Back Operation - What do I do About my Trees?

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey folks!

After nearly two years of waiting, I am due to see a surgeon next week to discuss my ongoing back problem; I’m hoping he will say he can operate which will be an absolute godsend as I have been housebound for the last 2 1/2 years, out of work and generally cheesed off! If he does operate and it’s a success, it will (hopefully) reduce my pain by up your 80% and increase my mobility by nearly 100% so I’ve got my fingers crossed!

:Big Thumb:
:Big Thumb:

The problem I’ve got is, it means I could be admitted to hospital quite quickly and, as the operation has about 8-12 months recovery time, means I probably won’t be able to work on my trees at the usual time this year. I’ve got a larch forest to repot (which has just started shooting due to this ridiculously mild weather), maples to repot and run thread-grafts on for branches and roots, trident maples to cut back and repot and JBP, JWP, JRP and Scots pines all need repotting. Oh, and the trees in my grow bed all need lifting this year to trim the roots and replant which my wife helps me with as I can’t lift anything.

So, what would you do? Do I just leave everything as it is this year and pick up again next? Or can I start repotting and thread grafting maples and all other general reports now? It’s risky isn’t it in case we get a cold snap? I’ve got a shed that the repots can all go in to keep them away from frosts but this won’t keep them from the minus temperatures if we get tue cold snap?

What do you think?

Cheers all,

Andy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've known several who have had back surgery... I was absolutely shocked at what they did so soon after surgery. Though there was a weight limit restrictions in the beginning.

Here's my thing...do you. Projects can wait if you are unable to do them. One year set back is better than tearing yourself up. Only do what is needed...if they are draining well...do they need repotted?

You are in the UK...so mild winters there too right now. We are finally seeing some colder temps in my area.

Are part of a club around there? If so maybe ask for some help from those in the club...to help with some things like watering and what not for now. Or get a watering system in preparation and just a neighbor or someone to peek in when they are set to come on...making sure they do.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep you favorite plants but sell off most of them. Get help from friend or family but don't put a heavy load on them, thus the reason for reducing your collection. Consider that there could be someone you could apprentice in bonsai care. This would be a win win.
Regardless, wish you well.

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks folks.

I can leave quite a few as is and just wait till next year but I’ve got some maples that I started prepping last year for thread grafts - branches have been wired into place and are ready to go - I think the branches will be too thick next year? I was wondering, if I do these now, what type of aftercare would they need?

Thanks again,

Andy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What if you woke up pain free one day?

Chat about it happens before 12 minutes.

Best

Sorce

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Think of this time as giving your trees a vacation. Several months of uninterrupted growth is a GOOD thing for many trees. You might get shoots in places you need them and the trees will be healthier. Get yourself healthy first . I would look at it as an artistic challenge..........kind of like when you bring a new tree into your garden and start the design process.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The stuff in the growing beds cab be shovel pruned by anyone while you watch and direct traffic. Maybe a kid in the neighborhood?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yikes!

Wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery.

I agree with leaving the trees another year if you can. The pines will probably be fine.

For any that you think absolutely can not wait, and for moving them around, GET HELP! Do you have some local bonsai friends that can help you while you supervise? Bribe them with a case of beer?

Absolutely do what the doctor tells you and don't push it! Back issues are no joke and nothing to fool with.

Good luck!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve got a larch forest to repot (which has just started shooting due to this ridiculously mild weather), maples to repot and run thread-grafts on for branches and roots, trident maples to cut back and repot and JBP, JWP, JRP and Scots pines all need repotting. Oh, and the trees in my grow bed all need lifting this year to trim the roots and replant

In your situation I would choose to ..
Don't repot, unless it really is a health risk (Most of the time we repot too often?)
Do the threadgrafts (at the right time, and get someone from a local club -assumig you are a member- to do it for you if you cannot at that time)
Cut back now
I lifted and replanted my growing bed ~last week.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks folks.

I can leave quite a few as is and just wait till next year but I’ve got some maples that I started prepping last year for thread grafts - branches have been wired into place and are ready to go - I think the branches will be too thick next year? I was wondering, if I do these now, what type of aftercare would they need?

Thanks again,

Andy
Maybe some photos for us to understand what you are seeing? I'm tagging @MACH5 He may be able to offer some sound guidance here on this topic.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Or set them on the floor right now. Later you dan do your stuff sitting down. It might take a whole day per container, but it's better than hurting your back.

I've heard about a few cases where people with back issues went into deadlifting. They didn't need surgery after all. I was following a case first hand, and the result was promising. But I lost touch with the guy.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Or set them on the floor right now. Later you dan do your stuff sitting down. It might take a whole day per container, but it's better than hurting your back.

I've heard about a few cases where people with back issues went into deadlifting. They didn't need surgery after all. I was following a case first hand, and the result was promising. But I lost touch with the guy.
He probably had a heart attack🤣

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
100% saved by Sarno!!
Sounds like bullshit until it works!

Care to share?

I watched this and got to thinking about how I have been in a place, numerous times, where I should have been stuck with pain, I was for a while. I think until I had too much shit to do to think about the pain, so it went away. That and CBD!

I believe. That dude is believable.

Sorce

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was pretty desperate. (Spinal fusion, nerve ablation, SCS, PRP) In bed all day with pain. I was planning on spending a fortune for a out of country trip for stem cells.
Then I read "Healing Back Pain" by John Sarno.
Within two weeks it was gone.
I would not believe it if someone told me.
Knowledge is powerful.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks folks.

Thanks again,

Andy
1. I have threadgrafted maples in January, provided a greenhouse with frost free conditions. Heater set to turn on at 3Celsius and turn off at 5 Celsius. No other aftercare. I was experimenting. Worked fine.

There is an excellent resource called the Back Mechanic, clearly indicates when surgery is not a good idea and outlines the clear very small % of situations where surgery is beneficial. Author is Stuart McGill and he discusses all the current and past back industry issues! What i appreciated was the analytical approach to share the key indicators as to when surgery might be the best option. Less than 5% of the time.

I am also waiting for back surgery after MRI, Cat Scan, Neurologist consultation, and two consultation with Neurosurgeon. Currently on wait list. The process can take quite a while. From 2013 till present i tried all the other exercise programs, gizmos, inverter tables, physio, chiropractor, massage therapy, you name it. After a while the self help direction wears thin, including the pain management clinics!
Based on my experience i would suggest that it may be possible that repotting season arrives before surgery. Unless of course the waiting list is shorter in the UK.
Wishing you the best with your consultation.

Attachments

• IMG_0307.JPG
    IMG_0307.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 0

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I had surgery on my cervical spine last winter and I chose projects that I could help direct other less experienced people through successfully in Spring. I led my dad through a number of repots when he came out to visit, and we had a wonderful time together working on the trees with him as my hands, arms, and back. I also invited over a friend who was about a year into the hobby at the time to get some experience with work he hadn't done before. The recovery period is long, but that doesn't mean you're incapacitated the whole time. If you don't over-do it and work hard on PT and recovery exercises you will come out a much happier person with a lot less pain. I wish you the best of luck and hope your surgery gets you back to living the life you want to live.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The issue is trees. Back surgery is incidental?
In most of UK climate is mild so similar to here. I can repot any deciduous trees from mid winter through to bud break with no problem.
Thread grafting can be done any time. Growth and healing will not start until trees start to grow in spring but there is no real problem in the meantime. I usually seal the exposed areas with cut paste or similar to reduce chances of infection and possible tissue dieback while dormant.
Hopefully by spring you will be mobile enough to water, fertilize and trim with scissors through spring. Anything else can wait until you are ready.
Look for helpers. You will still be able to direct operations. Asking for assistance is the hardest part.

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for all your replies folks - a good variety of ideas there!

My proposed surgery is to install a stabilisation cage in my back which is attached to vertebrae above and below my DDD. It’s quite invasive and has a long recovery time but, anecdotally, has quite a high success rate So I’m hopeful.

My wife and my sons can be my arms and hands for a lot of what needs to be done this year. I think my main cause for concern is carrying on with plans I have setup last year that need deploying this year - like the thread grafts. The general concencus of opinion seems to suggest I will be ok to do the thread grafts now if I provide some protection so I think I’ll go ahead and do those. The only other query is around the pines that I have that aren’t draining well and I had planned to repot this spring. Would these be safe to do now - if I give them protection?

Thanks again for your replies folks - I really appreciate it.

Andy

Top Bottom