Bald cypress Air layer problems

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's under that now, probably in the low 80's range since i put in in semi shade. It's in a brown pot...better than black i suppose.
Measure it and know; quit guessing about things that are easily measured.
Root temperatures can easily be quite different from the ambient air temperature. Meat thermometer probes are less than $15 at any hardware or grocery store.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would suspect that the combination of high temps and possibly too much foliage at the upper part of the tree could have caused this layer to fail. I would have thinned out the upper portion, let it recover, then air layer it. Not saying this was the reason, just a theory. Always proceed cautiously.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I'm sure there was more up top when i started but the pic i showed today the top growth was so much more. It could be, I've seen a few of my trees with minor stress today. Most of it was on tender foliage though. I will keep that in mind next air layer.
For better or worse i cut off about half of the drying foliage. Not sure at this point it will make a diff but who knows.
I'll probably just do what dav4 said and wait it out till fall if they dry out like i suspect they will.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Fwiw, I've successfully ground layered at least 5 or 6 maples, so 100% of the foliage was above the layer site. Don't forget the dynamics of a successful layer. The existing root system continues to support the foliage above and/or below the layer, so a large, healthy root system is essential for success. Also, the foliage above the layer is what drives new root production, and I have never reduced the foliage above a layer as I feel this is counterproductive. Some will reduce the foliage after the layer's been separated, but generally not before. I really believe the biggest issue with why your layer is faltering is because of the root work this past spring?

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
It might be the roots i suppose. When i bought it was dug up, chopped, but with some roots. It busted out early growth and i let it grow at least a few months before putting on the air layer. Maybe it would have been better to wait next spring but all the info i read said they can throw good roots in a few months. Also leaving foliage below i thought it would be OK. Let's just assume for the moment it is the root system. Should i just leave it alone in the shade or put it back into part sun to make sure it's getting enough sun to feed the roots and give up on the air layer? Or just leave it be and keep it watered?
Either way it's still odd to me that it would up and drop the air layer after 5 weeks, we have had hotter days before and it never blinked with the air layer.
Lesson learned though on the roots, next time i will wait till the next year.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It might be the roots i suppose. When i bought it was dug up, chopped, but with some roots. It busted out early growth and i let it grow at least a few months before putting on the air layer. Maybe it would have been better to wait next spring but all the info i read said they can throw good roots in a few months. Also leaving foliage below i thought it would be OK. Let's just assume for the moment it is the root system. Should i just leave it alone in the shade or put it back into part sun to make sure it's getting enough sun to feed the roots and give up on the air layer? Or just leave it be and keep it watered?
Either way it's still odd to me that it would up and drop the air layer after 5 weeks, we have had hotter days before and it never blinked with the air layer.
Lesson learned though on the roots, next time i will wait till the next year.
I think that's the issue. Even a super vigorous species like a bald cypress needs healthy roots to be worked on and expecting a recently dug and compromised root system to support 100% of the new foliage while only 35% is going back to repair the original roots is going to spell trouble. I wouldn't have done anything to this one other then feed and water until next spring and would have only done a layer next spring only if it grew VERY strongly this year. For now, I'd leave it in the shade until you know the fate of the foliage above the layer. If the layer remains viable, I'd do morning sun only for a few weeks and try to gradually get it into more sun later this month, but absolutely keep it out of the wind. If the layered foliage goes crispy, move it back into full sun immediately.

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hell dude. You don't even know it can handle a good cold zone 4 winter.
I would have waited until next spring before I tried anything if it pulled through.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I was planning on putting it in shelter somewhere. No real concrete info either way that i can find what zone it will take. Some 4/5's
Most of the foliage dried out and if you touch 95% of it it just turns to crumbles...always stayed green.
I guess back to partial/full sun. :eek:

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
If anyone cares the bottom put out more new growth since the top foliage died. At least the main part lived. ;)

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What is the bark like just below the girdle? My guess is that you will find it to be thin, sort of soupy, and to come off easily.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I'm not sure, i just left the moss on hoping i might get some new buds, I will take it off here soon as this years branch growth on top looks pretty dead.
There is new growth around/under the bag though which is pretty close to the bark line.
Are you suggesting i cut it a few inches below the bark line if so?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There is new growth around/under the bag though which is pretty close to the bark line.
Are you suggesting i cut it a few inches below the bark line if so?
Nope. Just suggesting you untie the bottom of the bag, open things up and look at the bark right at the bottom of the girdle. Take a pic, maybe. Then you can put it back like it is now, if you want. I'm thinking you might find this area to be kinda 'punky'.

Also, if you have a spare small branch below, it would be informative for you to cut that one off and sit it in the sun like you had this tree when the top just went crispy. This would be just for educational purposes, so don't worry about it if you need all of those lively green branches it has below the girdle.

Top Bottom