Beginner wanting to begin!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Excuse me if I didn't turn to the library right away. In other circles I travel in, library books are few and far between, often outdated, and contain information that's usually wrong and potentially harmful. Plus, I find information acquired from first-hand experience (i.e. a large group of people who are devoted to the art and practices) to be much more helpful, accurate, and on-point than information acquired from a book that is likely out of date (my library isn't the best) and was written by one or two people and perhaps (if I'm lucky) edited by another person. That's the experiences of three people as opposed to the experiences of, what, fifty? A hundred?

You're excused, of course. Youthful hubris shows.

HOWEVER a textbook on plant propagation is much more likely to contain accurate information by knowledgeable, peer reviewed (and edited) professionals than a post on an amateur bonsai grower's forum by anybody and his kid sister.

I suspect I'm a bit older than you, and I don't find going to grad school that impressive. I'm a survivor of grad school (twice -- geology and journalism) and I think you won't have even seen vague until you get started there. After all, one of the main reasons for grad school is to promote clear thinking -- or it was 40 years ago when I was there; maybe it has eased up a bit since then.

That aside, it does get tiresome reading the same questions on a forum and knowing how easy it would have been for the asker to have looked it up in the first place. Beginning bonsai is neither rocket science nor particularly creative.

Rook

Seedling
Reaction score
You're excused, of course. Youthful hubris shows.

HOWEVER a textbook on plant propagation is much more likely to contain accurate information by knowledgeable, peer reviewed (and edited) professionals than a post on an amateur bonsai grower's forum by anybody and his kid sister.

I suspect I'm a bit older than you, and I don't find going to grad school that impressive. I'm a survivor of grad school (twice -- geology and journalism) and I think you won't have even seen vague until you get started there. After all, one of the main reasons for grad school is to promote clear thinking -- or it was 40 years ago when I was there; maybe it has eased up a bit since then.

That aside, it does get tiresome reading the same questions on a forum and knowing how easy it would have been for the asker to have looked it up in the first place. Beginning bonsai is neither rocket science nor particularly creative.

I'm not saying "grad school" to impress anyone. I'm not going to grad school to impress anyone. I'm going because writing is what I love and I want to be surrounded by people who feel the same way while learning more about my craft. Couldn't care less what you think about me ;)

Although I am wondering how that qualifies as "youthful hubris" (which is redundant, I might add). Hubris means "youthful pride", correct? How does asking a group of a hundred or so imply that I'm too young and proud to read a book? I'm having trouble following your logic.

Can you suggest any good textbooks on plant propagation? If that's the way to go, I'd appreciate recommendations so that I can get the best book possible.

As far as reading the same questions being tiresome goes - being a member of a forum where people are invited to post questions and problems and ask for advice pretty much guarantees you'll be seeing the same questions over and over again. That's just how it works. Everyone (myself included sometimes) thinks that their situation might be somehow different from the situations of others and that therefore their questions will be different or have different answers. Spend any amount of time on any other forum and you'll notice that this is quite common and expected by everyone on the forum. Veteran forum members (myself included on these other forums) are prepared for this kind of thing and easily rattle off answers they've given many times before. Typically, and definitely in my case, these answers are answers I was given by experienced forum members when I first joined and asked that same question. Beginners often have the same questions that other beginners had when they started and, for whatever reason, they don't always think to use the search function to find an answer.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Although I am wondering how that qualifies as "youthful hubris" (which is redundant, I might add). Hubris means "youthful pride", correct?

Hubris:

extreme pride or self-confidence (from wikipedia)

excessive pride or self-confidence (Oxford dictionary on-line)

Nothing in those definitions about "youthful". Might want to check your information before you go correcting people...

Rook

Seedling
Reaction score
You got me there. I did look it up to be sure and could have sworn I saw "youthful pride" - in fact, I'm sure of it. But now I can't find it again, so either the definition changed in the last few minutes, or I misread. So yeah, I misread.

Although if I wanted to argue with you, I could point out that the Encyclopedia Brittanica quotes Aristotle in saying "...young men and the rich are hubristic", so it could be argued that I was at least partially right :p

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
...That aside, it does get tiresome reading the same questions on a forum and knowing how easy it would have been for the asker to have looked it up in the first place. Beginning bonsai is neither rocket science nor particularly creative.

Jim, if it gets tiresome for you, STOP READING!!! You were an asshole to me when I started 8 years ago, and it seems like your mission in life is to troll the bonsai forums being a dick to beginners. Of course your advice is mostly correct, but I don't understand why you feel the need to be such a freaking grump.

gar732

Sapling
Reaction score
Didn't think this would be my first post but I just felt I had to say, Wow. I myself being a novice have been doing some reading like the OP and have a few questions about how to proceed. Sometimes engaging in conversation about a subject is more productive than reading about it. If you are tired of reading the same questions over and over again there is one simple solution, don't read them. Just let the friendlier forum goers be there to answer those questions and you read the posts that YOU will enjoy. The fact that you posted multiple times shows me that you were more concerned with being confrontational than helpful. There is some good info on this forum but in the future I will definitely try to ask questions elsewhere before I ask here. This isn't the first type of situation I've seen on here like this while I've been searching.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Can you suggest any good textbooks on plant propagation? If that's the way to go, I'd appreciate recommendations so that I can get the best book possible.

Here's the best: http://www.amazon.com/Reference-Man...1429306562&sr=1-10&keywords=plant+propagation

but I don't understand why you feel the need to be such a freaking grump.

Probably because that's what I am, but . . . as far as getting tired goes, as one of the founders of the Internet Bonsai Club I began answering questions on line about bonsai back in 1989, and probably have helped more bonsai growers than most of you have ever met. More and more, these days, it seems people are not doing any research of their own before crying for someone to help them.

You got me there. I did look it up to be sure and could have sworn I saw "youthful pride" - in fact, I'm sure of it. But now I can't find it again, so either the definition changed in the last few minutes, or I misread. So yeah, I misread.

Maybe it was too vague.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello! I'm brand new here - just joined today - and brand new to bonsai as well! I'm really intrigued by the art and can't wait to get started. To that end, I've decided I want to start a bonsai from a cutting of a juniper tree I've had in my front yard since I moved here. The tree is as old as I am and I know that I'll be moving fairly soon, so I thought it would be neat to be able to take the tree (or at least a tree started from my tree) with me.

My question, I suppose, is how do I do this? I've read almost every page I could find and they go through the steps, but they're not really specific enough. Here are the things I'm still fuzzy on:

1. What do I plant them in (tray-wise)? Do I do a lot in one big tray or should I take my chances with one cutting in one pot?
2. I've read that juniper needs to be outside and that cuttings should be placed in the shade so they don't fry. Would it be alright to keep them in my sunroom? It gets good light but not blaring light, and the temp stays about the same as the outdoors. We have some pesky critters who will try to eat things I plant and, when they realize it's not anything they're interested in, they'll just demolish it (I swear they're out to get me).
3. How do I take cuttings?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I get into this, but this is plenty to start, I think :)
Looks like you've taken the newbie beating and haven't gone away, so I'll try to answer your questions:

1. If you plan to take cuttings - I don't do junipers but the techniques are fairly universal - the key is the medium and maintaining moisture as you wait for roots to form. Moisture is usually maintained by either misting or, my approach, bagging the pot of cuttings with a grocery produce bag. I'm not sure how long it takes junipers to root, but expect 6 weeks for sure. Don't do one cutting in one pot. What I did long ago was buy an aluminum roasting pan, punch holes in it with an icepick, add sand (play sand or paver sand from Home Depot), dust the many cuttings with rooting powder, and bag with a dry cleaner bag or similar. Some will take, others not. Once they root you can carefully remove them and pot individually.
2. Outside and in semi-shade. No direct sun. Not inside. No juniper inside ever, except for showing your bonsai for not more than 2 or 3 days.
3. Simple use a pair of sharp scissors and cut smaller shoots with semi-hard wood somewhere between 1/16 and 1/4".

Hope this helps.

Zach

djm4243

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Zach, that "taking a beating comment" is funny! I've been here for a year or so and have refrained from posting, not shy or afraid, just not much to offer YET, but I am soaking up information. The information here is invaluable.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Rook,

Just for the record, my suggestion to read everything you can was not to discourage you from asking questions, but to encourage you to learn as much as you can about the basics on your own then ask more specific and detailed questions when you need to. It is much faster to get started that way. I would also suggest reading a few good books on basic bonsai as well as forums. I wouldnt rely on just reading online sites. The info online can be varied and confusing and it is hard to pick out what is correct.

Re: my questions about your grad school plans. The details of where and the situation you will be in are extremely important in your choice of plant as I stated before and will help us better answer your questions so that you can learn and avoid the mistake of trying to grow something that your circumstances wont allow for.

I'll also add that I too survived grad school and I found it to be a very different world than undergrad. They do expect you to do alot more on your own but it was a good experience for me. Good luck and enjoy your studies.

Top Bottom