😉👍 Cheers

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The color of that pot is awesome and will especially go great when this one is in fall color. How many years between repots for this one?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great work. I like the color of the pot. Hats off for taking pictures daring the repotting. You should think about fixing camera on tripod and make a video instead 😉👍 Cheers

Yes of course great suggestion Maros! 👍

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The color of that pot is awesome and will especially go great when this one is in fall color. How many years between repots for this one?

Two years Bri. Although I did comb out the core of the rootball until I was able to drive a chopstick comfortably through it, I did not go too aggressive with it (read power wash all the soil out). With older trees I am more careful respecting the core of the rootball and leaving it fairly intact.

Top Bottom