Ashes to ashes....Pots to pots

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The image below is a trident maple I had for about 19 years and decided to turn up its toes about 4 years ago. The carcass has been put in the wood kiln (Anagama kiln) to help fire the pots within. The poetic part of this is that the flying ashes created from the burning lands on the pots and creates the glaze/color of the pot once fired. The tree may be dead but not forgotten in the pot.
The kiln finished firing Sunday which temperature reached approx. 2450 F. or cone 12 in ceramics language. It will cool until Thursday before unloading. Just like Christmas, I'll have to see if I got a nice present or a piece of coal. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• Burning bonsai.jpg
    Burning bonsai.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 327

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very nice idea, hope to see follow pictures soon and perhaps a larger pic of the Anagama kiln.

Grimmy

prestontolbert

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Awesome! My buddy Rob always likes to use a dead tree as the final stoke, and I picked up the habit. Thankfully I don't have a dead tree for every firing! It is a fitting end for a good old tree to become part of the glaze on new bonsai pots.
-PT

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well.......As grandfather said in the movie Little Big Man, "Sometimes the magic works and sometimes it don't". It didn't crack....however, a most unremarkable pot. If you believe it, I had a cream glaze on it. Black & Tan is my take on it. We think the kiln got much hotter than expected, cone 13-14, which probably burned out the color and caused the warping. Oh well....we are all students and that's how you learn. Many of the other pots were just fine (porcelain). You know its like the lottery....you gotta play to win. Welcome to ceramics!!

Attachments

• IMG_1301.jpg
    IMG_1301.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_1296.jpg
    IMG_1296.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 268

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The first pic.....kids looking for Christmas!!! The inside temp was still 350 F.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well I like how it looks, but the warping probably tough to get by. Any other pots of yours from t at kiln?

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dave, I just realized who this is!
When did you take up pottery and build the wood-fired kiln?
I never heard a thing about that?

BTW, I still love my right angle draw knife!! :>) My favorite jin tool.

Last edited:

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Dave, I just realized who this is!
When did you take up pottery and build the wood-fired kiln?
I never heard a thing about that?

BTW, I still love my right angle draw knife!! :>) My favorite jin tool.

Hey Dale,

I saw some of your posts...thought it could be fun. I didn't build a wood kiln. It's at Edinboro's (EUP)ceramics dept. I have some pals there and I'm auditing classes. Really good fun. A whole lot faster than woodcarving. They don't fire it often. Only when they have a student willing to organize the effort and it is a lot of effort and wood. We had teams of 3...24 hours a day for 3 days. A wheelbarrow load every 10 to 15 minutes at the peak.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello Dave,

Have you made pots before?

That's to bad about the warp. Regardless, I think you did a good job on the construction of this pot.

Did the kiln really get to cone 12? If so, that might account for the warp-age.

Cheers,
Paul

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hello Dave,

Have you made pots before?

That's to bad about the warp. Regardless, I think you did a good job on the construction of this pot.

Did the kiln really get to cone 12? If so, that might account for the warp-age.

Cheers,
Paul

I took a ceramic class in at Edinboro U of PA 40 years ago. Thought I'd try it again. Cone 12 was in a little puddle. Porcelain doesn't seem to mind the heat. I used stoneware.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I took a ceramic class in at Edinboro U of PA 40 years ago. Thought I'd try it again. Cone 12 was in a little puddle. Porcelain doesn't seem to mind the heat. I used stoneware.

The gentleman that taught me to throw went to school at Edinboro. I understand that they have a very good ceramics program there.

Store bought stoneware will have a hard time holding up to that hot of a firing. The other factor that will effect your work is the wadding. I could see other warped pieces in the photo you posted of the inside of the kiln. Extra care must be taken in how your work is wadded up for the firing.

I also noticed that they were stacking some work on top of each other. This too will cause you problems. Especially at that high a temperature.

Best of luck with your pottery Dave.

Cheers,
Paul

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Dale,

I saw some of your posts...thought it could be fun. I didn't build a wood kiln. It's at Edinboro's (EUP)ceramics dept. I have some pals there and I'm auditing classes. Really good fun. A whole lot faster than woodcarving. They don't fire it often. Only when they have a student willing to organize the effort and it is a lot of effort and wood. We had teams of 3...24 hours a day for 3 days. A wheelbarrow load every 10 to 15 minutes at the peak.

Keep up the pottery dave, but, don't give up the beautiful carving!!:eek:

Dale

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The gentleman that taught me to throw went to school at Edinboro. I understand that they have a very good ceramics program there.

Store bought stoneware will have a hard time holding up to that hot of a firing. The other factor that will effect your work is the wadding. I could see other warped pieces in the photo you posted of the inside of the kiln. Extra care must be taken in how your work is wadded up for the firing.

I also noticed that they were stacking some work on top of each other. This too will cause you problems. Especially at that high a temperature.

Best of luck with your pottery Dave.

Cheers,
Paul
We don't use store bought...we have to mix our own. Actually it was the wadding that caused the warp and cone 13-14. I think I'll stick to gas kiln. I'm over my fascination with the anagama. There are two profs there that did their masters in wood firing, however, this one was done by a grad student. He was the "kiln master".......hmmmm??. He lost all his big stuff from dunting. Good fun all the same. Great way to build community burning a lot of wood. The high energy students are great to be around and curious about it all. Oh.... the stacking was intentional to make it warp.

Last edited:

prestontolbert

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The main thing I do to get around warping is to make a whole lot of pots and expect to lose half. That way If more than half survive, I can consider it a success. lol Seriously, the main cause of warping is the shelf itself warping. For larger pots I always chose the flattest shelf possible and I'm very careful to have a very stable stack with perfectly vertical post alignment. And most of the time instead of wadding I use rice hulls. They, apparently are very difficult to find, as I had to drive to Darlington, SC to get a load. As long as you use good kiln wash and keep the kiln below cone 12, rice hulls are great. The other thing is my firing schedule. I fire to cone 9 bending (about 24 hours) and hold for 2 days then bump it up at the end to just bend cone 11. Soaking for that long builds up a really nice glaze and allows a super even heat throughout. By the way I really love the roof on that anagama, the way the arch ripples I can imagine the flame rolling and jumping through the kiln.
-PT

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The main thing I do to get around warping is to make a whole lot of pots and expect to lose half. That way If more than half survive, I can consider it a success. lol Seriously, the main cause of warping is the shelf itself warping. For larger pots I always chose the flattest shelf possible and I'm very careful to have a very stable stack with perfectly vertical post alignment. And most of the time instead of wadding I use rice hulls. They, apparently are very difficult to find, as I had to drive to Darlington, SC to get a load. As long as you use good kiln wash and keep the kiln below cone 12, rice hulls are great. The other thing is my firing schedule. I fire to cone 9 bending (about 24 hours) and hold for 2 days then bump it up at the end to just bend cone 11. Soaking for that long builds up a really nice glaze and allows a super even heat throughout. By the way I really love the roof on that anagama, the way the arch ripples I can imagine the flame rolling and jumping through the kiln.
-PT

The rice hulls sound great and so does the firing schedule. My pot was on the floor, so shelf wasn't an issue. There are three terraces in the kiln but most of one tier is used for side stoking. The flames do roll...its just like burning satan.:)

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Awesome. I just went to an anagama kiln firing this past weekend. I'm hoping to commission some unique hand crafted pots from my friends who work there.

Top Bottom