Bald cypress from cuttings

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yes, I remember that now. We gonna get you that tree you want, somehow.
That would be most wonderful Bill.
Regardless of whether there's a tree or not. I'd love to meet up with you. We have much in common, including our line of work.

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
You can also join the arbor day foundation and get the 10 free bald cypress for $10. I had good luck with the bald cypress I got from them. they come about 2ft tall whips(the diameter of a pencil) and now mine is about 4ft and a little over 1.5" at the base in about 8 months. All I did was put it in a colander with bonsai soil mix and sat it in a tub of water and changed the water every 3 days or so.
https://www.arborday.org/members/

Last edited:

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bald Cypress grow so easily from seed, i wouldn't spend money on anything unless it was a large collected one or an already developed bonsai. I have around 30 or more I started from seed and all are around 2 feet tall my tallest are 3 feet and I only started them this spring so less than 8 months. I have mine growing in bulb pans in bonsai soil but that colander or pond basket idea makes sense. I've also had success collecting seeds early spring or late winter off the ground or still on trees and growing those in a wet medium by a space heater until I transferred them to bonsai soil after they sprout.

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
Bald Cypress grow so easily from seed, i wouldn't spend money on anything unless it was a large collected one or an already developed bonsai. I have around 30 or more I started from seed and all are around 2 feet tall my tallest are 3 feet and I only started them this spring so less than 8 months. I have mine growing in bulb pans in bonsai soil but that colander or pond basket idea makes sense. I've also had success collecting seeds early spring or late winter off the ground or still on trees and growing those in a wet medium by a space heater until I transferred them to bonsai soil after they sprout.
Yeah I agree to a point. But for $10 and you support a great cause it wasn't a bad deal. And you have a head start of about 1 year since the whips are probably 1 year old maybe thicker than a pencil now that I think about it. Ill post a pic tonight if I can get home before the sun goes down. Planted it the end of December and it woke up from dormancy in February It grew to 4 ft and I chopped it down to about 1ft in july and now its back to 4 ft again.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah I agree to a point. But for $10 and you support a great cause it wasn't a bad deal. And you have a head start of about 1 year since the whips are probably 1 year old maybe thicker than a pencil now that I think about it. Ill post a pic tonight if I can get home before the sun goes down. Planted it the end of December and it woke up from dormancy in February It grew to 4 ft and I chopped it down to about 1ft in july and now its back to 4 ft again.
I bought pond Cypress seeds rescently cuz there aren't any trees around me that I've seen, they sprouted a few weeks ago and I'm growing em inside till spring. I'd buy a Montezuma Cypress or a few if I could find some

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
For me every year in the spring LSU Agricultural Extension sell 12-16" cypress seedlings for a very cheap price. I can go that route if I wish. However, I'm pretty far up in age and don't have time to grow things from seeds except for fun things that I'll give to kids. For bonsai trees for my own enjoyment, I need a bigger specimen.

This winter I plan to go south to Cameron LA and collect cypress balls from cypress trees grown very close to the beach. These are a bit more salt tolerant than those we get from Lowes or HomeDepot. When hurricanes come and storm tide flood my yard, I want them to survive instead of dying like the big box store bald cypress I planted in the past.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That would be most wonderful Bill.
Regardless of whether there's a tree or not. I'd love to meet up with you. We have much in common, including our line of work.

How about you meet me halfway on this? ;)

I can be found at the Louisiana Day of Bonsai event in New Iberia next Saturday:
https://www.bonsai-bci.com/index.ph...-the-world-2/national/labs-day-of-bonsai-2018

Note that the event has the wrong location in the "Location" box. It is not taking place in Los Angeles. The address given in the description box is correct.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Now I'm sad. My niece's wedding is on that day.

How about you meet me halfway on this? ;)

I can be found at the Louisiana Day of Bonsai event in New Iberia next Saturday:
https://www.bonsai-bci.com/index.ph...-the-world-2/national/labs-day-of-bonsai-2018

Note that the event has the wrong location in the "Location" box. It is not taking place in Los Angeles. The address given in the description box is correct.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've always thought that day weddings on Saturdays were the worst. Myself having been married during the day on a Saturday. Who the hell ties up someone's entire Saturday? Yes, yes, it's a day to celebrate the union of two hearts, but it's sucking the soul out of your weekend! It's been a rough week and you sleep late on Saturday. Getting anything done in the morning just isn't possible. Then the wedding takes place before 4pm, which means, if your Catholic, that it isn't a "vigil mass" so you're still under obligation to go to church that weekend. A reception that starts at 3pm? Who the hell wants to be drunk on Saturday afternoon? If you're a day-drinker, you're pissing away your weekends, anyway, but most of us aren't. Which means you have to be sober to deal with your family. Shit. May as well drink. No one wants to be sober when relatives reminisce about how cute you were when you were running around naked when you were two, or about why you've made the life choices you've made. 3pm and you're on your second Margarita. Since it's an afternoon affair, it's assumed you got yourself something to eat at lunch, just before the wedding. Since the reception will be done by 6-6:30, it's assumed you'll go get your own dinner. The day is shot. You either go home and re-heat leftovers, eat fast food, or get suckered into going out to dinner with one of your annoying relatives. Why oh why didn't you eat more of those crappy pigs-in-a-blanket, mini-sandwiches, or Swedish meatballs? "I don't care where we go, so long as there's a bar."

You'd be better off doing bonsai. We've got coffee and doughnuts and we don't ask you personal questions or bring up ancient history about who did what to whom 30 years ago.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've always thought that day weddings on Saturdays were the worst. Myself having been married during the day on a Saturday. Who the hell ties up someone's entire Saturday? Yes, yes, it's a day to celebrate the union of two hearts, but it's sucking the soul out of your weekend! It's been a rough week and you sleep late on Saturday. Getting anything done in the morning just isn't possible. Then the wedding takes place before 4pm, which means, if your Catholic, that it isn't a "vigil mass" so you're still under obligation to go to church that weekend. A reception that starts at 3pm? Who the hell wants to be drunk on Saturday afternoon? If you're a day-drinker, you're pissing away your weekends, anyway, but most of us aren't. Which means you have to be sober to deal with your family. Shit. May as well drink. No one wants to be sober when relatives reminisce about how cute you were when you were running around naked when you were two, or about why you've made the life choices you've made. 3pm and you're on your second Margarita. Since it's an afternoon affair, it's assumed you got yourself something to eat at lunch, just before the wedding. Since the reception will be done by 6-6:30, it's assumed you'll go get your own dinner. The day is shot. You either go home and re-heat leftovers, eat fast food, or get suckered into going out to dinner with one of your annoying relatives. Why oh why didn't you eat more of those crappy pigs-in-a-blanket, mini-sandwiches, or Swedish meatballs? "I don't care where we go, so long as there's a bar."

You'd be better off doing bonsai. We've got coffee and doughnuts and we don't ask you personal questions or bring up ancient history about who did what to whom 30 years ago.
OH man! I so LIKE this post.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Going on that success I'm doing a batch of 12 cuttings in 12 oz cups filled with coco fiber & sand. Based on what I've seen, I'm going to keep those cups really wet. I'll report the result here in about a month or so.
It took 6 months but half of them are showing healthy buds this spring. Since I bought 50 seedlings for only $1 a piece I probably won't do ithis again.20190302_092323.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Just in case anyone still wonders about bald cypress propagation, here is my experience:
1. Best method: grow from seeds. Very easy. Grow very fast. Will catch up and pass cuttings easily.
2. Second best: air layer. Real easy to root out. The catch is to find a donor tree.
3. Cuttings. Possible but really finicky. I wound up with sickly plants that the one from seed catches up in just 2 months.

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Don't know if this is true but I had two and transplanted them to Black Lava and miraclegrow house plant soil and put them in a second container of water 2" up the trunk (as advised here) they grew fine for the full year but last year I thought I would cut the roots shallow and put them in the ground to allow the roots to flair radially. When I bare rooted them to put in the bed I was very surprised at how few roots had formed in a year considering the top growth was good. This may not have any substance when trying to get roots but it suggests being too wet may hamper further root development once it has some. You may want to root them as you normally would.

Top Bottom