Arakawa Maple Air Layer

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I started some air layer on my JM at the first of summer. Never did see any roots showing, continued to water when needed. Now I see some roots showing through the plastic. It seem we are too close to fall to cut them and put in a pot. Will it hurt to let them continue to grow and cut them next spring? Also the bottom two branches will need to be removed, I did not do any air layer on them, is it too late do wrap with the peat moss and let go through the winter?

Thanks

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes leave until spring and then separate. Give your tree adequate winter protection. Not sure I understand why you're wrapping with peat moss the lower branches?

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Mach5, I will leave them until spring. The tree is in the ground ... it will be outside all winter. Wrapping the lower branches in peat moss... I meant do Air Layer on the 2 bottom branch. I left them hoping it would make the lower trunk get thicker but it did not do much this summer so I figured I would take them off. This tree has a Big root showing above ground, I plan to dig this tree up in spring and cut the root off as I don't see it being of any use. Also want to start working with the roots. Will start a thread on that when time comes.
Thanks for your reply

Top Bottom