Are bonsai wire cutters worth it?

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Two tools that I didn't think I'd need because I already owned was jin pliers and wire cutters, snips and a pair of pliers right? However, after getting myself some bonsai wire cutters and jin pliers, I wouldn't use anything else unless I had to. The cutters have more leverage to cut thicker wire easily and rounded tips to cut without damaging the branch. And the jin pliers grip perfectly at the tip which makes it great for wiring. I use them to give sharp bends in the branch after wiring by grabbing the wire and bending, works great. Just my two cents.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I cannot imagine what general wiring could be that is best done with linesman pliers. Love linesman pliers for their intended use but Bonsai wiring is a different kettle of fish!
For aluminum and fine copper the light weight type of wire cutter is an excellent choice. I really appreciate it when working on refinement wiring of smaller shoots in pad formation. Light weight easy to retain in your hand and wire at the same time! Brand name Flart!
For medium use I prefer the kaneshein larger size and for heavy duty copper the Knipex. The Knipex is particularly useful for size 10 gauge copper and up. Saves the wrists! Picture of the three types below with light duty on top.

Attachments

• IMG_1567.JPG
    IMG_1567.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 33

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have some husky brand flat nose cutters/wire cutters and also some vise grip wire cutters.
They work just fine for my needs. I guess if I really wanted them with a blunt tip I could take them to the grinder. I am just careful when I make my cuts.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, they are worth it. Sometimes you need to cut the wire off. The cutters allow you cut the wire off without damaging the tree. Once you get a pair and try them you will understand exactly what I mean.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think I need to get some regular knob cutters eventually, I only have a good pair of a shohin size

I splurged on the shohin size Joshua Roth wire cutters this year, I'll try to remember to mention how they hold up. I felt that the entry level ones I started with conked out pretty quick, but it's a fairly simple device to do a relatively rough task - it might just be one of those things that gets beat up and used, so buy the ok-enough ones. I don't know yet, still figuring out what works for me.

I haven't found a reason to convince myself to upgrade from my entry level jin pliers though. They seem pretty straightforward and simple...

and are root cutters really required? Can't old shears or concave cutters / knob cutters / etc work? Curious as to folks' thoughts

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nothing is more disappointing than breaking a branch that you've wired and waited for months to see well placed because you were in hurry to unwind and remove the wire. I almost never try to unwind anymore. And I don't use much 1.0mm anymore either, it's too hard to get back off. I use 1.5mm instead because I can always see it through new growth and it doesn't have to be looped as tight on the branch to hold a twig in place.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I unwind wire unless it is a thicker gauge. I use my wire cutters all the time so I would recommend them. I would say a branch cutter and wire cutter are the two I would get from Kaneshin. You can do without root cutters and knob cutters at first.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This works fine for thin gauge wire and I have unwound thing gauge wire. But if you dont have very strong hands and finger, heavier gauge wire can be a real bear to unwind to the point where I almost have to unwind the branch from the wire, not the other way around. I have concerns as to what that is doing or can do to the branch. I have broken branches trying to unwind them with heavy wire. Also on small trees where the branches are highly congested, it can be a problem.

Then you’re not doing it right. Let me explain: grab the end of the wire (at the end of the branch) with your Jin pliers. Use the Jin pliers as leverage. Point the pliers at the end on the branch, and literally spin the pliers around in your hand. The wire will simply lift up off the branch. With your other hand, hold the branch and wire one turn back, so that when the spin happens, all that moves is the wire. Unspin one turn, pause, move your “other” hand back one turn on the branch, and unspin again.

Sure, it takes a bit of practice. Like any skill worth learning.

I can unwind all gauges of aluminum, and most gauges of copper. Gauges 8, 6, and 4 I cut off.

The pliers give you leverage. With practice you’ll find it gets easier and faster. Once you master it, you’ll find it SO MUCH FASTER that you’ll wonder why you ever tried cutting it off before!

One more thing… when cutting i
Wire off, there’s always the chance you’ll accidentally cut the branch off. Yes, it happens…

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nothing is more disappointing than breaking a branch that you've wired and waited for months to see well placed because you were in hurry to unwind and remove the wire. I almost never try to unwind anymore. And I don't use much 1.0mm anymore either, it's too hard to get back off. I use 1.5mm instead because I can always see it through new growth and it doesn't have to be looped as tight on the branch to hold a twig in place.
Well, I’ve seen pictures of your wiring…

See my post directly above this one. It explains how it’s done.

You should go watch Colin Lewis’s free tutorial on www.Craftsy.com on how to wire. If a tree is wired properly, it’s also easier to unwire.

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yes, absolutely worth it.

I need that flat nose for removing wire from most deciduous and it's also just a pleasure to work with. I agree with Adair about unwrapping in many cases (I heavily reuse wire), but for finer branches or deciduous, that's often not an option.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not disagreeing with your method at all but this comment is a bit of a stretch. If it happens it is carelessness.
It happens when trying to cut off thin wire that’s embedded into the branch. You have to cut into the wood on either side of the wire. If you don’t cut deep enough, you don’t get the wire. Or maybe just half of it. Then you have to “dig deeper”. More side damage. Or, maybe you cut 3/4 the way thru, and it weakens the branch that it breaks!

Trust me, practice unspinning. It’s how the pros do it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can unwind all gauges of aluminum, and most gauges of copper. Gauges 8, 6, and 4 I cut off.

So I also unwind aluminum and smaller gauges of copper and cut the same gauges as you.
As I said, unwinding those heavier gauges of copper is not so easy to do

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I also unwind aluminum and smaller gauges of copper and cut the same gauges as you.
As I said, unwinding those heavier gauges of copper is not so easy to do
That’s true. They also don’t cut in as much as the smaller gauges, either.

Most of my trees are refined, and I don’t use a lot of the heavy wire. I use a lot of 12, 14, and 16 mostly. Those gauges are easily unwound.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That’s true. They also don’t cut in as much as the smaller gauges, either.

Most of my trees are refined, and I don’t use a lot of the heavy wire. I use a lot of 12, 14, and 16 mostly. Those gauges are easily unwound.

Yes and most of mine are still in that heavy wire development stage so I still use 10 and 8.
If its on a large branch or trunk I can sometimes unwind the 10, and even the 8 if I can get a hold of it with the pliers.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
so far my favorite have been a small scissor style. Looks like bud shears. The ones I have are more lighter duty wire but I've seen heavy duty ones too that feel great. They feel more precise.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, I repeat, learn to unspin the wire rather than cut it off.
Second this.
I unwire wherever I can. And in fact, re-use the thinner gauges on material I am developing that gets a rugged look. Great to have wire that is already rugged ;)

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I cannot imagine what general wiring could be that is best done with linesman pliers.
Wiring is not only branch development, last week I spend 2 evening securing 17 azalea sections into Anderson flats, and no way I would have done it as easily or neatly without my linemans.
Are they the right tool for removing delicate refining wire? Of course not. But if you can’t imagine what use they have, you need a better imagination! Maybe then you wouldn’t be a sad face in the face of reasonable suggestions.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It happens when trying to cut off thin wire that’s embedded into the branch. You have to cut into the wood on either side of the wire. If you don’t cut deep enough, you don’t get the wire. Or maybe just half of it. Then you have to “dig deeper”. More side damage. Or, maybe you cut 3/4 the way thru, and it weakens the branch that it breaks!
That would IMO fall under carelessness. Not that we all haven't done it, but it is careless to let the wire get ahead of you.

Top Bottom