Attapulgite (Oil Dry) Update Please

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't mean to bring up NAPA, it's just one of the components I'm testing out with oil-dri mixes.

I would love to try pumice and lava in more mixes but they don't seem widely available for a reasonable price in Florida. Other than buying a bag of landscape lava from lowes and crushing it with a hammer.

It's exercise, I guess.

I was thinking about finding someone cool at a quarry to crush some lava......
Maybe a Jackson.

But time after time....people say it's a waste of time to crush it by hand! It is.

Sorce

Reactions: Geo

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
Oil dri,oil dry,cat litter or whatever name it has, only this matters ,100% diatomite or diatomaceous earth,everything else is mud.

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
I was thinking about finding someone cool at a quarry to crush some lava......
Maybe a Jackson.

But time after time....people say it's a waste of time to crush it by hand! It is.

Sorce

It is not the kind of exercise that helps. Remember the dust as well. I have access to it but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the size down otherwise. I will probably walk down to the nursery that stocks it in a big pile,take a couple of sieves and go for it. Probably give the locals a laugh.

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
I have access to it but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the size down otherwise.

Since lava rock tends to be available around here in bulk, yet still in the size closer to one inch minus, I have pondered the possibility of laying two spacer 1/4" - 3/8" thick strips parallel on a concrete or steel slab, fill the area between the spacers with lava (or pumice) and pound/crush with something more the size of a sledge hammer, but use the side of the hammer head so at each impact/crush, the head is stopped by the spacers to cause a more uniform down sizing of the chunks. In my mind the theory works excellent.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Been searching the internet for sources of Dry Stall. Have had no luck. Anyone know of the manufacturers web site so I can look for local distributors?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Been searching the internet for sources of Dry Stall. Have had no luck. Anyone know of the manufacturers web site so I can look for local distributors?
I also am looking for a cheap source of pumice- I had to pay $40 for a latge flat rate box of it last time. Cant do that again.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also am looking for a cheap source of pumice- I had to pay $40 for a latge flat rate box of it last time. Cant do that again.
Why? Wee tree sells large flat rate boxes for $29. Others on facebook or ebay sell for similar. Still not cheap, but whatcha gonna do? If it's not available locally, you either pay for it to be shipped, or use other local ingredients.

BTW...beware, the stuff sold by wee tree has a wide range of particle sizes including very small and very large so you have to sift. The stuff sold on ebay is more consistent, but you're stuck with whatever that size is.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Why? Wee tree sells large flat rate boxes for $29. Others on facebook or ebay sell for similar. Still not cheap, but whatcha gonna do? If it's not available locally, you either pay for it to be shipped, or use other local ingredients.

BTW...beware, the stuff sold by wee tree has a wide range of particle sizes including very small and very large so you have to sift. The stuff sold on ebay is more consistent, but you're stuck with whatever that size is.
I think this time I am actually going to purchase it from BonsaiJack, even though it is slightly pricey. It is very clean and consistent, so Ive heard at least. $31 and free ship for 3.5 gallons.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@DougB maybe this could help? found a PDF link showing the cut sheet of the material with the company name and address with contact info.

Thanks Lieuz but that is for the NAPA product not the Dry Stall. Thanks for your effort.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just found out they grocery store closest by sells bags of cat litter that is 100% attapulgite for €0.99. anyone has gotten recent experiences with this type of baked clay? Might try it for seedlings...

Top Bottom