bad at Trident shohin - from scratch progression

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Not much to share yet but i’m excited for this one and thought I’d start to document it.

Goal is to turn this trident into two shohin.

oZqaL7P.jpg

The first will be centered around the existing nebari. So we are looking at a chop for this one.

TYPJNwK.jpg

and for the second, I took some 6ga wire and put it through a bicycle tube and did this

0cmaWuj.jpg

goal is to create a pre air layer where the tree swells around the wire. Next step will be to air layer it off once it spreads a bit due to the wire.

Pumping with 12-8-8 for now. I cut that bottom bit / las loop of wire off as I don’t think I need it

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How did the Shohin plan go? That nebari is serious!

Sadly, and believe it or not, this crapped out. I had repotted it and it didn't grow too strongly, but I figured as a trident it'd be fine. After the layer it basically stopped putting out growth and the layer section calloused but never put out roots. I think I just pushed it too hard, but I was surprised a trident wholly died so easily. I had an issue early in the season where Daconil fried the first flush of growth, and that should have been my sign to leave it alone for the remainder of the year, I think.

Lesson learned. That one poorly timed spraying of Daconil really put me back on a few things. Most everything else I just left alone for the remainder of the year and they're fine. Working on growing some replacements, haha.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sadly, and believe it or not, this crapped out. I had repotted it and it didn't grow too strongly, but I figured as a trident it'd be fine. After the layer it basically stopped putting out growth and the layer section calloused but never put out roots. I think I just pushed it too hard, but I was surprised a trident wholly died so easily. I had an issue early in the season where Daconil fried the first flush of growth, and that should have been my sign to leave it alone for the remainder of the year, I think.

Lesson learned. That one poorly timed spraying of Daconil really put me back on a few things. Most everything else I just left alone for the remainder of the year and they're fine. Working on growing some replacements, haha.
That sucks! But there’s always time for more, I had a trident go, which was a surprise but think it was badly timed work as well.

Top Bottom