Awesome! I was taking care of a dead tree =-(

Shimpaku

Yamadori
Reaction score
Guessing for around 6 months. Hacked it with a viscious chop, waited for 6 months and dead as I don't know what.

Man, I took good care of that dead tree and it was a Shimpaku. Go me! I had a suspicion when I found a branch of it that I cut off 6 months ago on the ground recently and it was still green. I said "Uh oh."

I feel stupid, but I guess it's true what they say: You're not Bonsai'ing unless you've killed a couple good ones.

I'm sticking to trees that show obvious signs of bad health over a shorter period of time. The Shimp was quite a mystery until now. :(

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
does that mean you're going to change your handle to maple? :)

Sorry you lost your tree, we've all been there.:(

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Pshh, go Ficus!!

I send my condolences as well.

Shimpaku

Yamadori
Reaction score
does that mean you're going to change your handle to maple? :)

Keeping the handle, but changed the location to D--E--D= Ded

Silver lining: room for one more and the significant other gives the A Ok. Decisions, decisions......
*Disclaimer-- I am limited to 7

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Get a couple to raise it to 8, then say one will probably die.:cool:

Those vicious chops can be killers.

Shimpaku

Yamadori
Reaction score
Get a couple to raise it to 8, then say one will probably die.:cool:

Those vicious chops can be killers.

You are right Bill. I really didn't have much experience with a chop--the when, why, aftercare. I had no business cutting down a large beautiful Shimp in the way that I did. For my level of skill (Let's be honest, or lack thereof) I will work to keep and use what's there, only removing a couple branches at a time over an extended period. I have gotten good with the repot though--haven't lost one yet and it sure does throw some vigor into the tree when done right.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Recently I had to dig up a 10 ft arborvitae, and just to get it liftable, it took some vicious chops from a chainsaw........ but then there were these buds and lots of fibrous roots and I thought, "greg, what you need is a 150 lb bonsai that will take crazy amounts of time space and energy and 3 people two move plus a pot so big you cant afford it..." So I heeled it in by the veggie bed and will probably spend a few months fretting over a dead stump I should have taken to the dump...... oh well lots of carving practice if it works!

Shimpaku

Yamadori
Reaction score
That's way more than I have invested. I can't think of anything analogous to taking care of something for an unspecified period of time, never really sure if it's coming back or not. Really wierd and a chop is quite a gamble.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
great thing about being a gardener who keeps bonsai is you sometimes get paid to acquire some cool plants. my best european privet was from an old hedge. bad thing about being a bonsai hobbyist who is a gardener is you always end up with too many new projects......... especially in spring!

Top Bottom