Awful pot alert!

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
This is the soil my largest porty is in (it was defoliated in this pic, hence the odd structure)
Notice how different it is from the soil that came in your pot.

Edit: been having problems posting pics lately

Last edited:

moved on

Yamadori
Reaction score
Oh gosh, the branch chopping made me feel nervous! I hadn't realised how weepy the tree looks when more developed. The final tree looks great.

I've drawn on my picture of my jade to see what removing the lower branches would look like. I like it and I think it would look good weeping from the top.

IMG_2645_LI.jpg

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Portulacaria is a fun specimen. Easy to propogate from cuttings also. They bud from older wood no problem.

The pot is nice... maybe not for a tropical but i could see a pine or spruce being suitable in future. With pots, just keep in mind you can always put something new in them after a yearish.
I would've thought pine or spruce in an unglazed pot, maybe a nice shohin maple or elm?

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Better trunk and nebari than in the catalog photo--nice! I believe somewhere I saw this species styled to look like a baobab tree with branches clustered at the top.

moved on

Yamadori
Reaction score
Better trunk and nebari than in the catalog photo--nice! I believe somewhere I saw this species styled to look like a baobab tree with branches clustered at the top.
Yes, I'm really happy with it.

I decided to go for the chop. It looks good. I thought before it looked a bit clunky.

I've got some pumice stones to mix in with some succulent soil coming tomorrow.

moved on

Yamadori
Reaction score
Re-pot complete! I mixed pumice stones into a soil for succulents and layered pumice stones on the top and bottom of the pot.

IMG_2651.jpgIMG_2655.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2652.jpg
    IMG_2652.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 0

moved on

Yamadori
Reaction score
Much better.

Thank you. I'm quite besotted with my new addition to the bonsai family.

I think the Jade will be much happier now. When I was removing the old soil, I could see how water-logged the roots were as a result of having a high water-retaining soil.

moved on

Yamadori
Reaction score
Poor little Jade has been having some issues. I noticed when it arrived that there was some evidence of root rot - I thought I removed it when re-potting but I noticed today that the leaves looked thinner and slightly wrinkled. I checked the roots and small amounts of rot had returned. Some roots were very soft.

I've removed it again, cleaned the pots, washed the roots and re-potted in fresh soil. I'm going to let it dry out a bit as I've probably been over-watering it too and making the issue worse; the roots feel very damp. I think they were really saturated when it arrived.

I've only had it a few days so let's hope it recovers!

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The roots can be soft and fleshy. Its not a hardwood tree.

I suggest leaving it alone, in the sun for a few weeks. Letting the soil dry well in between waterings.

Afras require a measured amount of neglect.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Normal practice for repotting succulents/cactus is to let roots remain dry for 1or2 weeks for callus to dry on roots and prevent rot. They were made for drought conditions so will not harm at all;).

moved on

Yamadori
Reaction score
suggest leaving it alone, in the sun for a few weeks. Letting the soil dry well in between waterings.

Afras require a measured amount of neglect.
Normal practice for repotting succulents/cactus is to let roots remain dry for 1or2 weeks for callus to dry on roots and prevent rot. They were made for drought conditions so will not harm at all;)

Thanks for the advice; I hadn't fully appreciated that. Should I just not worry too much about the slightly shrivelled and limp leaves for now? I will resist the urge to over-nurture!

I did give it a small sprinkle of water this morning (there are mixed messages online as to what to do with a Jade whose's are looking a bit limp) but I won't now for at least a week as recommended. I've been moving it outside into the Sun during that day but taking it in at night.

Top Bottom