Bald cypress growing tips browning

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've had this bald cypress for a couple of years now and I've always had a bit of trouble with it for one reason or another.
Last year it didn't do too well during the spring. That is until I dunked it in a tub of water for the rest of the season like @BillsBayou recommends and that really seemed to help perk it up and bring it back to life.

This spring it's been doing well so far but a few days ago I noticed that some of the growing tips and smaller new growth was turning brown and drying out. Can anyone identfy what could be wrong?

I did a topsoil change this year because I missed the repotting window and the older soil seemed to be mostly larger lavarock and small pumice (the soil it came in), could the bottom half of the rootball be drying out faster than the top new soil which is Boon mix?

20200419_201745.jpg
20200419_200041.jpg
20200419_200021.jpg

Here is the tree now. Will be pruning back and wiring around May
20200419_150023.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
One way to make sure it doesn't dry out is to keep it flooded in a tub.....this year in trying a tub all season, just to see.

I'm not too sure though.....about the tips you're seeing.

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most successful flooding technique mimics natural ebb and flow of the bayous.

Generally one would not expect the bottom to be dryer unless you are inadequately watering. Does seem to be something that is affecting some of the roots- doesn't appear widespread, yet... I get some of this on mine occasionally but I don't get too worried about it unless it becomes wide spread or the tree shows signs of weakening. We are certainly hotter than usual in TX this year. Might be time to get its toes wet.

What fertilizers are you using? Any signs of pests?

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
One way to make sure it doesn't dry out is to keep it flooded in a tub.....this year in trying a tub all season, just to see.

I'm not too sure though.....about the tips you're seeing.
Yeah that's what I did last year and it worked really well so I think I'll do the same again. Just need to get another tub since the once from last year degraded pretty badly :rolleyes:

Generally one would not expect the bottom to be dryer unless you are inadequately watering.
I don't think it's that I'm watering incorrectly, I think the old soil underneath has much larger particles of different sizes, and doesn't seem to have any akadama in it, than the new mix I put on when I did the topsoil change. That's why I think it may be drying out faster below than the akadama, lava, and pumice mixture on top.
No sign of pests, I've sprayed with neem oil and have kept a close eye and haven't seen any signs.

What fertilizers are you using?
Been trying out a new organic pellet fertilizer called Dr. Earth Life Pellets as per Jonas' Bonsai Tonight blogs and all of my other trees seem to love it. I also hit them with a chemical fertilizer (Miraclegro) about every 10 days

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you getting good roots out of the drainage holes?
Any other visible good Roots?

While Folks regularly have success with submerging BC, this may or may not be with a root system capable of handling it, and continuing to make good roots.

I think it is very possible, that a submerged tree with compromised roots, or ability to grow new roots, can stay alive while in water, and decline while not.

I would make certain this isn't the case.

And ask @Mellow Mullet bout the tips.

Sorce

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think the tree is too far from being alone in that pot. Either put it in a tub of water for the rest of the growing season, or repot it into a larger pot with wetter soil. Not general "potting soil" but something with a organic component higher than 60%.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I concur with the above school of thought that it should be repotted.... especially while it still seems to still be on the healthy side.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks everyone for your responses.

As of a few minutes ago I've submerged it in a tub of water.

@BillsBayou and @aaron, would y'all repot now even in full leaf?

Also, how do you fertilize while submerged?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks everyone for your responses.

As of a few minutes ago I've submerged it in a tub of water.

@BillsBayou and @aaron, would y'all repot now even in full leaf?

Also, how do you fertilize while submerged?
I use a water soluble chemical fertilizer. I just add it to the tub.
I also do drain the tub every so often and let it sit out of the water for a day or so, and put it back in.

Top Bottom