Baobab seedlings - keep in small bonsai pot or deep pots to develop?

dand

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm in Colorado, and I have a baby Baobab (Adonsonia za - Madagascar Baobab) seedling starting to sprout! So cool, I had my doubts.

So, should I transfer that little guy into a deep pot for it's toddler years, or just keep in a bonsai pot of some sort?

I'm zone 5, and I know it will be an indoor plant w/lots of light until summer comes, and I can take it on short walks in the stroller in July/August.

I plan on adding some play sand to the bonsai soil mix I got locally. Kids like play sand, right?

Dan

Attachments

• Adonsonia za Madagascar Baobab Feb 25 2015.jpg
    Adonsonia za Madagascar Baobab Feb 25 2015.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 50

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's a good post on IBC about those. Andre's Baobab.

The roots are one of a kind.

And they heal from the inside out.

Definitely not your everyday tree, do a lot of research !

Sorce

dand

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_4833.JPG IMG_4841.JPG I left it to stay dry over winter, and late Spring, put it out and let it get Colorado rain. We had some small hail and so now with the cooler night temps, I'm keeping it inside.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 114547 View attachment 114548 I left it to stay dry over winter, and late Spring, put it out and let it get Colorado rain. We had some small hail and so now with the cooler night temps, I'm keeping it inside.
These are fun and super tuff! I have a seven year old one. For the first 5 years I bare rooted it for winter, wrapped it in a paper bag and left it in the in the bathroom window sill. Last year I brought it in the basement and put it under a HPS1000 with my Tropicals, probably do it again this winter.

Top Bottom