Azalea buds out from old wood?

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Now I'm confused whether I should prune after the flowers fall or in winter. Everyone say they prune them after flowers fall. Why do you prune in winter? Thank you.
I like to prune in late winter, ie early to mid March, in my area. The plant is beginning to wake up so there is less chance of dieback from fungal infection during dormancy. I think most people prune after flowering so they can see the flowers.

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you all for very good information and advices. Really appreciate it!

I think I wait until vinter before I prune the trees then.

Attachments

• 20200508_194303.jpg
    20200508_194303.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200508_194322.jpg
    20200508_194322.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 36

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You should get them out of those pots. Repot them in full ground maybe? Try to rake open the root ball. And prune away the branches that cause reverse taper. It is not meant to stay in that pot because it is very likely completely root-bound. And letting it grow freely will irreversibly change some parts of the truck for the worse. If you have two branches emerging from the same spot and you let both branches thicken, it will cause reverse taper that you can only get rid off by a signficiant fattening up of the entire trunk.

You can spit and or prune back to old wood next year.

The cultivar both are typical kurume-type azalea.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you all for very good information and advices. Really appreciate it!

I think I wait until vinter before I prune the trees then.
I'm not sure what the weather is like in Denmark, but you may have to wait until early spring to make the cutback. I'll let the northern Europeans help you out on that one.

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You should get them out of those pots. Repot them in full ground maybe? Try to rake open the root ball. And prune away the branches that cause reverse taper. It is not meant to stay in that pot because it is very likely completely root-bound. And letting it grow freely will irreversibly change some parts of the truck for the worse. If you have two branches emerging from the same spot and you let both branches thicken, it will cause reverse taper that you can only get rid off by a signficiant fattening up of the entire trunk.

You can spit and or prune back to old wood next year.

The cultivar both are typical kurume-type azalea.
Very good information. Thank you! 👍

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm not sure what the weather is like in Denmark, but you may have to wait until early spring to make the cutback. I'll let the northern Europeans help you out on that one.
We have very mild vinters in Denmark. We make trunk chop on other species from leaf drop in autumn through the vinter and the early spring. I think the same is possible with the Azalea?
I don't know why you think I should wait until spring with the cutback, perhaps you thought we have cold winters? :)

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In the picture the white one is about to start flowering and the other just started flowering. I would select a main trunk line and prune back the competing candidate-trunks (that will cause reverse tapering if you let them thicken) to the last twig so it barely still has some leaves on it. That way you have selected a trunk line, and you are now focusing on thickening up that trunk line so it actually becomes the trunk. While these other branches were pruned back to a minimal amount of leaves, so they will largely stay as they are (at least for this year).

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In the picture the white one is about to start flowering and the other just started flowering. I would select a main trunk line and prune back the competing candidate-trunks (that will cause reverse tapering if you let them thicken) to the last twig so it barely still has some leaves on it. That way you have selected a trunk line, and you are now focusing on thickening up that trunk line so it actually becomes the trunk. While these other branches were pruned back to a minimal amount of leaves, so they will largely stay as they are (at least for this year).
Good idea! Will do that👍

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I tried to make this long post, but then the forum gave errors and then it went offline.

Let's see if it posts:

You can see the pink one is already growing new leaves. Removing all flowers will slightly speed up the emergence of new shoots from the axil around the flower buds.

These azalea will not bud back from the trunk. If you prune a branch to old wood only, it will grow new shoots from the nearest dormant bud at the position where you cut it. And all dormant buds elsewhere will stay dormant. (satsuki are a bit different) To get reliable backbudding on your trunk, you need to cut away all leaves. If you do that, it is kind of like an equal playing field for all dormant buds anywhere. In spring, the tree has saved energy to push new growth. It is going to have to do that anyway because it loses most of it's leaves in autumn to prepare for winter. So when you prune in (early to mid) spring, you are not removing any invested energy because you are not removing shoots it has just produced but not received much energy back from. And then it has the whole growing season ahead to grow that new growth out. If you have a long growing season, you can do it in the middle. Then, you are removing some new growth just after it was created. But the plant has been growing and collecting energy for a few months now. So it is not a problem. If you prune the pink one as it is now, you would be removing these new shoots it has just created. If you prune the white one, you are still in time. But the pink one kinda is a bit late. That said, you can still do it. It will just be less ideal. If you have a large azalea nursery in Japan, you can't do everything at the exact ideal moment. Because then, everything has to be repotted at the same time. Everything has to be pruned at the same time, etc. So they can't adhere to the perfect timing method anyway. If you prune late summer, it will also push growth. But it won't have a lot of time to grow before the growning season ends. If you really prune early autumn, you will still get new growth, but it may not harden off properly for winter.

But what you don't want to do is prune your azalea a little two or three times a year for several years. And then cut it back to nothing. So cut away now what is going to undermine your future trunk line. Then let it grow freely. And when you are semi-satisfied with how fat the trunk is, cut it back to just the trunk. And then if you are truly happy and don't want to repeat that cycle, put it in a bonsai pot. Because azalea are plants, not trees, and because they have flowers, having a stick in a pot for an azalea is fine. But if you want something that looks like tree, it will take many years growing in full ground. And that growth should be as uninhibited as possible as long as that doesn't cause reverse taper. The thickness of the trunk is dictated by the amount of foliage surface area it has to support.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We have very mild vinters in Denmark. We make trunk chop on other species from leaf drop in autumn through the vinter and the early spring. I think the same is possible with the Azalea?
I don't know why you think I should wait until spring with the cutback, perhaps you thought we have cold winters? :)
I've had problems with cutbacks as the tree enters dormancy. I've gotten fungal infections and the tree(s) died, perhaps due to not being able to fight infection when dormant.

ElyDave

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ely, Cambridge, UK, Zone 8 (whatever that means)
I'm in UK, so similar maritime climate to Denmark, mostly mild winters. Last winter was the warmest on record as was this April, but just now the wind has turned to the north and has gone chilly for the time of year.

I have an azalea that has never failed to flower, around this time of year, a mass of beautiful pink flowers. It's gone a bit leggy and needs trimming back and repotting, which I plan to do late May to mid June once it's flowered. I'll post a picture in the next couple of weeks when it's in full flower.

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I tried to make this long post, but then the forum gave errors and then it went offline.

Let's see if it posts:

You can see the pink one is already growing new leaves. Removing all flowers will slightly speed up the emergence of new shoots from the axil around the flower buds.

These azalea will not bud back from the trunk. If you prune a branch to old wood only, it will grow new shoots from the nearest dormant bud at the position where you cut it. And all dormant buds elsewhere will stay dormant. (satsuki are a bit different) To get reliable backbudding on your trunk, you need to cut away all leaves. If you do that, it is kind of like an equal playing field for all dormant buds anywhere. In spring, the tree has saved energy to push new growth. It is going to have to do that anyway because it loses most of it's leaves in autumn to prepare for winter. So when you prune in (early to mid) spring, you are not removing any invested energy because you are not removing shoots it has just produced but not received much energy back from. And then it has the whole growing season ahead to grow that new growth out. If you have a long growing season, you can do it in the middle. Then, you are removing some new growth just after it was created. But the plant has been growing and collecting energy for a few months now. So it is not a problem. If you prune the pink one as it is now, you would be removing these new shoots it has just created. If you prune the white one, you are still in time. But the pink one kinda is a bit late. That said, you can still do it. It will just be less ideal. If you have a large azalea nursery in Japan, you can't do everything at the exact ideal moment. Because then, everything has to be repotted at the same time. Everything has to be pruned at the same time, etc. So they can't adhere to the perfect timing method anyway. If you prune late summer, it will also push growth. But it won't have a lot of time to grow before the growning season ends. If you really prune early autumn, you will still get new growth, but it may not harden off properly for winter.

But what you don't want to do is prune your azalea a little two or three times a year for several years. And then cut it back to nothing. So cut away now what is going to undermine your future trunk line. Then let it grow freely. And when you are semi-satisfied with how fat the trunk is, cut it back to just the trunk. And then if you are truly happy and don't want to repeat that cycle, put it in a bonsai pot. Because azalea are plants, not trees, and because they have flowers, having a stick in a pot for an azalea is fine. But if you want something that looks like tree, it will take many years growing in full ground. And that growth should be as uninhibited as possible as long as that doesn't cause reverse taper. The thickness of the trunk is dictated by the amount of foliage surface area it has to support.
Wow thank you so much for all that great information. Very usefull! Now I know exactly what to do. I will keep you updated👍

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've had problems with cutbacks as the tree enters dormancy. I've gotten fungal infections and the tree(s) died, perhaps due to not being able to fight infection when dormant.
Ahh I see. We have very mild winters and some of trees didn't enter dormancy last winter. But I will make cutbacks in early spring. Thank you👍

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm in UK, so similar maritime climate to Denmark, mostly mild winters. Last winter was the warmest on record as was this April, but just now the wind has turned to the north and has gone chilly for the time of year.

I have an azalea that has never failed to flower, around this time of year, a mass of beautiful pink flowers. It's gone a bit leggy and needs trimming back and repotting, which I plan to do late May to mid June once it's flowered. I'll post a picture in the next couple of weeks when it's in full flower.
I sounds exactly as the weather we got here. Warmest winter in many years and now it's a bit colder than we are used to in May.
Yes let us see the flowers please👍

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ahh I see. We have very mild winters and some of trees didn't enter dormancy last winter. But I will make cutbacks in early spring. Thank you👍
I should clarify that I'm talking about big structural cutbacks like removing limbs and trunk chops. Smaller styling cutbacks can be done in the fall when wiring your tree.

ElyDave

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ely, Cambridge, UK, Zone 8 (whatever that means)
I sounds exactly as the weather we got here. Warmest winter in many years and now it's a bit colder than we are used to in May.
Yes let us see the flowers please👍
IMG_1095.JPG
Just breaking bud, along with the pot it will go into. The left hand branch will be trained as a semi-cascade

Top Bottom