Atlas Cedar... with apex moving away!!!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Never define the front of a bonsai by the apex :)

The first photo (of the tree from the side) should be your front. NOT because of the apex, but because of the nebari and the trunk line. All you have to do is wire up a new apex to the left and forward, and develop your branches a little bit more on the left than the right and voila! It is a pretty subtle informal upright, but I think it has very pleasing lines. To me that would be an exhibition tree.

Last edited:

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Never define the front of a bonsai by the apex :)

The first photo (of the tree from the side) should be your front. NOT because of the apex, but because of the nebari and the trunk line. All you have to do is wire up a new apex to the left and forward, and develop your branches a little bit more on the left than the right and voila! It is a pretty subtle informal upright, but I think it has very pleasing lines. To me that would be an exhibition tree.
This, I was thinking the same.
planted just a tad deeper the nebari looks way better then the other “fronts” and I like the movement more too.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Why not have it both ways? I had a tree that I showed one way when that appealed to me and the other when I liked that better. All it takes is rotating the pot!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I find it interesting that a good bonsai tends to look nice from many, if not all, angles. The front, though, is the view that has the most visual impact or best conveys the story/message/image. There also may be other subtleties that dictate the front, aside from ones that have already been highlighted in the discussion, such as perspective = comparatively thinner branches is back, thicker in front.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here’s a bit of a challenge. I have this Green Atlas Cedar, that’s been a bit neglected for a while. I’ll share it’s story in a follow-up post. But, I now have it at home where I can take the time to study it to figure out how to improve it.

First off, let’s take a look at it from the side:

View attachment 344359

It’s about 22 inches tall, the nebari is 8” at the soil, the trunk is 5 inches across.

See how the trunk at the apex moves to the right at the top? Hmm... That suggests the right side of this tree should be the front. Right?

Ok, let’s look at it:

View attachment 344361

Ok. Not bad, huh? But, something’s not right. This “feels” like it’s the back of the tree. There’s lots of branches obscuring a good view of the trunk. The trunk is pretty straight from this view, which is ok since it’s basically a formal upright. But it still has the juvenile bark of a young tree. (These thinks are like JWP... they take decades to develop flaky, fissured, mature bark). The trunk has very few visual scars. The branch structure is pretty symmetrical.

Now, let’s look at the other side:

View attachment 344360

Hmm... better view of the trunk! The branching is more open and asymmetric. Some mature bark is developing diwn low. The scars and wrinkles of the trunk add visual interest. Unfortunately, up near the top, there is a pruning scar that still needs healing, which the tree is doing, but it will take it a few more years.

But the biggest issue is, the apex moves away. It’s not noticeable when viewed from afar, like 15 feet or so, but you do notice when you inspect it up close.

So...

What to do?

Some options I’ve considered:

1) Restyle the tree to use the side where the apex moves forward as the front?

2) Live with it?

3) Change the potting angle a bit, and try to move the apex with wire?

4) Sell it on eBay?

What would you do?
Option 3 and repot on a Jan Culek or similar style slab.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Curled makes great slabs, for sure. I don’t think a slab is a good match for this tree.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Adair,

How's it going? I recently acquired a very nice multi trunk atlas cedar I will repot and style later in 2021. It's also a green.

As you mention it's hard to gauge the tree strictly from photos. I take your word for it that the current "back" is the better front--it is more open and I like the subtle movement. In the side profile of photo one, the nebari is more powerful but branches are more obtrusive and front facing in addition to the movement being something to be desired. Perhaps there is a compromise with slight angle rotation from the new front that would showcase a slightly bigger nebari. Of the current 3 photos I do like your choice the best.

Is it not possible to place a rebar along the trunk and pull the apex towards the new front? In my limited experience of wiring some atlas cedars so far, they seem very pliable and soft to bend.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the dark contrasting nebari and trunk line from photo #2. With some foliage movement you'd be able to see more of the trunk.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey Adair,

How's it going? I recently acquired a very nice multi trunk atlas cedar I will repot and style later in 2021. It's also a green.

As you mention it's hard to gauge the tree strictly from photos. I take your word for it that the current "back" is the better front--it is more open and I like the subtle movement. In the side profile of photo one, the nebari is more powerful but branches are more obtrusive and front facing in addition to the movement being something to be desired. Perhaps there is a compromise with slight angle rotation from the new front that would showcase a slightly bigger nebari. Of the current 3 photos I do like your choice the best.

Is it not possible to place a rebar along the trunk and pull the apex towards the new front? In my limited experience of wiring some atlas cedars so far, they seem very pliable and soft to bend.
Great minds think alike! I was looking at it today considering that option. I have not decided on a plan of action.

Meanwhile, does this tree look familiar?

2022D693-B4C9-4A07-B27D-B66EDCCFA345.jpeg

3D01BD5A-5ECD-4741-8763-3726CF92F0B4.jpeg

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Great minds think alike! I was looking at it today considering that option. I have not decided on a plan of action.

Meanwhile, does this tree look familiar?

View attachment 344469

View attachment 344470
Great to see! Normally I'm not on forums so much anymore, but I was tested positive for covid and had to quarantine! I had just received the results of a second confirmation test today that said the result was negative 🤔. Not sure what to make of it, but more time inside than usual.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Far from being at the level of giving u advice Adair but heres my thoughts.
Atlas cedar is considered by many to be a subspecies of cedar of Lebanon (cedrus lebani) or at least they look a lot alike.
Contrary as to what many think, and despite being a high elevation tree with heavy snow coverage, cedar develops very wide branches and very wide apices. Possibly the small needle leave size helps in decreasing snow load and weight.
Also the apex on ancient cedars is wide and many times slanting.
Natural growth shape is branches go up then out then get frequently elbow due to broken parts over the years ( guess this one is hard to swallow for many in bonsai design)
What this means looking at your tree is you could develop wide triangular pads and separate them a bit, then make ur apex very wide over few years and wire it so it comes to the front and slants even if the main support is rather on the back it'll look as a front apex.
Ryan Neils had an episode about a Lebanese cedar and apex was left at the back, it looked a bit weird as u say but was beautiful. Not sure if can share a pic of his content but his tree was inspired by one from lebanon ill share a pic of the wild tree here, 1st pic in the set of pics below . Check branch growth on last picScreenshot_20201215-074405_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20201215-074313_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20201215-075414_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20201215-075527_Chrome.jpg

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm obviously no expert. But couldn't you use a clamp on the apex and slowly bring it to the correct position.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yup, make that side image your front. Good nebari. Trunk with interest. Just thin /rewire the branches a little, maybe tilt to the left a few degrees.

Top Bottom