Are we running out of thing to learn in bonsai?

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So it is true that there is a softer side of the chopstick. It does exist.

Attachments

• 1678910026473.png
    1678910026473.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 8

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So it is true that there is a softer side of the chopstick. It does exist.
Anyone of us who have made chopsticks from bamboo intuitively know that there is a softer side of the chopstick because the bamboo wood closer to the surface to the bamboo is harder. When I form a bend on a stick of bamboo to make kites or lanterns, I always carve away the softer side and leave the hard side untouched.
PS: I didn't watch the video. There is no need.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Anyone of us who have made chopsticks from bamboo intuitively know that there is a softer side of the chopstick because the bamboo wood closer to the surface to the bamboo is harder. When I form a bend on a stick of bamboo to make kites or lanterns, I always carve away the softer side and leave the hard side untouched.
PS: I didn't watch the video. There is no need.
Uncle C. Yes I made paper kites when i was still back in VN so there is a softer side of the bamboo... am just not sure if the really is making any difference in using it to repot.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Uncle C. Yes I made paper kites when i was still back in VN so there is a softer side of the bamboo... am just not sure if the really is making any difference in using it to repot.
There is a reason for using the soft side. It's called minutiae. Nowadays I just use a cut piece of 1/4" irrigation tube as my chopstick. Usually when the tube starts to bend, I think the soil is firm enough.
PS: When are you coming to see me?

Last edited:

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There is a reason for using the soft side. It's called minutiae. Nowadays I just use a cut piece of 1/4" irrigation tube as my chopstick. Usually when the tube starts to bend, I think the soil is firm enough.
PS: When are you coming to see me?
I think it will be one of the Saturday in April. It easier to take a complete day off from rearing children after wife has her girl trip which she is planning on taking in one of the coming weekends. I will let you know once I have the date confirmed and you are available for the visit.

Top Bottom