Azalea Picture Identification Thread

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
'Umihotaru'
1656107356866.png

Honestly, I don't like it so much. Large flower that doesn't have a neat shape. All flowers have been white with lots of spots like this one.
I have seen some great picture of other 'Umihotaru', though. I will see next year if my plant has more potential to please me.
With the great new azaleas I have, not so excited about this one.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That’s-a great question! I’d love to hear place folks go diving for azaleas myself.

However, at the risk of getting scalded I better post an azalea before I go on.

Nyohozan - an oldie but goodie!. A slow grower though! But worth the effort!

B471F368-D344-4C7D-AE97-B875B889539B.jpeg

…Continuing…. Sources are pretty much everywhere on my side of the road.

It’s a whole ‘nother specialized area of Bonsai purchasing. Just being aware of opportunities is key.

You absolutely can’t go wrong with Nuccios Nursery. Azalea Hills and Gardens and a number of niche and mainline nursery providers. These providers are usually pretty good about providing stock that is true to type (for multi patterned azaleas). But sometimes not. It’s maddening to get a robust plant that just didn’t look right.

A few sources… Riverbend gardens, Kusa-Farm are other favorites …and there are many other sources. The neighbors azaleas etc 😉

In fact one of my favorite semi doubles came out of my front yard…go figure.

Many of the azaleas here were bought as mother plants and then raised from cuttings. One can also get cuttings from ASA members. Good luck!

DSD sends

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That’s-a great question! I’d love to hear place folks go diving for azaleas myself.

However, at the risk of getting scalded I better post an azalea before I go on.

Nyohozan - an oldie but goodie!. A slow grower though! But worth the effort!

View attachment 443717

…Continuing…. Sources are pretty much everywhere on my side of the road.

It’s a whole ‘nother specialized area of Bonsai purchasing. Just being aware of opportunities is key.

You absolutely can’t go wrong with Nuccios Nursery. Azalea Hills and Gardens and a number of niche and mainline nursery providers. These providers are usually pretty good about providing stock that is true to type (for multi patterned azaleas). But sometimes not. It’s maddening to get a robust plant that just didn’t look right.

A few sources… Riverbend gardens, Kusa-Farm are other favorites …and there are many other sources. The neighbors azaleas etc 😉

In fact one of my favorite semi doubles came out of my front yard…go figure.

Many of the azaleas here were bought as mother plants and then raised from cuttings. One can also get cuttings from ASA members. Good luck!

DSD sends
Azalea hill. Is it 3.50 a Azalea? And 20 to a flat rate box for 22? Am I reading this right? If so I see at least 20 more in my collection.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another variation of Taiho

7E1F196B-3D7D-4A81-B2DA-022D02EE647F.jpeg

Yep, that’s Ronnie Palmer’s site. Two things.

Do research on his cultivars ahead of time. Especially pay attention to flower and leaf size. Ronnie is a big ASA guy so lots of landscape azaleas on his site that would be problematic for bonsai, but lots that are great.

Ronnie ships longer size with o containers. Be ready to put out upon arrival.

Cheers
DSD sends

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
He lists several satsuki that I would like to have just for the flowers. Does the pics he has listed match what he ships. He lists a kinsai that looks nothing like my kinsai.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That’s not even a Kinsai. So the photo is totally inaccurate.

Most all Satsuki I’ve gotten from Azalea Hills, appear proper, yet I won’t know for sure if they are true to type for up to 7 years, or not if all branches bloom dominant.

Honestly, I’ve never used his photos except to see his Huang azaleas. I just order directly off the availability list.

When in doubt, contact Ronnie directly. He’s usually available

Cheers
DSD sends

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Almost all I have posted in this thread were imported from Japan. The plan is to propagate them, as some are very new. It will take some time and then they will only be available to EU.

Top Bottom