Beech (Sylvatica) Hunt Advice

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure of yr climate. If extremely cold, pile a mountain of mulch around it. Keep out of cold wind and sun. Should be ok. Next year it should start growing normally.

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
It's doing ok. I covered it with horticultural cloth for winter. The moss is growing under it so I reckon it let's light through ok. I see some buds through and they look ok. We still have sporadic frosts here right now and cold wind. I built a chicken wire cage around it. With cloth one side for the wind. I reckon in a month's time I will take it off before beeches break bud here. Will be sure to update with pics.

I did take three or four tips off the shoots half way through and got some side shoots extending but small buds so have to be careful I reckon! :0/

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Update on this beech. I managed to see it recently. I love all trees, but to see this one come through the brutal root and top working is very inspiring. It is not watered properly and practocally depends on the rain in that location!

I can never catch it as it is pushing out to limit the internode length. But from the one bud that pushed all those years ago. It's not doing bad. Roots must be strong now.

Probably too strong. I havent done any work on them since the start (which was drastic). The size of the buds over winter and the internode length look to be indicating that it is quite strong.

Last year too the active cambium pushed through the bark and I can now see the live tissue for any carving. It will have to be cut back to the first node to shorten the internodes and Ill have to be there when it flushes for that. Hopefully in a few years.

Meanwhile, any advice on it? Cheers!

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Update on this beech. I managed to see it recently. I love all trees, but to see this one come through the brutal root and top working is very inspiring. It is not watered properly and practocally depends on the rain in that location!

I can never catch it as it is pushing out to limit the internode length. But from the one bud that pushed all those years ago. It's not doing bad. Roots must be strong now.

Probably too strong. I havent done any work on them since the start (which was drastic). The size of the buds over winter and the internode length look to be indicating that it is quite strong.

Last year too the active cambium pushed through the bark and I can now see the live tissue for any carving. It will have to be cut back to the first node to shorten the internodes and Ill have to be there when it flushes for that. Hopefully in a few years.

Meanwhile, any advice on it?

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Apologies, trying to upload image over phone internet in middle of nowhere. Will get to a laptop shortly :/

Top Bottom