Assistance Needed With Montpelier Maple

Reaction score
So I purchased a Montpelier Maple last spring and have kept it in the bonsai nursery pot. I like the overall size of it currently (10" in height, 1" trunk diameter) and meant to transplant it into a training pot a month ago (early spring) but was not able to. I have noticed that the tree has become extremely root bound in the nursery pot. Currently it is full with leaves and looking good! So.....my question is: do I leave it in it's nursery pot (root bound as it is) and pot it in the training pot next early spring (2012) or can I do that now? Is there a more conservative approach that would give the tree the best chance of surviving?!?!

Many thanks!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Please give the Latin name of the Montpellier Maple. I don't find it anywhere.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Try "Montpelier Maple" ;-)

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
These can make interesting trees. I have three that I've been growing the trunks out for a few years and I've noticed that if they are root bound they will really slow down in putting out new growth.

They are not known as fast growers to begin with and have a relative short growing period but will put on some girth if in the ground. At most I think that I've only gotten about 6 to 8 inches of extension per year.

http://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/acermons.html

Top Bottom