AxisDE Vs. Blue Ribbon Cat litter

elroy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Th process of heating DE in the calcining process converts the silica from an amorphous state to crystaline silica. Exposure to crystaline silica through breathing leads to silacosis which in the case of prolonged exposure can lead desth. Here is an OSHA publication on that: Silicosis

See also http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/oem.58.1.38

Crystalline silica exposure and lung cancer mortality in diatomaceous earth industry workers: a quantitative risk assessment

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last time I heard Ryan talking about DE, he said they were still evaluating. I don't think they've been using it long enough to draw
any firm conclusions

Minnesota Madman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
So doing my research on a readily available D.E (@milehigh_7 chime in if you can) and AxisDE coarse cannot be bought around my location for anything less then 1k pound truck load which is a large heavy duty tote...now EP minerals also makes “Blue Ribbon Cat Litter” which you can get pretty cheap on amazon...the msds sheets for both products on EP minerals site is exactly the same except for product name...contacting a rep there said they use the same hard D.E. For both products...so that being said I’m buying a single 4.5 pound bag off amazon right now to see how it looks but just wanted to get others input on this...this is not a thread for arguing for or against D.E. Just on comparing these 2 products...oh and I have some AxisDE coarse I bought from @milehigh_7 so I will compare the 2....what do you think @Smoke @sorce

Did you ever get the Blue Ribbon? I'm very interested in hearing what you came up with. Is it for sure calcined? Thanks.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Any of them using akadama?
Heard that some complained about extra root like growths on the cats pads when using Akadama so they discontinued in favour of 8822 knowing that would not be a problem. They claim the 8822 clumps better into cement like formations that can be flushed!
Personally i could not confirm that. When i used 8822 it just turned to mush in the grow boxes, maybe it needs to be in a litter box in order to perform.:eek: Sorry could not resist;)

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know a guy who has 7 or 8 bags of zeolite 50lb bags, but he is not into bonsai it was for something else a long time ago. Apparently you can use it for cat litter, and plants. It’s just sitting in his basement, he wants me to sell them for him.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
repotted a one yr from wild collected elm this past early spring -was in 100% 8822...looked like Rapunzel...looked like a fine Rogained Persian

have same tree in more of a standard standard mix presently...time will tell

Minnesota Madman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Funny, on the CatNut forum just the other day they were arguing whether Turface or 8822 was better to use in the litter box.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Sometime people should have a mock thread about "what sorta dirt you nutjobs torture them baby banzai trees in." Just see how many ridiculous things people can come up with for stereotypes and the like.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Sometime people should have a mock thread about "what sorta dirt you nutjobs torture them baby banzai trees in." Just see how many ridiculous things people can come up with for stereotypes and the like.

I live in Tennessee...bastion of the modern stereotype

Japanese rock, sure why not

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Long time no post on this thread...with the quarantine I have time! Did the comparison today!

Our two contenders! AxisDE and Blue ribbon DE (both from ep minerals)8041831A-2676-45C1-834D-2D1851CE1B52.jpeg
AxisDE definitely has less fines and is an all around different color...because it’s calcined? 👀

818EC1C0-0C67-4901-BFF6-CF023C0C584C.jpeg70C145D2-4C17-4D92-B887-FAB343FE9477.jpeg

I picked roughly the same size particle out of each batch

77AAF9C5-B756-4941-90EA-D5D1F8328A07.jpeg3EA9DF40-F77F-4BD7-A459-28D4E2F4EBEF.jpeg

Then I moistened the particles32442A46-38A9-4E77-92CF-56E3832A2841.jpeg
Color change is evident, both products change to a darker shade when moistened.

Now for the crush test, after moistened each particle was crushed using the same amount of force
F04DAD05-61D6-4F75-BD5F-4126ACAA2506.jpeg
The AxisDE didn’t even flinch when wet, the Blue Ribbon shattered but didn’t turn to dust.....

Draw your own conclusions but I like the AxisDE product and have used it in multiple mixes, only draw back I see is there is a lot of larger then 1/4” grain in the bag that will need to be crushed down and sifted, Blue ribbon has a ton of fines and dosent hold up well once moistened

Top Bottom