B-Nine for fruiting species

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was lucky enough to attend a demonstration led by Koji Hiramatsu last year and he told the leader of the class that B-Nine was used to make beautyberry and other non-dwarf fruiting bonsai both fruit closer to the trunk as well as create branching with denser ramification and branching.

Here is B-Nine:

I wanted to put this here so folks interested in fruiting varieties would see it, and also because I'm interested if anyone has used it. I had assumed that it was a granular that you watered in vs. foliar application...

Kievnstavick

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is the first time I have heard of this product. Foliar application maybe better depending on how to plant uses and takes in the chemical

Apparently there is a controversy surrounding this product and it is heavily regulated or banned for use in some states. Since my state falls into that category, I only stuck with surface level information.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Interesting about the claims to shorten internodw length. I wonder if this could be applicable on some Japanese maple varieties like sangu Kaku, which have pretty features but long internodes which make them difficult to bonsai well

Edit - not sure if this is applicable to trees or just shrubs.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It has been used for several decades on flowering crops like mums. I am reluctant to consider its use frivolously.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Interesting. Everyone loves shorter internodes.

The active ingredient in this product is also known as ALAR and has a pretty interesting history. Still on the market for ornamentals only. Not for fruiting varieties?

Looking at the safety side, there are some aspects that raise flags. Seen worse

Looking at the B9 ESG safety data sheet

Note the signal word Warning for eye irritation and later as a skin irritant - so moderate issues with this product.

The company will not ship this product to a number of states, including CA, CT, DC, IN, ME, MI, NY, OR, RI, SC, VT, WA.

This one of the longest lists of states I’ve seen on a chemical label in awhile.…partially explained as it reacts strongly with strong acids, strong bases and oxidizers and can form combustible dust concentrations in air…. also likely from its past history.

cheers
DSD sends

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, I am going to conduct plant growth regulator trials this year and I will be starting a thread to document it.

I am testing these three:
  • B9
  • Chlormequat (Cycocel)
  • Ethephon (Monterey Florel)
1707758794946.png
I will be using Japanese and trident maples, with controls, and also princess persimmon to see if B9 helps the fruit hold. Should be very interesting.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very interesting. Gotta love a good experiment! Love to see the results.

Equally as interesting might be to ask “What would the growth rates be after the experiment is over?”

Actually all three haz chems seem very similar on the safety front. Except wouldn’t store the latter two chemicals near steel or aluminum. Avoid metal mixing tools/containers.

Looking forward to seeing the results over time.

cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Interesting, I hadn’t looked at safety yet 😰

Might play into my decision to use it or not, sounds like folks are indicating it’s pretty scary

Kievnstavick

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As a matter of fact, I am going to conduct plant growth regulator trials this year and I will be starting a thread to document it.

I am testing these three:
  • B9
  • Chlormequat (Cycocel)
  • Ethephon (Monterey Florel)
View attachment 528459
I will be using Japanese and trident maples, with controls, and also princess persimmon to see if B9 helps the fruit hold. Should be very interesting.
Do you think you could add fulvic/humic Acid to this? It isn't so much a regulator as an enhancer that pushes new growth from buds. The culmination of all that growth might result in a smaller plant with more options to chose from.

Just an idea and I am interested in watching this expirement unfold.

Top Bottom