Arctic blast winter help...

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Been nippy but nothing lower than mid twenties below. I have been walking trees from my 20 degree storage facility to my heated shop and do get worried that the walk may be somewhat tough on them--but I have been just doing larches. Very little snow this year and have left NOTHING outside--thank God.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It had to do with being tired Ed...it was 3am and I thought my trees were to warm. 70F for dormant trees is a no brainer "not good"...my FIRST winter wintering bonsai with arctic air...I believe I'm allowed to wig out. Drama...one after another...scratching my head over that one. Learning yes...that my trees shouldn't hit 50F and I thought they had and far exceded that...if that's Drama...okay...(I'm pretty sure many northerners were having moments of concern for their trees with this arctic air. Mine all night was if I could keep my room warm enough as the -40 windchill rolled through. If anyone had seen 70's for dormant trees...I'm sure they would have felt my panic." )

Not sure it's lack of sleep...or I can't read your tone. But...I'm going to use my ignore option. Sorry Ed. Maybe you should do the same. Then you won't have to see my "drama"

Have a great day Ed...

LOL one need not try too hard to read a "tone" when there is an emoticon showing its a joke in fun ... I did post over a month ago here to Darlene something along the lines of , if keeping Bonsai causes you that much stress its really time to find a new hobby. That was serious advice as life is to short to constantly be worried about every aspect of a mere hobby, but perhaps you just crave the attention. Either way wigging out over a replaceable plant at 3am in the morning can not be good for your mental or physical health, perhaps crocheting would be safer...

ed

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A shout out to Judy...thank you so much for helping me get through the arctic blast that came through...much appreciated. Now I feel much more comfortable knowing what to do.

Contemplating one of these...for in case the electric goes out. The way it is...I've 8 soon to be 9 trees out there. So I could haul them into the garage if I need...it is connected to the house...for an interior wall...if I had to and the temps dropped dangerously out there. But...it would be nice not to have to do that two step bringing them to another location.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_131258-5164...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That seems like a decent backup plan. Just have to watch that it doesn't get too warm with something like that for too long. I would look to see if you can find something like it with an actual temperature control as opposed to low/med/high.

Ed, once again, you come across as a MCP. Just saying....

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Judy...when our power is out...I stay home to keep the home fires burning...I have that thermometer that has an alarm set when I need to open the windows. Figured I would use that as a rule of thumb to go manually shut it off. But...will look further into seeing if I can find one with a setting. Where it won't need turned off manually. Good thought...worth looking into.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's nice to be able to set it and not worry about it at night.... let me know if you find something like that, I have thought of something along those lines as backup here.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm going to have to look at something like that as a backup. My barn shelter works great as long as there is electricity but if we were to have a prolonged outage, I could be in trouble.

By the way, as of today...this month is the coldest month in the history of record keeping in Rochester. And with the temperatures expected over the next few days, that record will hold. Early indications are that at least the first half of March will be pretty wintery as well. Wonderful. We may not see bare ground until April at this rate.

Chris

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm going to have to look at something like that as a backup. My barn shelter works great as long as there is electricity but if we were to have a prolonged outage, I could be in trouble.

By the way, as of today...this month is the coldest month in the history of record keeping in Rochester. And with the temperatures expected over the next few days, that record will hold. Early indications are that at least the first half of March will be pretty wintery as well. Wonderful. We may not see bare ground until April at this rate.

Chris
Chris...I too heard that for our area...about breaking records coldest February since documented back to 1858! When we get outages...they can last upto a week. So I need to be more prepared. If that arctic air blew through and the electric went out...it would be major issues.

Speaking of it being so cold...trying to decide when to do repots...maybe later in April verses March for us northern folk? (Again...my first time doing so...so I'm a bit iffy as to time frame...I know before buds leaf out)

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
pretty cold here too! it's snow storm after snow storm and record cold. I don't mind though as I have a cold frame and I get off work anytime the students get off(paid) since I work at a university. We just had 5" of snow now 6-12 tonight!!

Top Bottom