Azalea from EasternLeaf

BJYeeYee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello! I got my mom a Satsuki Azalea Tree from Eastern leaf for Mothers Day and Nurses week and it came looking quite sad. Below are a few pictures. My mom lives in Central Minnesota. I originally got an Apple Blossom tree from Eastern Leaf in perfect condition, but the red ruby tree I got for my mother looks like a zombie. Any help is much appreciated and thank you for your time!

Attachments

• A3.JPG
    A3.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 108
  • A4.JPG
    A4.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Azalea1.JPG
    Azalea1.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Azalea2.JPG
    Azalea2.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 114

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I actually have one from them and it arrived in very good condition and bloomed profusely. Send them pictures of how it arrived. Maybe not a high end bonsai place, but the trees are usually healthy and their customer service is good. I imagine they will replace it or refund your money. Here's mine. Their soil is not so great, it's very dense and needs alot of water. I plan on repotting mine soon. ruby red.jpgruby red flowers.jpg

BJYeeYee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thank you for the response everyone. I have also ordered form eastern leaf before and I got a beautiful pink apple blossom azalea, but somehow this one must've been a fluke or something.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Are we talking about the Azalea pictured above? I didn't see anything wrong with it... the blooms have faded and the leaves has mineral deposit. One broken branch which could happen when shipping but I don't think they need to replace with a new one. Maybe they shouldn't have ship this one since the past bloom but other than that I don't see anything wrong with the plant.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Are we talking about the Azalea pictured above? I didn't see anything wrong with it... the blooms have faded and the leaves has mineral deposit. One broken branch which could happen when shipping but I don't think they need to replace with a new one. Maybe they shouldn't have ship this one since the past bloom but other than that I don't see anything wrong with the plant.
Look closer to the black foliage under the mineral deposits.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Those are not black. They are purple which is also a color of Azalea. They are healthy leaves.
Guess that didn't look normal to me. 🤷‍♀️ I get fall colors on my satsuki. But just seemed odd to me. To me the stem looked shriveled. Near the foliage. But I've only got two azaleas. None have looked like that.
Screenshot_20210517-132742_Firefox.jpg

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Guess that didn't look normal to me. 🤷‍♀️ I get fall colors on my satsuki. But just seemed odd to me. To me the stem looked shriveled. Near the foliage. But I've only got two azaleas. None have looked like that.
View attachment 375325
This is a broken branch that get dried up. I hope you not referring to this one and saying this is not a healthy plant.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is a broken branch that get dried up. I hope you not referring to this one and saying this is not a healthy plant.
See I didn't see where it had been broken. I assumed one removed a stem to show us a better understanding of what was going on. Apparently I was mistaken?

BJYeeYee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
See I didn't see where it had been broken. I assumed one removed a stem to show us a better understanding of what was going on. Apparently I was mistaken?
The branch fell off most likely due to packaging. Sorry for the lack of clarity on that part!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The branch fell off most likely due to packaging. Sorry for the lack of clarity on that part!
A branch snapping can happen.

Out of curiosity I did Google the species in Google images. And...there are many images which shows the purple foliage.

Where in which... @namnhi is most certainly on the mark. This tree is healthy. We just didn't understand the characteristics of the cultivar .

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think the problem here is they shipped a plant that is past bloom. The problem is most buyers buy flowering plant for the flower... in this case the buyer is definitely looking for the bloom as it is a gift for the mother. The buyer expectation didn't meet but the plant is healthy. It is a complicate issue as they can't just replace the plant when it is healthy... but it didn't meet the buyer expectation. No happy party in this other than USPS :)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not the one Carol83 posted. Look at the very first post. That tree isnt healthy

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There is no doubt in my mind that even from the contrasty pictures shown that this azalea has been beat…. maybe not with a stick, but by something… as the leaf tips are discolored on a number of branches and deformed.

I’ve gotten multiple azaleas from at least 8 suppliers in the past year and only one has been in this shape. I was warned in advance by the supplier and got it for a discount … and chose knowingly to get it as I wanted that specific cultivar as I couldn’t get anywhere else,

The first thing I’d do is call Eastern Leaf and send these photos to them as evidence.

The second I’d get it outside in morning sun and be sure to water sparingly for a week.

Finally while you are waiting for a resolution. strip off all the spent flower buds, including the stems. That will shift the energy from these areas to the rest of the plant….

Good luck, let us know how this turns out?
Cheers
DSD sends

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not the one Carol83 posted. Look at the very first post. That tree isnt healthy
I have no beef in this and I know what pictures I was looking at when make the comment. I was looking at it on a real computer monitor too and not from my phone. I know what a healthy Azalea look. I stand by my comments.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have no beef in this and I know what pictures I was looking at when make the comment. I was looking at it on a real computer monitor too and not from my phone. I know what a healthy Azalea look. I stand by my comments.

I am also on a real computer monitor (all 27 inches of one) and not on a phone. The azalea in the first post does not look a healthy plant to me.
None of my healthy azalea ever looked like that, the ones in pots or the ones in my landscaping that have been growing here for 30 plus years.
The leaves look like they are peeling or have a fungus of some sort

Last edited:

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I guess we will all have to agree to disagree…. I’m ok with that.

Yet the OP did have another healthy azalea to compare to… and wrote this post as due to concerns about it looking healthy.

Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom