Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Only one wick on the top or multiple?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One wick works for me but I do use a wick designed for the purpose. Bought on Amazon. Buy the way, you can also place a good sized rock on top of the wick when placed on top. I actually prefer going through the drainage hole when I can.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Have found couple of them on amazon. Not sure what is the difference. Do you maybe still have the link for the wick you used?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was about a year ago that I bought mine. I don't remember the brand but I doubt there is much difference. I did not use the drip methode and actually my feed bucket was below my plants and I relied on capillary action alone. A lot is going to depend upon your climatic conditions and plant placement. It is something you have to play with a little to get it the way you want it.

gapoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Do you guys think my JWP and Japanese Maple will survive October to April in this kind of setup? I am planning to hang my JWP on this balcony edge to maximise its exposure to the sun. I'm on Zone 9 and airflow is very good. This balcony is facing East, slightly Northeast.

370059523_307633152196488_5054449183526284013_n.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
From google:

Do you get sun in a east facing garden?

East facing garden benefits

They get the sun in the morning but will be shaded in the afternoon so you can sit out in your garden in the warmer hours without worrying about excess sunlight. Your garden will be safer during a drought, which is a possibility, particularly in the hotter summer months.

Both should be fine. I grow on a balcony too, sometimes I bring stuff under cover if there's prolonged periods of rain or gail force winds. Im South facing so my balcony is an utter hot box in summer, trees love it.

gapoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
From google:

Do you get sun in a east facing garden?

East facing garden benefits

They get the sun in the morning but will be shaded in the afternoon so you can sit out in your garden in the warmer hours without worrying about excess sunlight. Your garden will be safer during a drought, which is a possibility, particularly in the hotter summer months.

Both should be fine. I grow on a balcony too, sometimes I bring stuff under cover if there's prolonged periods of rain or gail force winds. Im South facing so my balcony is an utter hot box in summer, trees love it.

That is reassuring, thank you.

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Do you guys think my JWP and Japanese Maple will survive October to April in this kind of setup? I am planning to hang my JWP on this balcony edge to maximise its exposure to the sun. I'm on Zone 9 and airflow is very good. This balcony is facing East, slightly Northeast.

View attachment 513079
Bobby Lane touched on it, but make sure you have proper drainage. I believe you guys get some good rain over the winter so if the trees are going to be out there make sure you have a well draining media that won't cause root rot.

I'm going to butcher it, but someone on here recently made a comment about soil. They effectively said that soil that holds too much moisture is a bigger danger than soil that dries out fast. You can always water more but you can't remove water from the soil. And with colder temps and more moisture, overly wet soil could be a tree killer.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yeh if pots become over saturated with rain, just bring them under the roof. If you have benches stick them under the benches.

Top Bottom