Beginner needs help with Mini Jade

Bimchi

Seed
Reaction score
Beginner needs help with Dwarf Jade

Hello everyone!

I am new to Bonsais and couldn't resist buying a Potulacaria Afra.

But I have alot of questions:

1. Is this the correct prune point? Can I just remove these big leaves and small ones will replace them?
YIFVODk.jpg

2. Where do I cut off branches? At the joint (what is it really called?), between two joints or at an intersection?
JFX7miQ.jpg

3.There are lots of branches with no leaves, how do I make the branches more "bushy" / more smaller leaves? It has lots of big leaves, just remove the leaves? Or cut further back?
q0VdfwO.jpg

4. I have no clue what to remove, what to trim/prune. I really need help. The big leaves look like crassula :eek:

thank you!

Last edited:
Reaction score
The joints on the branches are just the way the tree grows, if you were to cut between joints the stumpy bit would dry out back to the previous joint

It wont replace the big leaves if you removed them, but if you were to cut back to the stem just above two leaves the last bit of joint would dry out back to the last joint (which woulf end in the two leaves) the dry bit would fall of and new shoots will form from the nodes at the leaf base ( the point where the leaf as a whole attaches to the branch/fleshy twig

This plant can take alot of sun, and that woukd help keep the leaves small- Ive seen leaves as small as a corn pit/seed in wild growing bushes that survive on summer rain only

You can cut back quite farand it will bud back

Look for your primary branches and then secondary
I dont believe these can be wired, have never heard of them being wired so you would have to "clip and grow" meaning snip back and keep the shoots that are in the right place for your design

Sorry if I explained some things too much or little, better be thorough

If you're only starting in bonsai Id also suggest a Eugenia/Syzigium 'Australian brush cherry'
Ive experienced the bigger leaved one as easier and the leaves do reduce well
With heavy fertilizing you could easily see inch and a half shoots per week, with weekly pruning to stay on top of it

Reaction score
Also any piece you cut off of abouth finger lenghth you can stick into a pot with soil - it will grow

Add your location to your profile, people on here will ask you that (like just now hahaha)

Bimchi

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks!

Shall I cut/prune branches now? Or wait till the beginning of the next season?

austinwend

Seedling
Reaction score
You are not required generally, because these are not pest. This can even happen due to over watering and sunlight try to remove that to safer place.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The joints on the branches are just the way the tree grows, if you were to cut between joints the stumpy bit would dry out back to the previous joint

It wont replace the big leaves if you removed them, but if you were to cut back to the stem just above two leaves the last bit of joint would dry out back to the last joint (which woulf end in the two leaves) the dry bit would fall of and new shoots will form from the nodes at the leaf base ( the point where the leaf as a whole attaches to the branch/fleshy twig

This plant can take alot of sun, and that woukd help keep the leaves small- Ive seen leaves as small as a corn pit/seed in wild growing bushes that survive on summer rain only

You can cut back quite farand it will bud back

Look for your primary branches and then secondary
I dont believe these can be wired, have never heard of them being wired so you would have to "clip and grow" meaning snip back and keep the shoots that are in the right place for your design

Sorry if I explained some things too much or little, better be thorough

If you're only starting in bonsai Id also suggest a Eugenia/Syzigium 'Australian brush cherry'
Ive experienced the bigger leaved one as easier and the leaves do reduce well
With heavy fertilizing you could easily see inch and a half shoots per week, with weekly pruning to stay on top of it

All great information. I've wired them with aluminum wire but they grow pretty slow around here. You would want to watch them pretty close for tissue damage.

Top Bottom