Bald Cypress...Sept. too late to repot?

emk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I found a 4-foot-tall Bald Cypress at Lowes. It was marked way down and was the last of its kind there, so I decided to pick it up and see what I could do with it despite it's shabby (though not quite unhealthy) condition. Here are some pros and cons about the tree:

Pros: Nice thick girth, new buds low along the trunk, and I've always wanted to try one out since it looks so similar to my Dawn Redwoods.

Cons: Several snapped branches, a few patches of brown needles, root-bound (to the point of deforming the shape of the small #3 container it's in and some thick roots escaping out of the bottom of the pot), and no branches lower than 16" up the trunk.

I'm wondering whether or not it's a good idea to transplant this tree this late in the year or if I should wait until next year.

I could "slip pot" it right into the ground without disturbing much of anything, but then the roots would still be a mess whenever I brought it up to work on it next time. Also, I'm right on the edge of it's hardiness, so this might be risky if it's not in tip-top health going into the winter.

I have a heated greenhouse I could keep it in over the winter months if I leave it in the pot it's already in or if I repot it into a wider pot with better soil. This would mean disturbing the roots to a degree and not exposing it to winter temperatures, which may or may not be an issue for this species.

So, any Bald Cypress experts out there have any suggestions for me?

GregM779

Seed
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's the same in Ohio but here in Florida we wait until the colder months to do work on Cypress trees as this is when they ar dormant. Maybe someone else in a colder region can respond but I domy Cypress work in Januray.

emk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Thanks Greg. I already went ahead and slip-potted it into a screened training pot so I can keep it in my unheated storage shed until late-winter/early-spring.

Top Bottom